XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

XK8/R: The one thing you like the most...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2021, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 654 Posts

BOB,

I didn't know where Laguna Niguel was and had to look it up....Hard to believe but it wasn't there back in 1959 & 60, back when I was @ Pendleton for a spell....We had a few fun Nights at Laguna Beach, back then......I've spent several Nights @ Hotel Laguna in Laguna Beach! One of my Fraternity Brothers flew Jets out of El Toro back then...It was both a fun time and a not so fun time! But all but (1) got to come Home after a visit to Laos & Nam........Take good care of your XK8 !!

Billy Clyde @ Cinco Ranch

The following users liked this post:
dfbender (12-21-2021)
Old 06-14-2021, 06:31 AM
Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts

Don't know how this will be taken. Please understand that it is not bragging, rather i find it very hilarious for so many reasons.

Never thought that i would consider this as something that i like about my car but here goes. Car was all washed and nice sitting in the drive, was told by my next door neighbor that person to be mentioned has checked it out when i was not home. Ok, yesterday was working on the car, had the wheel wells out doing my rust proofing and checking things over, some minor stuff. Get a visitor, neighbor two houses down, younger than my daughters, always very mannerly and friendly with me and quite pretty and cute as some in the states say, very hot. Usually females this cute around here are not that nice to people, especially older guys like me. She is married to a nice looking guy with a manly job, gym rat just like her. I am in neither of their leagues in that regard, actually quite lean. Asked me if i work out. Told her i was lucky to be able to work.

Day before i was servicing my regular car meticulously. I am a bit of a nerd and keep things very orderly and my property neat.

Ok, so i get this. Commented that she really admired a guy who had the ability to maintain something like this in good working order whereas her husband would not dare change the oil in a car. Discussion went that she noticed that i kept old stuff in very nice condition, but what impressed her was that she knew i made long journeys with the car and drove it regularly. That i had no concerns doing such in a make that was not always very reliable was kind of cool as we old guys say. Told her that it was worth it to have something that drives as well as it is beautiful making any small sacrifices worth it. The conversation went to how cars have little personality anymore and the few with some difference usually border on the obnoxious. This my neighbor commented about mine in regards to the fact that she noticed how nice it sounded while being very quiet even when i pushed it going down the road. Obviously Jaguar got something right with the exhaust and seriously glad that i dropped any idea of changing it. Figured that a really hot girl such as herself would go for the guy with the Dodge Challenger type of cars. She commented that they were common and anyone can lease something that he knows nothing about.

Well, it was a good decision to stop working on my cars hiding at the rear of the property and do it out in the front of the property. BTW, said neighbor told me that she could see me working on the cars back there from her second floor.

Second, neighbor on the other side, mutually hate each other, now has another reason to resent me.

Owning a beautiful, affordable, easy to maintain car, definitely worth it. Getting hit on (here in the states kind of like flirting with intention) by a person well out of your league, priceless.

The following 2 users liked this post by CorStevens:
DavidYau (06-14-2021), ozbot (06-14-2021)
Old 06-14-2021, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,364 Likes on 2,854 Posts

Well done....

Old 06-14-2021, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,418 Likes on 755 Posts

WhiteHat,

Had a young helper who helped work on my XK8. He's a subject of a Thread in Off Topic - link below.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/o...e-cars-214860/

Anyway this young guy really seemed to enjoy the work on the Jag and he said that his girlie friends were very impressed he knew how to look after cars. The younger generation just doesn't seem to have the inclination to do DIY car repairs. Anyway.... this young fella said a girl was VERY APPRECIATIVE when he changed her tyre. Wink! Nuff said!

Old 06-15-2021, 08:44 AM
Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by bcprice36
BOB,

I didn't know where Laguna Niguel was and had to look it up....Hard to believe but it wasn't there back in 1959 & 60, back when I was @ Pendleton for a spell....We had a few fun Nights at Laguna Beach, back then......I've spent several Nights @ Hotel Laguna in Laguna Beach! One of my Fraternity Brothers flew Jets out of El Toro back then...It was both a fun time and a not so fun time! But all but (1) got to come Home after a visit to Laos & Nam........Take good care of your XK8 !!

Billy Clyde @ Cinco Ranch
Semper Fi. Billy!

Old 06-15-2021, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,419 Posts

I haven't driven my 2002 XKR 'vert in a couple of years. To be honest, every since I got my 2010 XKR coupe about 8 years ago, it is just such a phenomenal step up that I can't bring myself to drive the 2002. My 2002 underwent a complete refreshing before I stopped driving it, rebuilt the motor (though it was running fine, it had 175,000+ miles on it), had a beautiful respray, replaced the convertible top with a new one, fixed all of the little gremlins. It's just been sitting gathering dust. About two weeks ago, in order to get new registration, I had to get a smog check. Since I hadn't started her in over a year, it has to be driven about 200 miles before the computer will allow the smog check to register. I had it towed to my indie who said he would take care of it. I told him while it was there. to clean and detail it since I just didn't have time as I do all of my other cars myself and it was going to be at his shop for a week or two while he put some mileage on it everyday. It came back to me last night, and even in the dark I could admire its beauty. Then this morning in full sun, it just gleamed. No question it is prettier than my X150, and when I was driving it, no matter where I was it always received more compliments than any other car I have ever owned included my beautifully restored De Tomaso Pantera.

