XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XK8 all kinds of electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 02:33 AM
GGG
Received 16,849 Likes on 12,184 Posts

Good to hear you're getting through the issues and had the car on the road again.

If there's any doubt on the tensioners, park it up become a full time Mondeo-Man until the finances recover. If they let go it will add at least a zero to the replacement cost to fix the damage.

Graham

Old 04-17-2012, 05:59 AM
Received 6,305 Likes on 5,493 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadhogg
I don't know if i could afford the chains and tensioners just yet Norri, although it would probably make sense if i could, since it seems the fans and radiator have to come out for the crank seal anyway.
I should know more when she goes in to JLC's on Thursday.
Did i mention they also gave me the radio code for free?
If you're going to do the crank seal I'd think hard about the tensioners also.
The uppers are the really dangerous ones you could change those without the chains for some peace of mind.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:33 PM
Banned
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I just took it to my local garage because i couldn't get the front brake hub bolts undone to fit the new front discs. They loosened them for me by putting the car up on the lift and using a 2 & 1/2" foot breaker bar, after removing the calipers.

While the car was up on the lift i looked underneath and asked the mechanic for a price to renew the crank seal. He said about £80 labour plus the cost of the seal. Seems there's a lot more room to work from underneath and he said he wouldn't need to remove the radiator or fans.
But he looked at the fluid and touched it, and it was red.
The radiator header tank was empty, but only just, because it took less than 2 pints to top it up.
I'm inclined to think it might be the water pump gasket that's leaking, but there's a small amount of water leaking from the thermostat housing on top of the engine, so this could be running down the front of the engine to the bottom.
I think there's also a slow oil leak from somewhere, but i still couldn't find the source.

No such thing as peace of mind on a car with no service history, so there has to be doubt about everything i haven't had done, or been able to varify.
Before i can make any decisions i have to find out exactly what's wrong, so when she goes in to JLC's Thursday, i'll ask them to investigate the leaks, and take it from there.
Only way to be sure of the tensioners is to check them with the valve covers off, so that's on the to do asap list as well.

When it comes to tinkering with the engine myself, i must admit my bravery is a little suspect. Perhaps i need a few of these

Old 03-08-2015, 07:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please help. XK8 dash lights go out when side & headlamps are on

Old 03-08-2015, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 655 Likes on 463 Posts

Rebel.

It is a peculiarity of these cars that the dash / switch etc lights are on until you switch the exterior lights on at which point the dimmer knob on the steering column comes into play. Have you tried turning this to see if it makes any difference ??

The following users liked this post:
rebel (03-09-2015)
Old 03-08-2015, 09:38 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Roadhogg
What is a CEL please test point ?
I looked earlier for the JTIS download, but i felt a little swamped with info on download instructions and info on other cars like the x-type and s-type, so i'll try again later. This place is certainly a mine of info on Jaguars. I felt a little lost.
I did however play the videos on removing the centre console ( to get to the radio), and cleaning the wheel sensors, both of which i'll be attempting within the next few days.
I just tried the window reset and it appears to have worked, in so far as a few subsequent tries saw the windows lift and drop just a little when the door is opened and closed, using the handle. It appears to have cured the door closing issue as well. Is the door latch position linked to the window position or settings?
I also checked the charge on the gauge in the car, and it seems to be losing a little. It was only showing about 11.5 amps, i'm sure it was up nearer 12.5 yesterday. I think the battery may not be the right one for the car, there are 2 slithers of wood on top of it that the holding brace presses down on, as if the battery is smaller than it should be in it's space.
Is there a heavy duty battery that can be recommended for these cars?
I think i need a new one.
And would it be best to leave trying the hard reset till after i've fitted a new battery?
Oh, and is there any danger of popping airbags or being unable to start or get into the car if i pull the wrong fuse while checking them?
I think i'll pass on the aoutoenginuity, but the OBD reader sounds like a must do.
I guess the windows and door closing remedies were my first little bite, fingers crossed
Count the windows and door closing remedies as the first two victories, and march on! As the old saying goes," the longest journey begins with a single step". There, don't you feel better! Seriously, look at the problems (or "opportunities") one at a time, and it will not seem so over-whelming. Welcome the opportunities and remember, it beats daytime TV!

Old 03-09-2015, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by DevonDavid
Rebel.

It is a peculiarity of these cars that the dash / switch etc lights are on until you switch the exterior lights on at which point the dimmer knob on the steering column comes into play. Have you tried turning this to see if it makes any difference ??
Have tried all the obvious, had hoped for a simple fix but it looks like redirecting wireing. Any suggestions would be welcome. I am near Servern Bridge, do you know any Jag experts in your area.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:06 PM

hey folks, had a similar problem of what looked like a catastrophic 12v failure,,, the car just wouldn't start and then it would. I did find that during the last/final failure that the dash lights would modulate their brightness (the regulator working) which pointed to the battery. Through Jaguar Forum i was able to track it to the 12v terminal block in the trunk... a couple of 1/4 turns on each nut and the problem went away. Thank you gentlemen. (BTW Jegs sells a battery acid absorbing mat to put under the battery so the area doesn't rot out)