XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XK8 exhaust without center muffler

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Well, I'm making taking the plunge! I have an appointment with the muffler shop on Wednesday. I talked to them today and was going to get it done, but the guy that specializes in Jaguar exhaust was out today. I'm going with the X-pipe replacing the center muffler. I was going to get some new tips, but the catalogue he had only had expensive tips $130+ea. When I said I might just have to wait on the tips, he called one of his workers and asked, didn't they have some Jag tips stored in the back. He came out with them and they are what I wanted AND $37 each! They look just like the tips on the Mina exhaust for the XJ that I have. We shall see what happens tomorrow!!

Old 05-19-2010, 06:44 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good move Lew. The larger tips really fill the space better and give the rear end a more aggressive look. They are just more fitting to the car IMHO.
Brian

Old 05-19-2010, 11:14 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Nice lew! After another couple weeks, I've come to really enjoy the subtle tone of the exhaust now. Its like I can now 'hear' the car, instead of just feel it idling or pulling away... she talks to me now, and I like listening.

Still working on the vid from a standstill, and maybe a driveby. My videographer is out of town until this weekend.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member

Did it! Love it! Pix to follow...........

Old 05-19-2010, 10:37 PM
Location: Marin County, CA, USA - Just north of San Francisco
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hlgeorge
Did it! Love it! Pix to follow...........
Please with sound! DaleD

Old 05-19-2010, 10:42 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

anyone in the los angeles area have this done, I want to hear one up close.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:43 PM
Veteran member

Another one converted, what are your initial impressions Lew? No longer silent, eh?

Old 05-20-2010, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member

I took my camera to the garage and tried to take some pictures and a video. It's a new camera, so not too successful! I'll post one pix here now.

I tried to make a video, but apparently didn't have it in video mode, so all I got was two more pictures.

I'll try again in a day or two when I can figure out this new camera.

I really like the sound. It sounds kind of like the 2007 XK8 I drove for a few days, until you really get on it, then it really growls. It sounds like a proper kitty now. Purrs right along nice and easy, but step on its tail and it screams like a mad kitty should!

Only thing is though, all the metal they removed from under the car ended up in my right foot!!

Attached Thumbnails XK8 exhaust without center muffler-xkrtips.jpg  

Last edited by hlgeorge; 05-20-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

Lew,

I would like to hear first hand. I will buy lunch in the Jasper area at your convenience.

Tom P.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:23 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder if there has been any gain in horsepower? And I have wondered if anyone has just did a pipe to go under the axle? I was just thinkin about the mina and blueflame exhaust but if just a few hundred dollars and a little doctering of our factory exhaust and almost the same results might be worth it?

Old 05-24-2010, 04:00 PM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

That's what I'm wondering too. I was pretty set on a MacLeod X-Pipe system after my Select Edition warranty runs out, but this thread really has me thinking about just taking the center muffler out and doing an H. But I would like to get a little more power out and an exhaust that flows smoother and especially isn't cramped under the rear axle should give me a boost in horsepower to the R. From this thread I think I'll definitely like the sound, but I doubt there's more power since no one has really said they noticed that. Even though we are constrained by the 90 degree angle of the manifold and cats up front, I think there would be some room for improvement in an aftermarket catback exhaust.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:49 PM

" I was pretty set on a MacLeod X-Pipe system after my Select Edition warranty runs out" - jnprocello quote

Would a move like that void a SE Warranty? I've asked the question before, particularly around the installation of the pressure relief valve for the top mechanism - but no one was willing to go out on the limb. Mine extends till November. Any thoughts???
DaleD

Old 05-25-2010, 06:38 AM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

The reason I said that is because my nearest dealer has been horrible about covering things under the warranty. I had been looking for my specific car for a couple of years and would stop in there periodically and ask if there were any around or coming in and the head salesman and dealership manager told me "good luck finding that car, its a rare bird." So then I found one at a different dealer and he acts angry that he now has to work on it. In fact after I told him that the service department was giving me a hard time he said "come to think of it, you didn't buy your car here."

First problem -- they replaced the supercharger waterpump with no issues. Then, I had an error code that was saying no ignition on cylinder 8. Long story short is that wanted to charge me to replace the coil and gave me all sorts of crap. I got it covered but they didn't want to -- even though that's a covered part. Then this year my security control module went and they wanted to charge me $1200 for it and said some crap about water damage. I called another dealer and they said they would be happy to take the money for the warranty repair and replaced it under warranty and said they could see no sign of water damage.

Long story longer, if I put an aftermarket exhaust on the car I am pretty sure the dealer will use that to say that is what caused whatever problem arises --the automatic windows to stop working or the cigarette lighter to stop working, or caused the turn signal bulb to blow out.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:26 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DaleD
" I was pretty set on a MacLeod X-Pipe system after my Select Edition warranty runs out" - jnprocello quote

Would a move like that void a SE Warranty? I've asked the question before, particularly around the installation of the pressure relief valve for the top mechanism - but no one was willing to go out on the limb. Mine extends till November. Any thoughts???
DaleD
I would wait until November when you warranty runs out. Then I'd work on the exhaust and then get an extended warranty from another company. I bought my 2000 XK8 with 24K miles on the clock and an extended warranty good to 84K miles. My exhaust had already been changed. I don't have an X or H pipe, each side is manifold to cat to resonator to muffler and the same on both sides. Waiting to hear from those that install the H pipe to see if it's worth the $$$.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:31 AM
Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by jnporcello
That's what I'm wondering too. I was pretty set on a MacLeod X-Pipe system after my Select Edition warranty runs out
Just noticed you're located south of Buffalo. I'm located west of Rochester. I have a MacLeod X-pipe MKII and you're welcome to check it out; hear how it sounds and see how it looks and such. I would be willing to sell the exhaust as well.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by GreenJewel
I would wait until November when you warranty runs out. Then I'd work on the exhaust and then get an extended warranty from another company. I bought my 2000 XK8 with 24K miles on the clock and an extended warranty good to 84K miles. My exhaust had already been changed. I don't have an X or H pipe, each side is manifold to cat to resonator to muffler and the same on both sides. Waiting to hear from those that install the H pipe to see if it's worth the $$$.
Thanks Green - I needed this reinforcement to my own inclinations. The warranty has been useful so far, cost nothing going in, and let's me sleep well at night. I think I'll wait till December and then get innovative with making my kat "mine". DaleD

Old 05-31-2010, 07:19 PM
Veteran member

I tried a few more videos with the car today, hopefully, this may help some of you decide if its too loud, or not enough tone for you.

From a start, and a smooth, normal takeoff. ("there's a truck comin...")

Next, a spirited acceleration

Then next, a rolling start, to WOT

And finally, I tried to do a drive-by, but my driver was already off the throttle when he got to me, so that didn't make the video cut here.

Last edited by H20boy; 11-25-2010 at 12:36 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member

That is exactly how mine sounds. Love it. Sounds like a real V8, but is not obnoxious. Want to hear an ear shattering sound? Get in an underpass and floor it!

Old 05-31-2010, 11:03 PM

Thanks Matt. That is just the sound I'd like to have! Now to November, and the end of the SE warranty... DaleD

Old 06-01-2010, 09:53 AM
Veteran member

glad I could help out!

Quick Reply: XK8 exhaust without center muffler