But, those of you who haven't had the opportunity to get behind the wheel of a 5.0L XKR or even as a passenger, should really try it sometime. The ride is exceptional, the handling much more stable. and the power, simply mind boggling. And I still say this having passed 183,000 miles on my 2010 XKR. Last week I lent it to a driving buddy who would hear me rave about how great and reliable it was, and though he drives an Alfa Romeo Guilia as his daily driver, he's looking for a sleek 2 door coupe that can run with the "big dogs." After 2 days, he was smitten and can't believe this is a 180,000 mile car, it's still so tight, quick, luxurious. He's on the prowl for one now.

But my 2002 was my introduction to Jaguar and the first of three since, and since it is still one of the most classic designs ever and shows every bit of its XKE heritage, I just can't seem to want to part with it.

Last edited by tberg; 06-15-2021 at 09:24 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by tberg:
DavidYau (06-17-2021), GBCat (06-17-2021)
Old 12-20-2021, 09:36 PM
Received 253 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by ozbot
For me it was the body style that first got me. She has a beautiful interior and being the only one in town she
always gets a lot of looks. I have only had her for 2 months but what has surprised me is the power she still has.
I've never been shy about putting my foot to the floor and the old girl responds instantly and she jumps up to 160
to 180 kph in a flash, very respectable for a 22 year old car. Wasn't my first or second consideration but ended up
as a nice bonus.
What a body!, My 98 XK8 maybe an older girl, but she still has the curves to turn heads! "There is a love between a man and his Jag which transcends carnal lust".

ozbot (12-20-2021)
Old 12-21-2021, 07:09 AM
Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

My 1966 XKE is still the ultimate beauty but my 1998 XK8 is also a work of art with all the comforts of a luxury car that is easy to get in and out of and is great even for a long trip. I love the wide stance of the XK8 and signature long Jaguar hood but the rear end styling leaves room for improvement

The following 3 users liked this post by piper 888:
DavidYau (12-26-2021), michaelh (12-21-2021), TedV (12-22-2021)
Old 12-21-2021, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

X-100 is perfect follow on to the XKE, WITHOUT Lucas. The various control modules; however, are a typical FORD screwup, just not as bad a Lucas.
Love my Jag, not so much a fan of anything else with FORD name.

TedV (12-22-2021)
Old 09-23-2023, 05:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Could not have said it better!

Originally Posted by Redeye
Forums are great places to sort problems out and share knowledge/experience etc, and I've benefited from this one numerous times.

But I thought it would be interesting to see what folks views are on the one thing that makes the XK8/R really do it for them. Could be name, style, power, poise, heritage, status or whatever... but what does it for you
For me, its simply the looks of the car. Just stunning! Get the chills every time I look at the beast!!
I agree. I have owned numerous British cars. Healy, MG, etc but that said the Jag XK8 looks and performs the greatest.

Old 09-23-2023, 09:48 PM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
X-100 is perfect follow on to the XKE, WITHOUT Lucas. The various control modules; however, are a typical FORD screwup, just not as bad a Lucas.
Love my Jag, not so much a fan of anything else with FORD name.
I have a 2006 XK8 coupe that I've owned for seven years. It has een amazing and looks amazing. I even think it has better proportions than the E-Type. We drove it from home in Mendocino County today to an antique store in the far reaches of Sonoma County. When we parked there another customer, an older woman, said how amazingly beautiful it is and I agree. I love just going onto our garage and seeing it parked there but love more the joy of driving it on the open road. It's not quite as amazing in the twisties as out I-Pace but still a pleasure to flog through the turns.

While I agree about its beauty and the joy ot affords, I also have a 2006 Land Rover LR3, which I've owned much longer and I love it too. It is also a estimate to Fords stewardship. I've owned a bunch of Land Rovers, including many series examples and a '92 Ronge Rover. The LR3 is my favorite and one of the most practical and versatile cars or trucks I've owned. I'm 6' tall and can even sleep comfortably in the back of it.

Granville

The following 2 users liked this post by 150FHC:
DavidYau (09-23-2023), michaelh (09-24-2023)
Old 09-24-2023, 06:57 AM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Always the look

Originally Posted by Redeye
Forums are great places to sort problems out and share knowledge/experience etc, and I've benefited from this one numerous times.

But I thought it would be interesting to see what folks views are on the one thing that makes the XK8/R really do it for them. Could be name, style, power, poise, heritage, status or whatever... but what does it for you?

For me, its simply the looks of the car. Just stunning! Get the chills every time I look at the beast!!
it’s the only car I’ve ever owned that causes me to always look back and smile

SeismicGuy (09-24-2023)