Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xk8 1999 auto 4.0 ltr.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 09:49 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I would clean the plug and see if the contacts have been upgraded first.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,544 Posts

Originally Posted by carl purchase
Its this TPS that looks like it have corrected what was wrong for over the period of in total about 6 months. Please send me your thoughts if you wish. Many thanks.
Glad to hear that the car is back on its feet. I would still want the ECU that was removed returned to me as, given subsequent events, its entirely possible that there is nothing wrong with it.

I'm intrigued that the dealer elected just to replace the TPS. Although the dealer doubtless has better contact with Jaguar than we as members of the unwashed masses, as far as I know the official line is that it's not available separately: the whole throttle body must be replaced.

Mike

Old 01-13-2016, 07:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbov8
To be honest Carl your friend has been very foolish in going to that particular franchise in the first place. Given the opportunity they will continue to replace components until the car is fixed, all at the owners cost.
It would have been prudent to have found a respected and recommended indy rather than these modern day highwaymen.
It's a very expensive lesson but he needs to get his car away from them.
Hello to you all, My friend as I mentioned that he have had his car back on 06/01/2016. He have used his car every day from that date on and when he uses it today it will be a week of no problems. The TPS that was fitted by Stratstones two days before collection, However, when Stratstones fitted a new ECU and Two O2 Upstream Sensors the first week of Dec 2015, there was nothing that changed at all that made his car run as it should.
He was in the same situation of it going into Limp Mode, Restricted Performance, Traction Control and ABS warning. This was the same as when the existing ECU and Two Upstream Sensors that was not changed. So I myself and my friend cannot see why they fitted the new ECU and Sensors whilst it made no difference.
Its this TPS that looks like it have corrected what was wrong for over the period of in total about 6 months. Please send me your thoughts if you wish. Many thanks.

Old 01-14-2016, 03:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 355 Posts

But you said previously that when they changed the ECU and the o2 sensors it ran fine for 200 miles:-

As of previous posts, A new ECU and New Upstream Sensors were fitted in the first two weeks of Stratstones having the XK8 1999. However, the car was run by them and then returned to my friend. My friend run the car to just over 200 miles without any problems. Then on Monday 28th it went into Limp Mode again and Stratsones had it back on Wed 30th.
You can understand why Stratstones might think they had found the problem if it ran ok when they returned the car.

The only way to prove whether the ECU was in fact faulty is to refit the old one - does your friend still have it?

Old 01-15-2016, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by dibbit
But you said previously that when they changed the ECU and the o2 sensors it ran fine for 200 miles:-

You can understand why Stratstones might think they had found the problem if it ran ok when they returned the car.

The only way to prove whether the ECU was in fact faulty is to refit the old one - does your friend still have it?
Thanks, my friend has not had the existing ECU as Stratstones sent it off as a surcharge against the new one. As I mentioned that when they fitted a new ECU and TWO O2 sensors there was no change in the car to run as it should, it run OK for about 200 miles, then its back to square one of going into Limp Home Mode etc.
These issues was the same as with the existing ECU and O2 Sensors anyway. When they then put in a New TPS on the 06/01/2016 its running as it should with no problems. To me they new this from the start of fault code P0121 and P0123 being the TPS, they wanted more money to put on the parts that was not needed. Please if you wish send me your thoughts. Bye for now.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:21 AM
Veteran Member

Without the old ECU its going to be very difficult to prove that it was not faulty - plenty of people on this forum suggested the ECU as being a possible culprit for the problems you were getting, so its not unreasonable to have changed it. However, from reading your original thread again it looks like Stratstones did the following:-

1) Replaced the O2 sensors twice
2) Replaced the ABS module twice
3) Replaced the Throttle Body (once)
4) Replaced the ECU - which got the car running again for 200 miles over 2 days
5) Replaced the TPS

It does seem that every time they have replaced something, the new one also didn't work. In the case of the Throttle Body, is it correct that the TPS on the new Throttle Body was also faulty?

Old 01-15-2016, 06:10 AM

Stratstones replaced the 02 Sensors once, the ABS was not changed by them, the TB was never changed by them, it's the original one, the only items they changed for new was O2 Sensors, ECU, and TPS. To me if the TPS was changed at the start it would run as it do now. Perfect.

Old 01-15-2016, 07:07 AM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

since when has anyone been able to buy a new TPS as a separate part? Have I missed something? I thought the whole TB had to be replaced..?

Old 01-15-2016, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,544 Posts

the only items they changed for new was O2 Sensors, ECU, and TPS. To me if the TPS was changed at the start it would run as it do now. Perfect.

+1 Kreyszig

To repeat: as far as I know the official line is that the TPS is not available separately: the whole throttle body must be replaced.

Wouldn't a surcharge on the ECU indicate that the supplier intends to rebuild it? I doubt Jaguar is in that business.

