XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

XK8 Convertible top

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 05:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XK8 Convertible top

Hi just purchased a 2005 XK8 convertible. The top was working for about 3 days. One day my wife had the trunk open and the car was running and I tried to put the top up. It did not work so I shut the trunk and the top still did not work. I had to manually shut the roof. After I did that the top does not come down. The windows will activate but the top will not. It feels like the memory is confused and everything is backwards now and the car cannot function. Does anyone know how to trouble shoot convertible tops. I do not want to take it to a dealer the diagnostic is $400.00. Im hoping it is an easy fix on my end. Help!!!!

Old 08-10-2020, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,319 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Welcome to the forum. When you can stop by and post an introduction in the new member area (forum requirement).
Below is a link to Jagrepair website with a great guide for troubleshooting the top. My first recommendation is to swap the top up relay with the top down relay. They are in the trunk fuse box. If it works the you have a failed relay. Go thru the troubleshooting guide and get back to us.

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Old 08-11-2020, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbykerecz
Hi just purchased a 2005 XK8 convertible. The top was working for about 3 days. One day my wife had the trunk open and the car was running and I tried to put the top up. It did not work so I shut the trunk and the top still did not work. I had to manually shut the roof. After I did that the top does not come down. The windows will activate but the top will not. It feels like the memory is confused and everything is backwards now and the car cannot function. Does anyone know how to trouble shoot convertible tops. I do not want to take it to a dealer the diagnostic is $400.00. Im hoping it is an easy fix on my end. Help!!!!
Please add more if there is more you have tried since...

Interesting... And these cars are. The CAN system, security control module, how it talks to the shifter (in the case of the top etc) can be pretty confounding when things go even just a little sideways...

If I were you, I would try to touch the top down button on the console and IF the 1/4 windows go down, put the top down again manually and use a 10mm or 8mm allen wrench (can't remember) to CLOSE the latch completely at the top of the windshield once the top is in its full down position... There are sensors in the RAMS and in that latch that tell the car the top is in the full open and/or full closed position. Honestly, there are good reasons for all of this communication within the system BUT once the car gets confused,,, PITA...

Once the latch is clipped down, windows down (all of them), top is down/back (little handle on the pump turned back to AUTO), close the doors, key off, bonnet closed - disconnect the battery and clip the neg and positive cable together snuggly with a pair of suitable vise grips. Leave for a good while. A baseball game or overnight even. If you have a radio code now is the time for it handy just in case.

Come back to the car. Connect the positive terminal and then the negative without any monkey business. A solid connection and have a 10mm wrench in hand to snug the clamps down. Wait a few minutes.

Basically you want EVERYTHING in the car - the door, windows, bonnet, top, 1/4 windows etc to be in the "RIGHT" position as if everything was,,,, right. Key to on, or Start the car and see if that helps. I know it's a pain but anyone thing can kinda block that roof from working correctly. Ask me how I know.

I'll add this - the reason I don't post my very real problems orhor contribute here much is that folks just post links rather than ask pointed questions or offer opinions based on their years of experience. When struggling with an issue it is super frustrating to have a link posted and to be basically told, go figure it out. Jus say'n

Last edited by JayJagJay; 08-11-2020 at 07:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DavidYau (08-11-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 02:35 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,214 Likes on 1,703 Posts

Have you resolved your roof problem?

Old 08-13-2020, 10:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem on a 2004 XK8. You may simply have a leave in one or more of the hose in the hydraulic system. If you take the cover off the right inside of the trunk where the pump is you may see the leak there. That is where my was because I could see the leave on pavement. About a $600 fix 2 yrs ago. Non Jaguar dealer price.

Old 08-13-2020, 12:24 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Xk8 top

Be sure the resevoir is full also. Does the motor/pump Turn on when you try to move the top. I try the eady stuff first

Old 08-13-2020, 03:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbykerecz
Top reset

Turn the car on make sure the top is up and lock and all the doors are locked do not start the car just have it in his own position roll the windows up and hold the up button for 10 seconds until you hear a click then roll them down and hold them down until you hear another click good luck