XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

XK8 Crankshaft pully removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2023, 12:37 AM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Default XK8 Crankshaft pully removal

I finally got that sucker off! After fighting this thing for a day and half I was at my wits end. I have some very robust regular pullers and they just would not do the job. Part of the problem was the twisting action that takes place when trying to extract the pully from the crankshaft.
I thought if only I could just pull directly out with enough force, something would have to give. Then I remembered an attachment that I bought some years ago for my portapower. Mine is only a 4 ton unit, but this little attachment is rated for 20 tons. It only has about a half inch stroke, but it is powerful!
It took me about half a day to fabricate an adapter that would allow this thing to attach to the pulley. And after adding a few shims( ok, washers) to the insert for the snout, it came right off. Easy peasy. I doubt that I will ever need this thing again, but it did the job and I can move on to the main problem which is finding why I have no compression at all in cylinder number 5.
p.s. If anyone on this forum needs to borrow my gadjet, let me know. Glad to help.

I has to weld on some reinforcement to the sides because it was so hard to pull off it bent the 1/2" steel.

Small, but powerful!

It looks like I busted my case by driving the bolts too deep when I was trying the original pullers. Don't do this!

The following 4 users liked this post by Lanny:
EssOess (03-02-2023), michaelh (02-24-2023), olddavidp (02-27-2023), PKWise (02-24-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 03:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by Lanny
I finally got that sucker off! After fighting this thing for a day and half I was at my wits end. I have some very robust regular pullers and they just would not do the job. Part of the problem was the twisting action that takes place when trying to extract the pully from the crankshaft.
I thought if only I could just pull directly out with enough force, something would have to give. Then I remembered an attachment that I bought some years ago for my portapower. Mine is only a 4 ton unit, but this little attachment is rated for 20 tons. It only has about a half inch stroke, but it is powerful!
It took me about half a day to fabricate an adapter that would allow this thing to attach to the pulley. And after adding a few shims( ok, washers) to the insert for the snout, it came right off. Easy peasy. I doubt that I will ever need this thing again, but it did the job and I can move on to the main problem which is finding why I have no compression at all in cylinder number 5.
p.s. If anyone on this forum needs to borrow my gadjet, let me know. Glad to help.

I has to weld on some reinforcement to the sides because it was so hard to pull off it bent the 1/2" steel.

Small, but powerful!

It looks like I busted my case by driving the bolts too deep when I was trying the original pullers. Don't do this!
Assume you only pulled it a little, then tapped back to release. Only asking because of your mention of short stroke attachment.

The following users liked this post:
EssOess (03-02-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 06:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,387 Likes on 2,866 Posts

Well done....