I got them shipped from the UK
have a look at www.ebay.co.uk
search for jaguar xk8 exhaust pipe

they are priced with or without tail tips

Old 05-15-2011, 11:27 PM
Location: Marin County, CA, USA - Just north of San Francisco
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by xenophobe
I've done the same mod to my XKR that I did to my KX8. I took out the center muffler and added a H crossover. It's mellow at normal acceleration or cruising speed but it's much louder than the XK8 at hard acceleration. I'm not sure I like it and am regretting not keeping the center muffler to reinstall so I can try removing the others. Oh well. It doesn't sound bad, it's just really loud when you're mashing the pedal to the floor.
I did the same thing to my 2002 XKR and LOVE IT! I did keep the center muffler, and you are welcome to it for packing and shipping cost if they are the same (4.0 vs. 4.2 engines?) - or come and pick it up if you are in the SF bay part of CA? DaleD

Old 05-16-2011, 01:19 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

My XKR, now with straights replacing the center muffler, seems to have a little flat spot in the 2000 rpm range (gotta look closer) since I eliminated that huge center muffler. Maybe a crossover or x-pipe would eliminate it. It's not a big deal, but I'd like someone else who has access to a dyno to evaluate these options.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed someone put link to buying X pipe but can you buy an H pipe anywhere or do they need to be manually made?

Old 10-28-2011, 10:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

I haven't seen a universal H-pipe, but they probably exist. I know they are really big in the Mustang world, so there are a lot of them available for them. That said, they are simple enough to make (my exhaust guy did mine in about 10 minutes while I waited, he did the rest of the system and then couldn't remember what I wanted so he waited for me to pick up the car to finish)

Old 10-28-2011, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Now that I say that, I find this: JEGS Universal H-Pipe Kits - JEGS

Old 10-29-2011, 08:34 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I eliminated the center muffler months ago, and the XKR seems to run great, but I have no way to directly compare the X-piupe setup, even with the change, as I think the effect would be small. Anyway, a local muffler shop did the job quickly and cheaply ($40), and would have done the H or X mod easily, and I didn't have to crawl under the car and try to weld.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by DaleD
I did the same thing to my 2002 XKR and LOVE IT! I did keep the center muffler, and you are welcome to it for packing and shipping cost if they are the same (4.0 vs. 4.2 engines?) - or come and pick it up if you are in the SF bay part of CA? DaleD
I haven't seen this till now, but thanks for the offer. I ended up putting a new Borla 2x2 in followed with a Mina exhaust with the NP cats. I don't think many vehicles have ever sounded this nice.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:32 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

still waiting on a drive by and startup vids xeno!

Old 11-05-2011, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by H20boy
still waiting on a drive by and startup vids xeno!
I second that. Pretty please.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

okok, I'll see what I can whip up.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:26 AM

I have removed the center muffler and installed an x pipe...sound did increase and the tone was good. I thought I might like a bit more noise and then had the pre axle mufflers removed as well. Noise increased considerably. These little mufflers are flow through design and do quite a lot to tone the exhaust down. I might have been ok with them off but there was some drone under load but worse was a "trumpeting" brassy sound at wot at mid to high revs. I had them reinstalled. I may consider replacing the rear mufflers with borla now but it is sounding better with just the x pipe.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:12 PM
Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Stevec,
A few months back I put up a post about modification(s) to my exhaust. I don't mean to hijack this thread, but in case you want to see and hear the end result, I have some videos on it.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-video-104393/

Old 03-03-2014, 01:38 PM

Hi Devspider...Thanks. Viewed your video and your exhaust is a bit too aggressive for me (just a personal preference as you have said in your first post)...However.. I do like yours better with the x pipe you installed as I think it gives a more mellow tone. The XK coupes can get away with a more aggressive exhaust note as it seems to suit that body style. I have a convertible and I just feel the really loud set ups don't match up with the rag tops as well as they do the coupes. Once the snow melts here I will get my xkr out for a drive and evaluate the exhaust with a fresh perspective after missing it for the last 4 months!.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:32 PM
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by DevSpider
Stevec,
A few months back I put up a post about modification(s) to my exhaust. I don't mean to hijack this thread, but in case you want to see and hear the end result, I have some videos on it.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-video-104393/
Great vids and your car sounds sweet! Did you leave the xpipe in place?

Old 03-06-2014, 10:42 PM
Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by stevec
Hi Devspider...Thanks. Viewed your video and your exhaust is a bit too aggressive for me (just a personal preference as you have said in your first post)...However.. I do like yours better with the x pipe you installed as I think it gives a more mellow tone. The XK coupes can get away with a more aggressive exhaust note as it seems to suit that body style. I have a convertible and I just feel the really loud set ups don't match up with the rag tops as well as they do the coupes. Once the snow melts here I will get my xkr out for a drive and evaluate the exhaust with a fresh perspective after missing it for the last 4 months!.
4 months of kitty abstinence? I can barely go 3 weeks. When we had some snow here, I waited for the roads to clear - 3 terrible weeks of waiting.
I'm back on the road now - being very mindful of potholes that can swallow the whole car.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:38 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Eroc was correct, central muffler only = power loss

I removed the central muffler and found the noise thrilling under acceleration but a definite power loss on the low end. The shove in the gut is gone but revving beyond 4500 sure became more interesting.

That said, I can't live with that setup. Either the center muffler goes back on to get my power back or perhaps an H pipe is in order.

Love that WOT sound though.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Car is booked in for Center muffler delete next week with x pipe install. Keeping same size pipes as stock so I hope there is no power loss on the bottom end!
Fingers crossed

Old 05-03-2014, 09:46 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

I removed the center muffler and put straight pipes in its place, just to see what it would do. Sure enough it sounded like a low rider with "twice pipes" and glass packs. I then added the X pipe in the middle and that did 2 things, quiet it down somewhat and second it made the exhaust sound like a proper euro sports car. It is still pretty quiet and at idle no rumble. No drone at speed either. Just a tasteful bit of throatiness when under acceleration. I can't feel any power change at all, nor did I expect to. I believe the stock center muffler has an X pipe inside it.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Has anyone tried removing the center muffler, replacing with an H crossover straight pipe, leaving the two mufflers in front of the axle and removing the rear most mufflers?

The result being the two middle mufflers only with a straight pipe.

I saw some videos from DaveC where he added an H with two glass packs in the center position and took everything else out, just straight pipes all the way, sounds interesting but I'd like a little more refined sound.

One more thing the XK8 and the XKR seam to sound differently with modifications, would everyone please note which car you are working on, thanks

Quick Reply: XK8 exhaust without center muffler