XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

xk8 Low beam headlight, how to get to it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts
Default xk8 Low beam headlight, how to get to it?

Friends, well one drawback of running with my lights on all the time (titanium grey blends way too well with asphalt for me) is they burn out way too fast. I just lost one of my low beam headlights on my 1998 xk8 today. Amazing but Autozone had a replacement in stock! Now I have to figure out how to get to iburned out one to change it. Can you please help?

I followed the instructions in the service manual that came with the car. It told me to remove the translucent plastic cover under the hood above the headlights. Can one really get their hand and arm in there to reach the bulb? My arm is way too fat for that. There must be a trick.

Please let me know how it is done, I'm stuck on this one.

By the way, does "dip beam" mean high beam? (that's from the owners manual. Reminds me of my first Jag, an xk6. I spent an hour trying to figure out why rich folks would want to "hide thier food." Um, the owners manual spoke about "hide food" (aka leather conditioner I finally realized) yes it really happened to me gotta laugh at myself sometimes.)

John

The following users liked this post:
ObscureDave (09-14-2018)
Old 05-22-2014, 01:57 AM
Received 150 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnken
Friends, well one drawback of running with my lights on all the time (titanium grey blends way too well with asphalt for me) is they burn out way too fast. I just lost one of my low beam headlights on my 1998 xk8 today. Amazing but Autozone had a replacement in stock! Now I have to figure out how to get to iburned out one to change it. Can you please help?

I followed the instructions in the service manual that came with the car. It told me to remove the translucent plastic cover under the hood above the headlights. Can one really get their hand and arm in there to reach the bulb? My arm is way too fat for that. There must be a trick.

Please let me know how it is done, I'm stuck on this one.

By the way, does "dip beam" mean high beam? (that's from the owners manual. Reminds me of my first Jag, an xk6. I spent an hour trying to figure out why rich folks would want to "hide thier food." Um, the owners manual spoke about "hide food" (aka leather conditioner I finally realized) yes it really happened to me gotta laugh at myself sometimes.)

John
The bulb you access through the little clear plastic cover is the main beam and yes it is a darn tight squeeze to get at it especially to rotate the holder. I can just about do it but I skinned the inside of my wrist on the rim of the access hatch in the process. I dont think there is a trick other than finding someone with smaller hands

The low beam is accessed via the removable hatch in the front wheel arch - loads of space here but I found the plastic cap was a real PITA to get off!
Steve

Johnken (05-22-2014)
Old 05-22-2014, 03:22 AM
GGG
Received 16,864 Likes on 12,186 Posts

.......... I just lost one of my low beam headlights on my 1998 xk8 today. Amazing but Autozone had a replacement in stock! Now I have to figure out how to get to iburned out one to change it. Can you please help? ........... By the way, does "dip beam" mean high beam?
John,

I have to agree that when Jaguar print a Handbook specifically for the US, it's ridiculous not to use American terminology throughout.

This is the Low Beam bulb replacement section from the US Vehicle Care Handbook:

xk8 Low beam headlight, how to get to it?-xk8-dip-beam.jpg
(click on the image to enlarge it)

Instead of heading it Low Beam, it's exactly the same as the UK edition with Dip Beam! Of course, you won't have found this Handbook because it's in the Boot.

I've always found it easier to remove the front wheel to get more room to work through the access panel.

Main Beam = High Beam. This is the one you access through the plastic cover under the Bonnet (again from the US Handbook!)

It's as difficult for the English on the forum. As far as we know, Trunks belong on Elephants and Hoods are best avoided.

Graham

The following 3 users liked this post by GGG:
Johnken (05-22-2014), ObscureDave (09-14-2018), Orthodixie (09-14-2018)
Old 05-22-2014, 04:50 AM
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

lol well graham we do have a boot and a bonnet,one for the foot and one for the head

Old 05-22-2014, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts

Here's a phrase to practice your English.
When working on my motor (car) in the car park, (garage) lift the bonnet. (hood) and use your favourite (favorite) spanners (wrenches) that you store in the boot, (trunk). I hope that fits in your schedule. (pronounced "shed y'all)
In Atlantic Canada we speak both English and American plus a form of French the Parisians hate.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

Wow, I never would have thought that spot lined up with the low beam on the outside of the headlight. OK you know what I'll be doing tonight. .
Thanks to all for the instructions and the smile (I needed it today!) True story: Got my first promotion to manager at AT&T years ago. Day 1, my boss is out, got a call from the Vice president in the UK (the big guy everyone feared). He demanded a Budget Tree Estimate by the end of the day. New guy - I said "OK", then threw in a "cheers" to impress him. I spent 4 hours trying to figure out what a "Budget Tree" was, I spoke to fiends with MBA's - no idea. Then I realized he had said "budgetary." Talk about embarressed. . .

