XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XK Won't come out of park

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 03:17 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default XK Won't come out of park

Second day owning this car and a third problem. Car won't come out of park. I did figure out how to manually take it out of park but after I get where I am going and turn the car off, I have to manually override the gear lock system to leave again. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Old 01-16-2012, 04:33 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by moonpetal38
Second day owning this car and a third problem. Car won't come out of park. I did figure out how to manually take it out of park but after I get where I am going and turn the car off, I have to manually override the gear lock system to leave again. Any suggestions? Thanks!
dose it happen on flat ground on on a slope ?
if on a slope the hand brake might not be fully holding the car allowing part of the cars weight to be held on the gearbox when in park.
if its on the flat try letting the h/brake off and physicly push the car forward or backwards slightly to see that helps to let it come out or park. if possable get some one to push while you are inside to see if it comes out of park easer.
also what order do you do things to put it into park when you have stoped.
do you stop on the flat then take foot off brake then put it in park then h/brake.
or keep foot on brake then in park then h/brake.
may be try when you stop with foot on the brake to apply h/brake at the same time then take foot off brake with h/brake on and then park last.
or just leave it neutral with h/brake on?
non of the above might not help at all. but please consider different patterns for parking the car and see if that helps
cheers

The following users liked this post:
moonpetal38 (01-16-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 04:45 PM

Thank you much. In hindsight...after my husband came home and reminded me. Today I had the pillar where the visors are attached recovered. Is there something that the guy who recovered could have done to mess up the interlocking system?

Old 01-16-2012, 05:46 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you much. In hindsight...after my husband came home and reminded me. Today I had the pillar where the visors are attached recovered. Is there something that the guy who recovered could have done to mess up the interlocking system?
proabaly noting to do with the visors but i dont know for sure.
my last post was based from my own experiances from owning automatic gearbox cars in the past.
cheers

moonpetal38 (01-16-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,985 Likes on 2,124 Posts

Yes, he could have blown a fuse in the Body Processor Module (BPM). Check fuses #5 and #7 (both 15 amps) in the fusebox behind the panel on the left side of the dashboard between the dashboard and the door. Look for a broken filament.

I agree with the others that the brake switch is a likely candidate a fuse is not blown.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 01-16-2012 at 07:18 PM.
moonpetal38 (01-16-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 06:29 PM
Received 8,076 Likes on 4,871 Posts

Do your brake lights work??????????????
A faulty brake switch will not operate the park lock solenoid.

bob gauff

moonpetal38 (01-16-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 06:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had this happen in my 98 xj8. Found broken wire on brake switch. I'd check the brake lights as well. Rick

moonpetal38 (01-16-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 07:39 PM

Brake lights work. My hubby will check the fuses in the morning. Thanks everyone. This forum is super.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:44 PM
Received 211 Likes on 119 Posts

Recently had this, too. I also had a message that cruise control was unavailable - thought it was the J-gate solenoid, or the brake switch. Turned out simply to be a blown fuse.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update on the 2000 xk8 moonpetal38 is my wife . I checked the number 7 fuse it was blown took fuse out just curious i cranked car and all of a sudden the starter keeps turning over horn blows steadily . it won't stop till i disconnect battery i put a fuse back in and it still does the same thing engine turning over etc . also there is smoke from inside car ...... help please i am baffled

Old 01-17-2012, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by hjacobs47
Update on the 2000 xk8 moonpetal38 is my wife . I checked the number 7 fuse it was blown took fuse out just curious i cranked car and all of a sudden the starter keeps turning over horn blows steadily . it won't stop till i disconnect battery i put a fuse back in and it still does the same thing engine turning over etc . also there is smoke from inside car ...... help please i am baffled
Welcome to the forum, but sorry to meet under these circumstances !

The best clue I have is here:
Today I had the pillar where the visors are attached recovered. Is there something that the guy who recovered could have done to mess up the interlocking system?
My suspicion is some wiring got caught up in the fasteners for the visors and/or the center roof console when the interior roof header was replaced after recovering and is shorting to the body. I suggest pulling down (pull straight down) the plastic center console and see if any wires are obviously damaged. Then pull off the interior A-pillar trim (pulls straight out on each side). Then remove the screw covers and the two phillips screws holding on the visors and the single screws on each visor clip. Take the header down and further inspect for damaged and burnt wires.

moonpetal38 (01-17-2012)
Old 01-17-2012, 07:12 PM

Okay i found a wire crimped . but still the car steadily turns over and horn sounds. with the smoke could it have messed up the bpm.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member

Possible. What color wire connected to what?

Old 01-17-2012, 07:32 PM

it was the 2 black wires on the visor clip where the visor latches on the contact mount. that the only ones i see crimped.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:35 PM

I just went back and followed the 2 black wires to the connecter black/pink and white/red

Old 01-18-2012, 01:10 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

You should be able to access all of the files that the forum offers members with enough posts and a few days of membership, and as such, you should be able to download the JTIS (stands for jaguar technical information system) program that has an enormous amount of information for removing and replacing parts, but a totally separate section for all the electrical systems...schematics that are pretty easy to understand knowing the color codes, etc. You can find a link to get the JTIS downloaded in the Frequently Asked question thread at the top of the xk8-xkr subforum. In the meantime, I've saved the 2000 MY separately, and linked it here for you. Believe me, the JTIS has other goodies, recommend you go get it and do an install.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:00 AM
Unhappy

I am also experiencing the transmission not coming out of Park. I noticed when I unlocked the car that the interior lights that normally come on did not. But everything else went the normal way. Then when I tried to put it in Reverse, it wouldnt budge from Park. sigh .. had to drive the wife's Chrysler 300.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:05 PM
Default easybreezy

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Yes, he could have blown a fuse in the Body Processor Module (BPM). Check fuses #5 and #7 (both 15 amps) in the fusebox behind the panel on the left side of the dashboard between the dashboard and the door. Look for a broken filament.

I agree with the others that the brake switch is a likely candidate a fuse is not blown.
Well, easy breezy if you check the easy bits first...I.E. unscrew the plastic plug top left of the J-shift panel and poke your key gently down the hole while, gently again, pulling the gearshift down, but stop short of R until you get the key or whatever out of the hole...then you can pull it down to N. This is just to release the lever...won't deal with the likely cause, fuses!...As noted above the 15A big blade fuses at 5 and 7 ...they should be the ONLY 15A fuses in that right hand set when you open the fuse panel at the left of the dash (hiding under the door when it's closed.) If you have glow fuses that'll make it even easier to find, they light up like l'il fireflies when they blow out! Replace the blown fuse...15 or larger, but for safety's sake pick up a 15A when you can and save the 20 or 30 or whatever for later. And save the interlock switch for last. It's up in the dark along the brake pedal arm...not territory for the faint of heart or mechanically challenged! I can count on the fingers of one...finger, the number of times it was the switch, and then a drop of contact cleaner had it working again. Best! Retro