XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

XK8 Passenger headrest

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 06:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XK8 Passenger headrest

Hi All, does anyone know how I can lower the headrest on the passenger side?
I just bought a 2002 XK8 Coupe.

Thanks

WEMY

Old 11-21-2016, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

Common problem engineered in by Jaguar:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...s-video-40347/

The following users liked this post:
itswemy (11-21-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 09:02 PM
Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Just did mine, but instead of cutting the sheath, which has its own set of issues. I moved the inner cable up and down till it just caught in upper headrest. I turned cable by hand, and felt for the worm screw to head rest move. Then put cable back down into motor. Sure it will eventually slip out again, but for now I can adjust them as I want, and leave them. I mean how often do you need to move those things.
My biggest issue was that someone messed with them already, and took motors off mounts and jammed them behind seat skeleton, which actually pushed on front of seat. But all correctly placed now.

itswemy (11-23-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 558 Posts

If it does not lower by using the switch on the seat, then the procedure test point suggests is the fix.

My headrest needs the fix, but the motor part is fine. I haven't bothered with it as the low position is good for me.

However, to lower mine when I first got it, I ran the motor all the way down with the seat switch and then pushed the headrest down by hand. Mine is a convertible, so this has the added benefit of not running the motor every time I flip the seats forward.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jag#4:
itswemy (11-23-2016), Johnken (11-23-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 02:40 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

One question, is the headrest motor working but the headrest not moving or is the motor not working at all? Your problem may be the drive shaft being too short or it may be electrical.

You can lower the headrest manually. Pull up the seat cover off the back of the seat to expose the headrest motor. Disconnect the headrest motor electrical connector (disconnect the battery first), loosen the torx screws that secure the plate holding in the headrest drive and outer sheath so you can slide the plate to one side (don't remove both torx screws as you may have trouble getting it back together as space is tight) and remove the flexible drive from the motor. Now push the drive shaft up towards the headrest while turning it to engage the drive shaft at the headrest end and now you can wind the headrest back down using the flexible drive shaft. If you don't need to move the headrest again then just leave the motor disconnected.

I did the full Jag fix as per the Rev Sam video and it now works fine.

itswemy (11-23-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 05:36 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The full Jag fix as per Rev Sam's video is a lot easier than it at first appears - the most difficult part is releasing the finisher at the bottom of the seat cover.

I'd reiterate tassiejag's comment, don't undo both Torx screws, undo one and just loosen the other - I know from experience that it then becomes a very fiddly, knuckle-skinning job to put the assembly back together!

itswemy (11-23-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 06:56 AM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Be sure and go to the last posts on Sam's fix. It's notes a better way of trimming the sheath. I did it to both of mine w/o a problem.

itswemy (11-23-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 05:58 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

I tried to do this last week and couldn't get the seat back finisher off.

I ran out of time and need to revisit.

itswemy (11-23-2016)
Old 11-27-2016, 07:48 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dsd
I tried to do this last week and couldn't get the seat back finisher off.
Not gonna lie to you, it can be tricky to get apart. I found it easiest to work on both of the two side sections first. They are each about 2 to 2-1/2" wide and you can basically slide them left or right and they will become easier to dislodge.

Once you have both of the side flaps popped open, you can take a look at them and how they fit together. The center one is more of the same deal. It's counter-intuitive, because to pull it down you first have to disconnect it and that means pushing it upward a bit. I find it easiest to just slide the upper piece left or right and see if you can get one end to come apart and then just run your finger across to open across the seam, like opening a cheap Ziploc bag.
Hope that helps.

Good luck.