Sponsored by:

XK8 all kinds of electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 11:44 AM
Banned
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Default XK8 all kinds of electrical issues

Hi fellas,
not surprisingly, i've joined this site because i've just bought a 09/2000 registered XK8 which has more problems than i can shake a stick at.
Mostly they appear to be electrical, apart from a heater problem (no heat) which the seller assured me was diagnosed by his jag garage was a heater valve control unit, so i just bought a used/tested one off ebay because i couldn't get a price for a new one from a dealers on a sunday.
I'm just praying you guys can help me with the electrics, so here goes. starting with the display error messages.
ASC not available (Auto stability control)
Trac not available (traction control)
Restricted performance- on tickover, engine seems strong and oil pressure warning goes off by 1500 revs and gauge goes up to half way.
valet mode (occasionally)
The seller had put the car in his local garage (not jaguar garage) because the handbrake wasn't working (he said he hadn't driven it for some time, and the tax had run out October 11, i believe him). When we got there ( he picked me up from the train station ) we found the battery cover off, like they'd disconnected the battery for some reason, and the radio was asking for a code which he didn't know.
I know i should have tested all the electrics , but didn't, and i later found i had no instrument lights ( centre console lights, interior lights ok, cruise button and light work) wipers work but not washers ( no lid on water bottle, is it pressurised?), remote operated boot, but has since failed to operate anything, and when closing the doors, lifting the door handle on either door makes that door window come down further, the longer i hold the handle up.
She seems kind of cross wired somehow, or has a multitude of gremlins.
Anyone by any chance got any previous experience with this kind of combination of electrical gremlins?
I've read a number of posts regards key fobs( trying to track down a new one), and instrument cluster fuse location ( 18-drivers side dash fuse box- 5amp, not blown), but i've not had an XK8 before and i don't want to go playing with things before i know what i'm playing with.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:04 PM
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

As a fellow XK8 owner (bought not running a few months ago) I have been from a car that sat in non-running condition for over a year, to a daily driver, thanks to the help from this forum. The more I drive it, the more things I discover (that need fixing). Other than the useful help from this forum, another thing that really helped me tremendously was the purchase of the AutoEnginuity software for my computer with Jaguar expansion. It allows you to see a lot more data and Jaguar specific codes to help with diagnosis.
The traction/stability control issues are likely related to the ABS module (black plastic box attached to the brake unit in the left hand front of the engine bay) or the ABS wheel speed sensors attached to the brakes. There are plenty of FAQ and help here, so just ask. Everyone here has been so helpful.
Oh, and for the heat, it is likely the auxiliary heater pump and not the valve (crawl under the car and it is towards the middle of the car up above the transmission mountand exhaust, on the firewall).

Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
Roadhogg (03-05-2012)
Old 02-26-2012, 01:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hi.
First charge the battery or get a known good battery. Knackered batteries cause lots of problems.

It could be the heater valve or the heater pump brushes are worn so that the water doesn't circulate through the heater. The pump is awkward to access and expensive to replace so let's hope it isn't that. Some places fit new brushes to the pump to recondition them cheaper.

The windows just need resetting by putting them down and holding the switch until you hear a click. Then put them up and again wait for the click. They should then drop when you open the door and return when you shut it. if still problems it could be the door latch mechanism that's faulty.

Hook it up to a diagnostic unit. Preferably one with extended functions such as Autoenginuity or the Jaguar system. This might give you a clue as to why the ABS.Trac is warning. Commonly it is either the abs pump unit which has a faulty solder joint or a fractured wire to one of the front wheels. These corrode and break with constant wheel turning with time. You can replace just the lead. I repaired mine a few years back.

It should also guide you why you have restricted performance. Come back with the codes and we'll see what they reveal.

The lights and washer could be fuses. The handbook should list them or it may be inside the cover of the fusebox. It's worth getting a copy of the JTIS xk8 manual as I think you're going to need one! If not you'll need to do some fault tracing and lead checks. If it has a motorised steering wheel the wires could have fractured with the repeated movement. This happened to me on my X300. You need a sharp eye to find the breaks.

Replace the key fob battery & reprogram it to the car. This is fairly straightforward & you'll find instructions if you search the forum or net.

It should be worth it once sorted but a shame you can't enjoy your new Jaguar just yet.

best wishes
John

Roadhogg (03-05-2012)
Old 02-26-2012, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,356 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Sounds to me as if they charged the battery on the car.

