XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

XK8 auto tranny service-P1722-See New Message!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 07:24 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default XK8 auto tranny service-P1722-See New Message!

I was reading my Owners manual today and going over service frequency etc. They mention servicing the tranny in XJ V6 models every 30K miles but there is NO mention of auto tranny service for the XK8.

Not only that, there doesn't even appear to be a dip stick to check the tranny fluid and no mention of one in the manual.

What gives here? I've never heard of an auto tranny that doesn't require service. Does the XK have some sort of super duper tranny fluid that never needs to checked or changed?

Old 06-04-2007, 04:44 PM
Default RE: XK8 auto tranny service

Ok, for those that didn't know the answer to this question, I called a Jag Dealer today and spoke with a guy in Service.

He told me that since mid '97 they began putting sealed trannys in these cars, which means no dip stick, and no scheduled maintenance. He said the fluid is supposed to be good for 100K miles but me told that even that point he wouldn't recommend messing with it unless there was an issue.

Considering a new tranny is about $7500, I think I'll service it at 100K miles, if I decide to keep the car after that point.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Most transmission specialty shops can service this transmission. It's done with a machine that connects to the cooler lines. The dirty fluid is pumped out and clean fluid replaces it. Be certain they use the correct fluid. They can also change the filter before replacing the fluid. It's a screen just like any other transmission. I wouldn't let it go so long. IMHO

Old 06-04-2007, 06:00 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You can do a tranny flush.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:28 PM

You're probably right. I am amaintenance freak and I don't like not knowing when or if such things were done.

Anybody know where I can get another ring pull fastener for the boot? I want to order a new boot but am missing one fastner.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:41 AM
Default RE: XK8 auto tranny service-P1722 Code

Good news and bad news.

Good news. Balancing the tires all but eliminated the road shake at over 70 mph.

Bad news. I had to romp on the gas peddle yesterday to get out of another cars way on the highway. Immediately afterwards, the tranny seemed to slip in out of gears a few times.

Then this morning it did the same thing before the engine got warmed up and a "Poor engine performance" light came on. I was on my way to the garage to get the tires balanced anyway, etc, so I had them run diagnostics.

It came up as astored P1722 code, which is a transmission stall speed failure. Possible causes are transmission oil level low (no leaks, so Mechanic didn't think that was it), selector cable adjustment, outspeed sensor problem (P0721), transmission mechanical failure.

What's the chance that simply servicing the tranny, as discussed above, will resolve this? Thank god for the drivetrain warranty if it's mechanical.

No problems on the way home but it seems to be more susceptible when the engine is cold.

Old 06-10-2007, 02:23 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Glad to hear the balancing fixed the vibration at high speeds. Keep us up to date on the tranny issue though, I have absolutely no idea which issue could be causing your slipping of the gears and the error code. Hey, at least if it's a transmission failure, and you have the warranty, you can get yours rebuilt for free and not have to worry about even another service for another 100k.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:31 AM

The error message I initially got was "Poor vehicle performance".

Then I got it back again yesterday when I first started the car up, before even putting it in gear. It didn't want to go until it warmed up, then it was fine. After starting and stopping the engine a few times over the space of a few hours the message went away again.

As long as the car is warmed up it runs great, so I'm not sure there really is a problem with the tranny. It seems to just not like the gasoline here in CT, etc. We'll see how it runs after servicing.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:26 PM

It turns there is noting wrong with the tranny at all. It hadn't acted up for me the last two times I drove it and wouldn't act up for the Mechanic, plus he saw nothing wrong with the internal components when he opend it up to service it. So all he did was a filter & fluid change.

It still cost me $368 though because the fluid is $24 a quart and it took six. Filter kit was almost $90. The rest labor. Ouch!

Old 06-15-2007, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Always good news when it's just maintance!

Old 08-11-2007, 11:11 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

JRabbit, I asked the exact same question to my dealer/service department when I bought mine. He recommended at 90k miles to get it serviced. I probably won't wait that long, but it was good to hear that the tranny's are durable enough to handle that. Must be all that synthetic fluid they use.

In comparison...i service the differential every 25,000 in the Jeep, and the tranny every 50,000.

Glad to hear it coming from another service guru though. thanks.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:30 PM
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

This is what alldata.com said about the topic.

Filled-For-Life Fluid System
The transmission fluid is filled for life and does not require changing except for prolonged driving under severe conditions. Routine level checking is not required and a dipstick is not provided. A level/filler plug is fitted for service level checking and replenishment if required

Shell ATF 3403 M115
Capacity 9.5 L (10.0 qts)

So it sounds like they only changed the oil in the case and not the torq converter. some times with maintenance shops ya have to tell them to do a "flush" not a oil changed. because to them a oil change in dropping the pan and then re-filling it. which does not get the oil out of the torq converter.

This is something that i am also planning on doing when some extra cash rolls around [:@]. im at 98K and its on the original oil. When i called the shop i bring my car to this is what they told me "The Transmission is a Mercedes transmission. it uses a thermally stable full synthetic trans fluid this is not supposed to ever brake down. The dealer recommends never changeling the fluid."

I am a full supporter of full synthetic fluids, But i don't think that there is any way that a trans fluid can last that long. with as hot as transmissions are when you are driving, coupled with the fact that these are fairly heavy cars and have a good amount of hp behind these motors. i don't think i am going to let it go past 100K.