Old 09-14-2018, 10:22 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
John,

I have to agree that when Jaguar print a Handbook specifically for the US, it's ridiculous not to use American terminology throughout.

This is the Low Beam bulb replacement section from the US Vehicle Care Handbook:

Attachment 85038
(click on the image to enlarge it)

Instead of heading it Low Beam, it's exactly the same as the UK edition with Dip Beam! Of course, you won't have found this Handbook because it's in the Boot.

I've always found it easier to remove the front wheel to get more room to work through the access panel.

Main Beam = High Beam. This is the one you access through the plastic cover under the Bonnet (again from the US Handbook!)

It's as difficult for the English on the forum. As far as we know, Trunks belong on Elephants and Hoods are best avoided.

Graham

Graham,

I have been wrestling with my owner’s manual trying to understand how to equate high and low beam with dip and main. Thank you for the translation! I totally understand many of the little differences between British and American automotive language (fit = install, for instance). But I must say, I am baffled to understand the etymology of dip and main. Main, especially. I would think the main beam would be the one “mainly used”; low!

The “Front side (parking) Light” confuses me. First, any idea what it’s purpose is? Second, with that name, I would expect it to be the lights titled “Side Marker Light”.

Thanks.

Orthodixie (09-14-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 12:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,684 Likes on 1,000 Posts

make sure the plastic cover is a very secure fit when you put it back on. I put on new low beam bulbs a couple of weeks ago, and had thought I exercised due diligence on the reassembly......

but today I noticed I was missing the driver side access panel !!! What to do, as a replacement wouldn't get to me before I take off on a 1,700 mile trip early next week. I wasn't looking forward to driving 26+ hours, possibly in the rain occasionally, with all that wiring semi-exposed.

Solution : steal the top lid from one of my large plastic storage boxes, and cut out a new cover using the remaining cover as a template. It won't win any beauty contests, but I think it will be functional and untill a replacement comes.

z

The following 3 users liked this post by zray:
Johnken (09-15-2018), ObscureDave (09-15-2018), Orthodixie (09-15-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 07:57 AM
Received 406 Likes on 285 Posts

the reason it is called a main beam is that the thinking across the pond is one runs with the main beam as the preferred lighting at night until there is opposing traffic which requires a lower (as in American low beams) beam angle, dipping (hence dipped beam) below the usual angle of projection to not blind other drivers. in America the default became to always use the low (dipped) beam as a default unless the stronger lighting is needed or allowed. this is mostly to reduce American active thinking and attention to driving and equipment use. we just turn on the headlights and go. actually there is a campaign to get people to use the high (main beams) more so whenever they can because people are just not seeing things in time. it is called out driving one's headlights. in Europe and UK they probably arrived at the usage terms and technique due to less illuminated roads and long dark stretches and historically less city driving.

they are parking lights with individual side control in Europe in case one is parked at the side of the road. it is a warning to other drivers which side is safe to pass.

BTW trunk makes more sense than boot as it is the origin of the storage. it was actually a trunk strapped above the rear bumper. bonnet comes from what it looked like and how it was donned on the early cars.

care to play with roof, hood or top. using UK English the info center calls it a roof, however one expects hood. interesting.

The following 2 users liked this post by CorStevens:
Johnken (09-15-2018), ObscureDave (09-15-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member

Dave, It was interesting to see this old post resurrected, glad it can help you.

Some developments in the last 4 years you may not know about:

Since then many of us, self included, have upgraded the low beams to HID. A kit costs about $60, the improvement is HUGE!!!, and no one ever flashes lights at me like I'm blinding them.

I recommend that you do not chase better illumination with "super bright" halogens, or all the similar bulbs advertising brighter light in the same bulb mount (They made a marginal improvement) or bother trying to adjust the headlights up for further illumination ( you can't separate High and low beam adjustments and you would be pointing the high beams at the tree tops before you know it), HID Xenon is a huge safety improvement.

Let us know if you want a link to amazon product. About 40 minutes to install both sides.

Just in case it isn't mentioned above: Do take the tire/wheel off to put the new bulb in. It is a million times easier to do the bulb without the tire in the way.

John

ObscureDave (09-15-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 03:33 PM
Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Let us know if you want a link to amazon product. About 40 minutes to install both sides.

Just in case it isn't mentioned above: Do take the tire/wheel off to put the new bulb in. It is a million times easier to do the bulb without the tire in the way.

John
I'd be interested in that link for my 98 coupe. I see a number of them on Amazon but would like to know which one is a proven winner.
I've changed the bulbs, always in pairs, twice over the last 20 years. Both times I just turned the tires inward and, sitting facing forward, used my right arm on the left side and left on the right to reach in and change them.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ighlight=Xenon

here you go. Btw, don't bother doing this 2 your fog lites for several reasons.

John

Old 09-18-2018, 11:11 PM
Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Thank you for this and the great write up for installation.