XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

XK8 Brake light switch repair guide

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 01:13 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Hi RJ237, thank you for your insightful information.

I was able to verify the continuity of the 2 circuits with the pedal depressed is correct and as expected.

Upon dis-assembled the brake light switch assembly and physically inspect the 2 microswitches, I can see and feel that the spring on one of the microswitch has more play than the other. it certainly has worn out some compared to the other one. Now I believe this is the root cause of the problem. That is the spring rate of the 2 microswitches is no longer the same. So when the brake pedal is depressed, on some occasions, the 2 springs of the microswitch do not work in unison.

Old 08-22-2018, 05:07 AM
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Flakster
Jaguar XK8/XKR 1998

Step by step guide to replacing and/or repairing a brake light switch to restore the cruise control function.
Suggestion: Revise guide for LJB6420BB PCB solderable switches for RS Electronics 682-1557 (Omron D2HW-A221D). Enables job without cutting wires and no drilling needed.

Revise guide for LHF6420DA 1996-1997 MetalBracket version can be repaired with:
2x RS # 560-574 (DIN 7885 - M2.5x20) Bolts
2x RS # 560-287 (DIN 934 M2.5x6M) Nuts
2x RS # 320-512 (Cherry DC1C-C3LC) Microswitches

Black - Gray = Opening contact
Black - Blue = Closing contact

Your welcome,

Tomi

The following 2 users liked this post by tlindi:
RaceDiagnostics (02-12-2019), volkris (05-04-2019)
Old 08-22-2018, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 354 Posts

I would suggest that many of the intermittent problems with the brake switches are the result of dry solder connections where the switches are attached to the small circuit board.

That was my experience and since re-soldering the original (apparently) wayward switches I've had many thousands of trouble free miles.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:09 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 03 XKR
I replaced the switch on mine as well, but did not want to go through the nightmare bracket replacement. I had read about this method of replacing the electronics only, and in less than 5 minutes, I had replaced my Brake Switch Electronics, start to finish.

1.) Place hand mirror on floorboard.

2.) Sitting on ground next to vehicle, reach up and bend the bracket toward the Passenger door ~1.5"s, while holding the brake pedal down to clear the Brake Pedal Lever, the bracket will bend very easily, do not push hard.

3.) Remove bottom nut with small Ratchet and Socket, clip tie wrap and disconnect harness, lift electronics over nut post on bottom of bracket and swing ~15-30 degrees to the side to clear the bracket and pull electronics off, no need to loosen the top nut.

4.) Install new electronics to old bracket in reverse, paying attention to the plastic washer at the top, and bend bracket back straight while holding brake pedal down so the lever clears the switch in the electronics, re-connect harness.

This is how I replaced my Brake Light Switch, I encountered no problems and the CC works every time, and like I said, it took 5 minutes. The mirror on the floorboard allows you to see everything that you are doing.
did you have to cut the carpet,, etc., to gain access to the switch or is it relatively open enough to get to the nuts once the bracket is pushed aside?

Great post, BTW...….best explanation that I have seen.

Old 10-08-2018, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 908 Likes on 482 Posts

MOT passed this morning, CC warning this afternoon, this car gives with one hand and takes with the other

Old 02-17-2019, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 908 Likes on 482 Posts

I fixed mine today using "03 XKR's" method and two Omron D2HW-A221D micro switches.

The following users liked this post:
tlindi (10-17-2023)
Old 03-30-2019, 12:57 PM
Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Fixed mine usimg 03xkr method

Fixed mine today using 03xkr's method but I did the contortion thing rather than the mirror method.

I loosened the top nut and now I can't tighten it - is it important?

The Omron switches were in stock at Digi Key

Old 06-29-2019, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

Hi guys. I have just dialed into this thread and been reading your journey. I just picked up a 2006 XK with this problem and will be having to replace this switch. Does anyone know if these switches are still available, and where they can be sourced(Amazon?). Glad to see someone has sorted out the process of how to most easily replace these things.

Old 06-29-2019, 07:18 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

SamtheSham, based on the posts from marcgr and racediagnostics that preceded yours, the replacement microswitch mentioned is readily available for $3.42 from
https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...152-ND/1811813

Another option is replacing the whole switch & bracket assembly if you're so inclined. Rock Auto shows two left in stock at $104.79 (p/n SLS503), a considerable discount from the dealer price.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...689531&jsn=258

Last edited by flat6; 06-29-2019 at 07:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DavidYau (06-29-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 06:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,379 Likes on 2,860 Posts

Replace the two original microswitches on the circuit board with far better ones rather than ordering a new brake pedal switch assembly. If you opt to install a new assembly, you will eventually be doing the job again when it fails. Ask me how I know....

