XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

XK8 Convertible Interior Plastic Fittings

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 10:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XK8 Convertible Interior Plastic Fittings

My 2001 XK8 convertible has lived in Florida all it's life. So, perhaps it's too much sun, but the following plastic mouldings have failed over time:
overhead console, gear shift bezel and sport and cruise control buttons, sunvisor mirror covers, seatbelt socket cover, seat back recline knob and cover. Is there a reasonable cost supplier of these plastic mouldings?

Old 11-28-2016, 04:56 AM
GGG
Received 16,853 Likes on 12,186 Posts

308 Views but 0 Replies as I write this so I've moved your question from Interior to XK8/XKR forum.

Many of the plastic items are NLA (No Longer Available) from Jaguar and not the type of components where aftermarket manufacturers/suppliers could find much profit incentive.

I suspect you're going to have to look to breakers (or forum CLASSIFIEDS - PRIVATE For Sale / Trade or Buy Classifieds - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum) to source good used items.

Graham

Old 11-28-2016, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,319 Likes on 1,004 Posts

I too had a few cracked plastic parts. Those that can be still purchased are extremely expensive. Example the cover over the passenger seat pivot. Over $250.00 when you can find one in stock and you still have to color it to match. The search was lengthy but I found one in a salvage yard $15.00 and the right color.
Take a look in the forum classified ads for members who are parting out XK8's and send a private message to Bobroy. He is a member that has a couple of parts car XK8's.
I just noticed you are a new member and probably can't send PM's yet. I will send him one and have him get in touch with you.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,364 Likes on 2,854 Posts

While much of the plastic used in these cars is well-known to be of poor quality (especially in the engine compartment), it still pays to park these vehicles out of direct sunlight whenever possible. You can say that for any vehicle, but especially these Jaguars (including our 2005 S-Type)....

Old 11-28-2016, 10:55 AM
hm1
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by bobkennedy10
My 2001 XK8 convertible has lived in Florida all it's life. So, perhaps it's too much sun, but the following plastic mouldings have failed over time:
overhead console, gear shift bezel and sport and cruise control buttons, sunvisor mirror covers, seatbelt socket cover, seat back recline knob and cover. Is there a reasonable cost supplier of these plastic mouldings?
I know what you mean. Best bet is eBay for parts..

Old 11-28-2016, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 655 Likes on 463 Posts

I don't think it would make anyone really wealthy, but I suspect there's a fair few beer tokens ready for anyone who can start 3D printing some of the more straightforward plastic bits for our cars - seat mechanism covers, seatbelt covers, mirror covers etc. Even if they are in white, it's not too difficult these days to get spray "rattle cans" to match. I wouldn't know where to start, but there's some clever people reading this. Any takers ???

Old 11-28-2016, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

I concur with 2 things. First the number of plastic parts and the quality of the plastic is disappointing in a car that was priced at $70k+ back in the 1990s and into the 2000s. Second, any replacements you might be able to get from a wrecker or on ebay or other source are likely to be crappy after all these years.

So the 3-D printer thing sounds like the future for oddball replacement pieces like these.

Doug