Just doesn't sound kosher to me...

Bottom line is the car back in service so at least the desired outcome.

M

Last edited by michaelh; 01-15-2016 at 08:02 AM. Reason: speling
Old 01-15-2016, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member

You can buy the TPS on eBay for a £100 or so.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member

Stratstones replaced the 02 Sensors once, the ABS was not changed by them, the TB was never changed by them, it's the original one, the only items they changed for new was O2 Sensors, ECU, and TPS. To me if the TPS was changed at the start it would run as it do now. Perfect.
It might be an idea to write out a numbered list (like I did) showing what was changed, when and what the codes were. At the moment it is very confusing because you previously said the O2 sensors were changed twice, the ABS module was changed twice, the TB was changed twice and so on.

No one can help you if the facts aren't clear.

Old 01-16-2016, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by kreyszig
since when has anyone been able to buy a new TPS as a separate part? Have I missed something? I thought the whole TB had to be replaced..?
As the issue with Jaguar that had loads of recalls about the TB that was not performing as it should, it was then that the TPS have been manufactured to save on the expense of replacing the whole as a unit TB.
An after market new TPS on Ebay is £32.50, a new one that is a genuine one form Jaguar made by Denso is £92.50. Hope this info helps you.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:13 AM

OK, Listed below is exactly what Stratstones have only done.

1) New ECU.
2) 2 x New O2 Sensors.
3) New TPS.

According to the garage that had the car previous to Statstones, he mentioned that the ABS Module was reconditioned, the TB was reconditioned, to me its a load of baloney, the reason for myself and my friends verdict is because the car was running no better ( ABS Warning Light, Traction Control, Restricted Performance etc.) to how it was prior to these items being reconditioned. (No Change)

When Stratstones installed a New ECU and 2x New O2 Sensors it was running OK for approx 200 miles and then back to square one again. So what was the point of changing any of these items that did not put the car to run as it should without a fault.
On the 05/01/2016 there was a New TPS fitted, on the 6th when collected the car from them, its now for the last 10 days to today's date running as it should with no faults whatsoever. Even a Diagnostic tool is showing nothing at all of fault codes. All that's been carried out by Stratstones has a 2 year Warranty for parts and labour, this is something that puts my friends mind at rest for now.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Loads of recalls ...

Really???

Old 01-16-2016, 04:59 AM
Veteran Member

So in summary, after your friend power washed the engine compartment and damaged the electronics, he took it to various mechanics who swapped various components without success until finally your friend took it to Stratstones who fixed it and gave him a 2 year warranty on the repairs?

He should really be grateful that he didn't have to scrap the car and I hope he has learned his lesson that power washers and engine compartments don't mix.

Old 01-16-2016, 07:38 AM

Great thing is I don't have to post anymore info on here as its all done and dusted. My friend has been so grateful that the replies on here that I passed to him have on times helped matters to ease his mind.
At his age now of 84, there is not much point in him owning a PC to do his own research. God bless you all. Happy New Year.

The following users liked this post:
cjd777 (01-16-2016)
Old 01-27-2016, 09:36 AM
Thumbs up

Great thing is I don't have to post anymore info on here as its all done and dusted. My friend has been so grateful that the replies on here that I passed to him have on times helped matters to ease his mind.
At his age now of 84, there is not much point in him owning a PC to do his own research. God bless you all. Happy New Year.
And by the way, if all his issues was created by jet washing the cars engine and messed up all the electrics, this would have created a load of problems from the start. Great news is that the only issue that was the cause of a problem was just the TPS and nothing else.
This should have been changed from the start and all else left alone that did not need replacing. That,s some garages that likes more money, but certainly not all are the same.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:52 PM
Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

I am hoping that strastones is a dealership or authorized jaguar repairshop if so look up who the president of customer service for jaguar {or vp}and call him directly about your issues about unneeded parts to correct the problem. if no satisfaction is found then tell them that you plan on calling the local tv stations and papers big companies don't like bad press.

Old 01-30-2016, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by wolfpck1
I am hoping that strastones is a dealership or authorized jaguar repairshop if so look up who the president of customer service for jaguar {or vp}and call him directly about your issues about unneeded parts to correct the problem. if no satisfaction is found then tell them that you plan on calling the local tv stations and papers big companies don't like bad press.
Thanks, sad thing is it's my friends xk8 and was given a 2yrs warranty for parts and labour of what they changed. I know as said that there was no need for all they done, when the ECU and 02 Sensors where changed, my friend paid in full, however, it never corrected the problem. The £92.50 TPS put it right.
Sad as it is, I don't order my friend @ 84yrs young not and what to do. Cheers and take care.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:50 AM
Default Powerfold door mirror.

My friends XK8 1999 Power fold mirror on the nearside is extending too far, Please let me know if this can be corrected by himself. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Xk8 1999 auto 4.0 ltr.