XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

XK / XKR Difference?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts
Default XK / XKR Difference?

Hi guys the newbie here. Apart from the obvious power difference what would you getting with an XKR that you would not be getting with a XK8?

I was looking for an XK around the 2003 mark.

Thanks

Old 11-08-2013, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 403 Posts

You can probably find the answer in the FAQ area but, in brief:

Brakes are bigger, the supercharged engine (of course), the transmission was different in the XKR pre-2003, some differences in exterior styling (louvers in hood, spoiler/trim on the trunk lid, black rubber trim around rear wheel arches, different exhaust pipes), and some minor differences in interior styling (door sills say XKR and also embossed in the center of the steering wheel).

Doug

Old 11-08-2013, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
You can probably find the answer in the FAQ area but, in brief:

Brakes are bigger, the supercharged engine (of course), the transmission was different in the XKR pre-2003, some differences in exterior styling (louvers in hood, spoiler/trim on the trunk lid, black rubber trim around rear wheel arches, different exhaust pipes), and some minor differences in interior styling (door sills say XKR and also embossed in the center of the steering wheel).

Doug
So aside from power and better brakes to handle that power not much difference.

I dont really need that extra power so I cannot see the value in splashing out a few extra K. Hmmmm

I did try clicking FAQ at the top of the page. I search box popped up and I tried typing in xkr then xk8 then various words but each time I got the reply "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

Thanks for the reply.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 403 Posts

When I started shopping around for a used XK8 I went through several iterations of thinking. First it did not matter but then I found about the problems with early models (Nikasil, plastic water pump, etc.) so I narrowed down search to post-2000. Then I learned about the improvements made in 2003 (4.2 liter and 6-speed trans) so I further narrowed search to 2003 or newer. I was still not thinking I needed an XKR but kept coming across ones and liked them (especially the subtle cosmetic differences) but realized I could probably get a one or two year newer XK8 versus whatever year XKR I was looking at. Still I started leaning towards XKR and luckily the one I stumbled on was by a private party near me who had really under-priced the vehicle so it was the best of all worlds for me.

If you can stretch it a bit I think you would be happy going for the XKR but it really will come down to things like how many miles are on the car, condition, color, etc.

Good luck with your search.

Doug

Old 11-08-2013, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by frankc
I don't really need that extra power.
Yes you do.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
When I started shopping around for a used XK8 I went through several iterations of thinking. First it did not matter but then I found about the problems with early models (Nikasil, plastic water pump, etc.) so I narrowed down search to post-2000. Then I learned about the improvements made in 2003 (4.2 liter and 6-speed trans) so I further narrowed search to 2003 or newer. I was still not thinking I needed an XKR but kept coming across ones and liked them (especially the subtle cosmetic differences) but realized I could probably get a one or two year newer XK8 versus whatever year XKR I was looking at. Still I started leaning towards XKR and luckily the one I stumbled on was by a private party near me who had really under-priced the vehicle so it was the best of all worlds for me.

If you can stretch it a bit I think you would be happy going for the XKR but it really will come down to things like how many miles are on the car, condition, color, etc.

Good luck with your search.

Doug
It sounds like you and I are/were going through the same thought process. I too have narrowed it down to the 2003+ model. 4.2 but the XKR is a bit of a leap in the price range. Though my intention is to keep looking over the next year for that bargain and the setup that I really want.

I am learning more each day, thanks to the likes of this forum. For instance the headrest problem, water pump problems etc. All this will be very handy when it comes to inspecting the car.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:21 PM
GGG
Received 16,865 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Used car values, running costs, traffic congestion and the epidemic of speed cameras in this country makes the decision process on buying and running either an XK8 or XKR in the UK very different from doing the same in the US.

Best advice is to try both and then decide whether the significant additional costs of the R are worthwhile.

Graham

Old 11-09-2013, 10:03 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

0-45 thrust from 1st in xkr is a muscle car level experience. enough torque to feel it in your belly.

however, I suspect an xk8 would sound better as v8 engine always sound their best without blowers, and you get variable valve timing that xkr does not have

I advise to wait for a car that drives perfectly and passes inspection by two different mechanics.