Good advice to replace or fully charge and check the state of the original, a marginally fit battery will cause all sorts of ghosts in the machine. And, it's the main cause of the trac/asc/abs light and warnings.

Once you have a fit battery (charged off the car) try it and see what you're left with. Buy a cheap OBD reader and see if there's any engine warnings, note them and post here. The OBD port is under the steering wheel.

Also check ALL the fuses, charging or jumping these cars can blow them. It also confuses the modules (seats doors etc) Read about a 'hard reset' also.

Last edited by Sean B; 02-26-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Roadhogg (03-05-2012)
Old 02-26-2012, 05:09 PM
Banned

Hiya guys, and thankyou straight off for helping, i'm out of my depth with this car, never had anything with most of these problems.
The Aotoenginuity software, is it expensive, and do i need a laptop to hook it up to the car cos i live 2 floors up?
I might just leave it to a garage for the diagnostics, it's got to go to one anyway for the heater valve control unit fitting and a new fanbelt ( it squeeks for a while when started) and i haven't got round to finding out if theres any adjustment left so i'm expecting to have to replace it.
My neighbour bought an XK8 6 months ago ( no real problems with his) and he showed me the ABS module MR.CJ. In fact he said "see this" (points to it) " £1200 if that goes".
I'm praying it's the wheel speed sensors instead.
He's got a JTIS he said i could borrow for a week or so too, i found the fuse for the instrument cluster and cruise by looking it up with it on his computer. Fuse was ok though, so i'm thinking relay, or a short somewhere that blew all the dash bulbs.
Since i just ordered a heater valve control unit i'm also hoping ( nay, praying ) that's my heat problem and not the pump under the car.
I hope the heater valve cu arrives earlier than the 8-10 days they gave for delivery, because it's not going anywhere till then, due to the fan belt, and the fact i have no heat, no sound and no dashboard lights.
Nice to know i can reset the windows, i'll try that in the morning, but it could well be related to the latch mechanism twojagsv8, because when i shut the door from outside quite often the latch is vertical instead of horizontal, and bounces off the receiving bar so it won't close. Doesn't do it when i shut the door from inside the car though, how wierd is that lol.
I drove it 240 miles home when i bought it, should have charged the battery by then. Voltage gauge went up to halfwayish, is that ok? or shouldn't i take much notice of the gauge, and test it with something more reliable? I'll read up about the hard reset.
Thanks again guys, and i know this cars not even nearly tamed yet lol.
I'll take some pics of her soon and post them, at least she looks nice, or i think so anyways.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Jaguar!

JTIS is available as a free download in the stickies above.

I would suggest that the battery be load tested. In the colonies just about any auto parts store will do that for free. You need to make sure that the battery is good as the car is very sensitive to voltage. In fact, the starter will spin the engine at voltages at which the electronics will not function. The gauges are little more than idiot lights as Jaguar designers felt that owners had no real need for too much information.

You don't mention having a CEL on but with no dash lights that might be hidden. A fuse chart should also be in the FAQ sticky.

I agree with Sean B on the inexpensive code reader to start or, again, most AP stores will read them for free. About $50 here. The AutoEnginuity is a great tool but is about $500.

The ABS module is repairable for $150 or free if you are willing to take it out yourself which you would have to do or have done anyway.

Just consider this project like eating an elephant . . . take a bite . . . chew it up . . . swollow . . . take another bite.

The following 2 users liked this post by test point:
parker98 (03-27-2012), Roadhogg (03-05-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 06:18 AM
Received 6,305 Likes on 5,493 Posts

Good advice above, you need to take it one step at a time.

Roadhogg, you will not be able to access the information mentioned in the stickies until you have full membership, if you post up an intro in the new members section, there's a good chance the admin will upgrade you before you have met the time / post minimums.

