XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

XK8 Brake light switch repair guide

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 11:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dneu
hello, same problem with 2006 xkr. I took a switch assembly apart and tested with Ohmmeter and they worked. I re-soldered all points. I do not have any power going to switches. Do they connect ground? All fuses are OK. What switch releases the shifter solenoid?
I removed the switch assembly, tested microswitches with Ohm meter and they seem to be working. I connected them back to the harness, but no change. Just opposite - Now I am getting warnings : Electrical fault, suspension fault, handbrake on, All fuses are OK. Where I should look. Is the body ECM fried? Some hints, please.
I can not hint for the ECM question but I tested my microswitches and thought they were working. Then I re-tested but pushed the lever that the brake pedal pushes on harder to it bottomed out on the switches. Than I noticed that one of them was intermittent. Pushing on the switch levers in a "normal" manner did not show that but pushing with the extra force did show it.

Dan

Old 10-17-2023, 10:05 AM
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Been there fixed that

Originally Posted by cs81srq
Hey Guys,

Wondering if you could provide some guidance. I have been getting the Check Rear Lights/Cruise Not Available warning so I figured my brake switch has failed again. I actually have the old switch along with another supposedly bad in the garage. I figured I would switch out the microswitches to put two good switches on one unit and then replace it. I brought out the multimeter and set it to ohms to test the continuity. It is so strange, on both units, the outside pins are closed and then when I hit the microswitch they go open and the inside pins are open and when I hit that respective microswitch they close. Does this make any sense to you guys? I thought that both of these brake switches were defective and one of them actually did come from my XKR a year or two ago when it was flashing the warning. Perhaps they fail after warming up or something?

Thanks,

Coery
​​​​​harnes fron ​​Brake switch goes under carpet ovet the cardan tunnel, there's a sharp metal seam at drivers footwell. Mine had wire broken there yellow/something. Made new wire from brake switch to passenger(right) a pilar harness joint.

There has Been similar stories here - mine is onlyone with solution.

Old 07-14-2024, 05:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks to the people who document what happens to them, thanks to them we can others follow in their footsteps.

The same thing has already happened to my xk8 from 2004. I have disassembled everything as stated in the thread (easy) and replaced the micro contacts with OMRON D2HW-A211D (desolder and solder on the board) and put it back in its place. box; So far everything is simple. The difficult part, as narrated, is to put it back (I was lucky and did it the first time, but I left the stick to hold it and I had to repeat, and I was less lucky). I have removed the seat, I have lain down inside the car, I have put a light on the outside above the holes to see clearly the only one visible (the one below), I have held the brake pedal with a fixed wrench (16 -17) fitted into the lever and into the bodywork, when I placed the switch I put a stick (about 50 cm, which I forgot the first time, so the initial success was zero) to hold it to the floor of the car , I went outside and put the nuts on (fixed to the socket wrench with a piece of paper, so that they wouldn't fall off), I gave them a little thread locking liquid (I had the feeling that they were loose when I took them off, perhaps tightening them would have been enough, I recommend checking that the two nuts are tight, as this may be where the fault comes from.) Put the seat back (I took advantage of it for some repairs, such as the control box, which breaks due to the fastening screws and it is convenient to clean the inside and apply contact protective varnish). Finally, everything works again.

Compared to other contacts on other vehicles, it is clear that those on the xk8 are very weak and that sooner or later they must be changed.

Of course, I recommend using the same board to solder the new contacts. I think that purchasing a new set, if you have the skills to desolder and solder, is no better solution than putting in new contacts.
Everything is to keep the xk8s that remain in circulation.

The following users liked this post:
dbtk44 (07-16-2024)
Old 07-16-2024, 10:57 AM
Received 51 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jhuertas
Thanks to the people who document what happens to them, thanks to them we can others follow in their footsteps.

The same thing has already happened to my xk8 from 2004. I have disassembled everything as stated in the thread (easy) and replaced the micro contacts with OMRON D2HW-A211D (desolder and solder on the board) and put it back in its place. box; So far everything is simple. The difficult part, as narrated, is to put it back (I was lucky and did it the first time, but I left the stick to hold it and I had to repeat, and I was less lucky). I have removed the seat, I have lain down inside the car, I have put a light on the outside above the holes to see clearly the only one visible (the one below), I have held the brake pedal with a fixed wrench (16 -17) fitted into the lever and into the bodywork, when I placed the switch I put a stick (about 50 cm, which I forgot the first time, so the initial success was zero) to hold it to the floor of the car , I went outside and put the nuts on (fixed to the socket wrench with a piece of paper, so that they wouldn't fall off), I gave them a little thread locking liquid (I had the feeling that they were loose when I took them off, perhaps tightening them would have been enough, I recommend checking that the two nuts are tight, as this may be where the fault comes from.) Put the seat back (I took advantage of it for some repairs, such as the control box, which breaks due to the fastening screws and it is convenient to clean the inside and apply contact protective varnish). Finally, everything works again.

Compared to other contacts on other vehicles, it is clear that those on the xk8 are very weak and that sooner or later they must be changed.

Of course, I recommend using the same board to solder the new contacts. I think that purchasing a new set, if you have the skills to desolder and solder, is no better solution than putting in new contacts.
Everything is to keep the xk8s that remain in circulation.
Definitely worth reusing the board and just swap out the switches...saves $$$. It's a bear getting it back in, but sure is a nice feeling when you engage the cruise control and it actually works!
I had a few sets of the switches floating around, as I had to buy...think it was a total of 10. Wish I knew where they got off to..=/