The following 2 users liked this post by Jon89:
DavidYau (07-01-2019), Dr. D (01-11-2020)
Old 06-30-2019, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member

Looks like a case of design obsolescence. Thanks for all the good information. This forum is worth twice the cost of admission.

How much is the cost anywho???

Old 07-24-2019, 12:03 AM
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Repaired mine using two microswitches costing less than AUS$10 plus I paid an autoelectrician AUS$20 to change the switches as my soldering iron didn't want to melt the solder on the old switches. An absolute bugger to replace the switch and only succeeded when I used two fishing line attachments to the mounting studs plus my wife's help watching for the studs to appear under the bonnet (hood) while keeping tension on the fishing lines.

Many thanks to all who provided valuable advice.

Old 07-25-2019, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member

I(and my friendly mechanic) have replaced the entire switch twice). Still keep getting the msg. Traced out the circuits, checked all connections, all brake lights, all work as expected. I went into the manual found fuse #22 under the hood(bonnet) listed as the "integrated cruise control". Pulled this out to see what effect this would have. When the msg was still out, the cruise control still worked?? Once I replaced the fuse was replaced, now I got the msg, "Cruse control canceled".
I can live without the C.C. if need be, but this is beginning to become very confusing.
Anyone have any more ideas??

Old 01-10-2020, 09:56 AM
Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey Guys,

Wondering if you could provide some guidance. I have been getting the Check Rear Lights/Cruise Not Available warning so I figured my brake switch has failed again. I actually have the old switch along with another supposedly bad in the garage. I figured I would switch out the microswitches to put two good switches on one unit and then replace it. I brought out the multimeter and set it to ohms to test the continuity. It is so strange, on both units, the outside pins are closed and then when I hit the microswitch they go open and the inside pins are open and when I hit that respective microswitch they close. Does this make any sense to you guys? I thought that both of these brake switches were defective and one of them actually did come from my XKR a year or two ago when it was flashing the warning. Perhaps they fail after warming up or something?

Thanks,

Coery

Old 01-10-2020, 06:40 PM
Received 287 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by cs81srq
Hey Guys,

It is so strange, on both units, the outside pins are closed and then when I hit the microswitch they go open and the inside pins are open and when I hit that respective microswitch they close. Does this make any sense to you guys?
Thanks,

Coery
Outer pins 1 and 4 is the brake light switch. Inner pins 3 and 4 is the switch whereby the brake cancels the cruise control. The opening and closing of these switches makes sense when the switch assembly is installed in the vehicle where when the brake pedal is not depressed but the switch assembly is in its restrained position. Only when the pedal is depressed, does the assembly return to its free position which is also the position that I assume that it was in when continuity of the switches was checked before you hit each respective microswitch.

Old 01-13-2020, 07:48 AM
Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I do understand how the switches work but what I do not understand is how my supposedly "faulty" switches are testing this way. I would have thought that when I test the pins on these units they would not show such promising results.

Old 01-13-2020, 08:18 AM
Received 287 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by cs81srq
Thanks for the reply. I do understand how the switches work but what I do not understand is how my supposedly "faulty" switches are testing this way. I would have thought that when I test the pins on these units they would not show such promising results.
Coery,
I cannot explain this mystery either. I do know that having checked the switches for continuity and the board for bad solder joints to no avail, I bit the bullet and went with new microswitches which are still proving to be successful . Here is my post #5 from another thread posting such:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...3/#post2168245

Old 07-11-2020, 10:54 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default a brake switch

hello, same problem with 2006 xkr. I took a switch assembly apart and tested with Ohmmeter and they worked. I re-soldered all points. I do not have any power going to switches. Do they connect ground? All fuses are OK. What switch releases the shifter solenoid?
I removed the switch assembly, tested microswitches with Ohm meter and they seem to be working. I connected them back to the harness, but no change. Just opposite - Now I am getting warnings : Electrical fault, suspension fault, handbrake on, All fuses are OK. Where I should look. Is the body ECM fried? Some hints, please.

Last edited by dneu; 07-11-2020 at 02:33 PM. Reason: more problems
Old 03-23-2022, 11:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 XK8

Im finding it difficult to purchase a brake light switch for my 98 XK8.
Does anyone know if I can use a switch for a xj - they look exactly the same? They have the same code - LJB6420BB
Thanks,

Neil

Old 03-23-2022, 11:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nizzle
Im finding it difficult to purchase a brake light switch for my 98 XK8.
Does anyone know if I can use a switch for a xj - they look exactly the same? They have the same code - LJB6420BB
Thanks,

Neil
I ordered a used LJB6420BB that came from a XJS and it looked the same (I thought, but when placed side by side they were different) and it did not fit quite right. I ended up going to Amazon and bought one there (
Brake Light Switch Brake Light Switch
). It fit perfectly and is working fine. Nice to have cruise control again.

Dan

Quick Reply: XK8 Brake light switch repair guide