Roadhogg (03-05-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 06:40 AM
Banned
Smile

What is a CEL please test point ?
I looked earlier for the JTIS download, but i felt a little swamped with info on download instructions and info on other cars like the x-type and s-type, so i'll try again later. This place is certainly a mine of info on Jaguars. I felt a little lost.
I did however play the videos on removing the centre console ( to get to the radio), and cleaning the wheel sensors, both of which i'll be attempting within the next few days.
I just tried the window reset and it appears to have worked, in so far as a few subsequent tries saw the windows lift and drop just a little when the door is opened and closed, using the handle. It appears to have cured the door closing issue as well. Is the door latch position linked to the window position or settings?
I also checked the charge on the gauge in the car, and it seems to be losing a little. It was only showing about 11.5 amps, i'm sure it was up nearer 12.5 yesterday. I think the battery may not be the right one for the car, there are 2 slithers of wood on top of it that the holding brace presses down on, as if the battery is smaller than it should be in it's space.
Is there a heavy duty battery that can be recommended for these cars?
I think i need a new one.
And would it be best to leave trying the hard reset till after i've fitted a new battery?
Oh, and is there any danger of popping airbags or being unable to start or get into the car if i pull the wrong fuse while checking them?
I think i'll pass on the aoutoenginuity, but the OBD reader sounds like a must do.
I guess the windows and door closing remedies were my first little bite, fingers crossed

Old 02-27-2012, 06:47 AM
Banned

I thought not Norri, at least 10 posts over more than 3 days if i read right.
I was going to leave the intro till i'd had a chance to take some nice pics of the car, but i can borrow a JTIS off my neighbour in the short term, so all is not lost. Thanks for the info.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:21 AM
GGG
Received 16,849 Likes on 12,184 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadhogg
What is a CEL............I think the battery may not be the right one for the car, there are 2 slithers of wood on top of it that the holding brace presses down on, as if the battery is smaller than it should be in it's space.
Is there a heavy duty battery that can be recommended for these cars?
I think i need a new one...............
CEL = Check Engine Light a.k.a MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light)

The original battery fitted to the car would be VARTA LRA1250AA:

XK8 all kinds of electrical issues-01-battery.jpg
XK8 all kinds of electrical issues-02-battery-label.jpg

Hover over the images to enlarge them.

Replacement from Jaguar is around £120. Same battery elsewhere from just under £100.

Other makes will fit but it's important to have the vent pipe fitted.

Graham

Roadhogg (03-05-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 08:48 AM
Banned

OK just had a look, try not to laugh too loud lol.
The battery is a 45AH 420 amp job, looks like the battery off a ford fiesta or something.
Would you happen to have another piccie showing the vent on the battery by any chance GGG?
I can't see the vent pipe from those pics and i'd like to make sure i get the right battery, vent pipe included.
Just bought a key fob (case only) off ebay and batteries for it (CR2032), the plan being to bin the case but transfer the buttons with nice new undersides to my existing key fob, till i can get a proper new fob.
Can't see any check engine light displayed, is it a red warning light like on the oil pressure and voltmeter gauges?

Old 02-27-2012, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

The battery is a 45AH 420 amp job, looks like the battery off a ford fiesta or something.

That explains the broad nature of the problems you're having. I wouldn't spend another minute diagnosing anything until you have the proper battery installed, new and at full strength, and then do a hard reset.

HARD RESET PROCEDURE:

1. Ignition OFF.

2. Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery.

3. Turn key to ignition ON position.

4. Touch disconnected NEGATIVE terminal of battery to the still-connected POSITIVE terminal for 15 seconds or so.

4. Turn ignition back OFF.

5. Reconnect NEGATIVE terminal to battery.

Then start her up and see if things are better. But as above, you need to make sure your battery is at FULL STRENGTH.

Note that anytime you disconnect the battery, you must reprogram the windows. With the doors closed, raise each window to the top and continue to hold button until you hear a faint "click," about an additional 3 seconds. Then lower each window to the bottom and continue to hold the button until you hear the same "click." Voila, you've reprogrammed the windows.

Roadhogg (03-05-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 09:10 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I agree replace the battery and do a hard reset.

Roadhogg (03-05-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 09:24 AM
GGG

Would you happen to have another piccie showing the vent on the battery by any chance GGG?
I can't see the vent pipe from those pics and i'd like to make sure i get the right battery, vent pipe included.
Just bought a key fob (case only) off ebay and batteries for it (CR2032), the plan being to bin the case but transfer the buttons with nice new undersides to my existing key fob, till i can get a proper new fob.
Can't see any check engine light displayed, is it a red warning light like on the oil pressure and voltmeter gauges?
Here's the battery with the black bar retaining clamp:

XK8 all kinds of electrical issues-varta-clamp.jpg

The battery is approximately 13.5 ins long x 6.75 ins wide x 7.5 ins high. Some are translucent like this one, others are black.

The Vent Tube is the black flexible plastic pipe coming out of the end of the battery and looping down through the boot floor. I've rotated it upwards to show in the photo, The vent normally points down and is almost hidden behind the battery.

