XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

XK8 CD changer problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 05:09 PM
Received 53 Likes on 20 Posts
Default XK8 CD changer problems

I have, like many other XK owners, had problems with the CD changer. I chose to get another one from a scrapyard which worked for a few months before giving up the ghost. A number of you have successfully installed aftermarket systems which to be honest look really good when fitted along with bluetooth and other modern accessories. Kudos to you. However I have wanted to keep the stock look of the car, more importantly the original lower part of the centre console that houses the stereo and phone keypad. Having read some of the excellent input from members as how to repair the common faults of the CD changer, I decided to put them to use. They were successful and now my CD changer works fine. Reading the comments from other users there lots of "how do I do this" questions relating to the dismantle of the unit, which were not all addressed. The main fix was to lubricate the moving parts and it works again. But getting it off the car and completely stripping it down is not covered. Would it be of interest if I provided a step by step photographic guide as to how to take the unit apart and where to lubricate to get the unit back in running order, as the replacement units from Jaguar are over £600?. The information available on this forum, if you spend the time to look is sheer goldust and I am extremely proud to be part of this forum and the excellent members associated with it with their very helpful attitude. Keep up the brilliant work people.

The following users liked this post:
Jim D (10-07-2014)
Old 10-06-2014, 11:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For one, I would appreciate that work. My CD changer plays the first track of each CD, then stops playiomg at all. Sometimes it quits after a CD or two have played. Is tha the common issue most have?

Old 10-09-2014, 04:45 PM
Received 53 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Hi Jagvaz

I have not come across your problem but It might possibly be lubrication or lack of. I will post soon on how to fix the CD changer problems but it is not a "fix all" solution, just the most common one. The lens that reads the CD is on two tiny rails that move from track one to the last track on the CD. The lens is moved by 3 nylon gears controlled by a small motor along the rails. The rails once lubricated can allow the lens to move smoothly over the CD and the tiny gears can be lubricated and adjusted so they are in close contact. Some of the gears can move apart with vibration and will not move the lens all the way across the CD leading to not playing all the tracks on the CD. I have heard that some CD players are not good at playing CDs burnt on a PC instead of a shop bought one. If you look at the attached picture the lower half shows the circular CD lens reader with the rails the move it across the CD. To the lower left you will see the 3 gears attached to the small motor. If these are lubricated sparingly with white lithium grease It may possibly sort your problem out. However while its dismantled its worth lubricating the rest of the CD moving parts. I will post more pics soon to show where to point the grease. Good luck my friend

Attached Thumbnails XK8 CD changer problems-07102014185.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
jagvaz (10-10-2014)