XK8 all kinds of electrical issues-varta-vent-pipe.jpg

The CEL is an amber warning light on the main instrument cluster. Do you have the handbooks for the car? Well illustrated in there.

Graham

Roadhogg (03-05-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 11:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"...seems to be losing a little." As recently stated... replace the battery. A few months ago when I bought my '05 XK8 I had some of the problems you have described such as with the windows. I would do the window setting procedure and it would work for a few days and then start back with not working properly. Battery started the engine fine and tested OK... but was a little weak on load. Finally replaced battery - problem solved. Like the Nike ad says... "Just do it." Jag electronics are VERY sensitive to minor battery issues.

Roadhogg (03-05-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 12:20 PM
Banned

There are no handbooks with the car, and no service history either.
In fact i bought this car by mistake, having woken up and logged on to Ebay just 10 mins before the auction ended. I'd mistaken the details on it for those of a similar car, and didn't realise the mistake over the service history until after i put a bid in with a max of £4000 when it was at £3700.
It only got to £3900, and stopped there till the auction ended.

It was also 200 miles away from home, and i'd set myself parameters of nothing over 100 miles away and a service history was essential.

I then compounded the errors when i went to get it, by not test driving it because it was parked in a garage, having gone in because (apparently) the handbrake had stopped working, and the owner had parked his car across the front of it when he took me to see it. He was also (apparently) working and needed to get to newcastle asap. I did check the oil and start it up, and i'd previously walked away from an XK8 i'd viewed because of a top end rattle when i started it. This one only made the noises it was supposed to, once the mechanic had sprayed the fanbelt to stop it squeeking lol.
I didn't even check the gearbox for any delay in engaging, so i'm lucky there isn't any.
I can probably claim to be the ultimate example of how NOT to buy an XK8 lol.
But it's done now, and on the plus side £3900 for an 09/2000 with 69,000 and a clean vehicle status report, almost new tyres all round, sports rear section exhaust, red powder coated front calipers and £60 off for the fanbelt and radio coding . . .well it could have been worse . . . i think.
I wish you hadn't mentioned the handbooks lol.
I wasn't going to tell you this stuff.

Back to the issues at hand i've seen plenty of batteries for XK8's on ebay today, but none have the vent pipe. Maybe it's an extra. I'll check it out, get both, do a reset and see how she goes.
Thank you again to everyone, you're all teaching me. I just wish i'd known when i went to get the car, what i know now.
It would be easy to say i'd have walked away, but in truth i don't think i would. I'd have offered him £3600 instead cos of the battery and electrical issues, and if he'd have accepted it i'd have bought it anyway.

Time will tell if i did good or bad.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:42 PM
GGG

After that experience you deserve as much help as you can get!

You can download a full set of handbooks for your car from this thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-2003-a-67827/

All the manuals are on my MediaFire account and there's download links to them in the thread. You'll need 10 posts before you can view and open the PDF's but you're nearly there already.

The correct battery comes with a small right angled plastic outlet. The flexible vent pipe in the car pushes onto this. I've just had a look on eBay UK and there's plenty of batteries but few of the right ones and they aren't cheap at the moment. Give the Jaguar Dealer a ring. You nothing to lose making an enquiry and could be pleasantly surprised at their price. I've ended up buying my last two at the dealer after comparing prices.

Graham

Roadhogg (03-05-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 12:47 PM
Received 6,305 Likes on 5,493 Posts

It feels good to unburden doesn't it?

You can download the handbooks here TOPIx - TOPIx

Roadhogg (03-05-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 12:56 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by Norri
It feels good to unburden doesn't it?

You can download the handbooks here TOPIx - TOPIx
Norri,

Unfortunately you can't get all the full sets on TOPIx. That's why I put them on a thread.

Graham

Roadhogg (03-05-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 01:11 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Replacing the battery should be your first step these cars are dependent on a healthy battery. Your next step should be to read your OBDII codes and jot them down (all of them) and then clear them. Doing this you will have a record of what you had and if the codes comes up again I would say you need to investigate it.

Did the previous owner give you any idea of the health of this car or any history? When you call the Jaguar dealership ask for a little history on the car if they have it. The “I am pressed for time” is one of the oldest tricks in the book; I hope it was not played on you.

My advice to you is to take one thing at a time. You are in the right place for help.

Roadhogg (03-05-2012)

Quick Reply: XK8 all kinds of electrical issues