XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

XK8 stereo upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 04:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XK8 stereo upgrade

Hi folks, looking to upgrade the speakers and fit an amp (it has the standard system) in my 2004 XK8.
I've been researching all the info I can find here, but I have a problem.... I did see a post which had pictures of the yellow plugs under the centre console cubby box, with someone fitting two crossovers in there, but I can't find it now to save a copy for reference!
I keep finding reference made to this link http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13305537416122 but it just comes up as "link unavailable or missing". can anyone help with this info please?
Many thanks, Brian.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:11 AM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Do not fit line out converters but buy yourself some resistors if you want to plug in to a line input of anexternal amp.
I posted somewhere else on what I did to hook my radio into a JBL amp

Old 03-04-2012, 03:52 PM

bump...

Old 03-04-2012, 05:07 PM
Received 240 Likes on 160 Posts

I'd really consider upgrading the head unit. I changed out the standard speakers (Polk & Infinity) and installed an amp (a large amp) in mine and thought it still sounded like a low-end K-Mart setup. Tossed in a high end JVC receiver and now it sings.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:15 PM

Bump again.......?

Old 03-18-2012, 04:56 AM

Why the hurry

Be a bit more patient and do some more searching as all the info you are looking for is out there.

Just search for more than two minutes before you pester us with yor daily bumps

Old 03-19-2012, 01:22 PM

Hey, quit with the attitude Jochem00, there's no need! I hardly think 2 bumps in almost 3 weeks constitutes "daily bumps", or can't you count?

For what it's worth, as I said in my original post, I HAVE researched this, I DID find the info, but I stupidly didn't bookmark it for future reference and now I can't find it! I'm not some stupid idiot that can't use a search function for more than "2 minutes", so get over yourself!

The reason I bumped this again was on the off chance that someone maybe knows the whereabouts of the info and hadn't been on the forum for a few weeks - not everyone trawls back through every post added since their last visit, you know......

I have a 5-channel amp (with speaker-level inputs), I have replaced the rear speakers (coupe) with new items, I have the front component speakers and sub sitting waiting to install - but I would like the info I found previously before doing so, a thread which had an excellent write-up and pictures of the installation of the two crossovers for the front door speakers underneath the centre console cubby box. I am anxious to get on with this project hence the second bump.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:05 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

badger, i can't recall the thread you're referring to...is it on jaguarforums, or hosted elsewehere? i know a few members have posted videos/pics of the center console removal, but don't remember seeing anything with crossovers being installed.

If you can't find them, just start over from scratch and plan the install with only the schematics for your car and a fresh approach. I know its easier to repeat someone else's project, but you can still accomplish the same goal, just have to back up a bit and make your own plan.

jochem was a little rash, i give you that, but you also didn't respond to either of jochem's or beav's first post, but simply bumped your thread. You probably would have gotten some additional feedback if you would have addressed their content initially, or at least acknowledged their attempt to help, though they couldn't give you the link you were referring to. goodl uck with the project.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:36 PM

I vaguely recall someone's post about how to attenuate hi level outputs into an amp with line-level only inputs. However, I don't recall anyone posting tucking crossovers under the console. The crossovers can be placed pretty much anywhere, mine are alongside the radio. Generally, pics of the two yellow plugs are shown when installing a bluetooth module, auxiliary input, etc. I'm not certain why placing crossovers for the front speakers there would have an advantage but, hey, I haven't seen everything yet. ;-)

Old 03-22-2012, 05:41 PM

H2Oboy & Beav, thanks guys, I'm sure the pics and explanation of the crossover wiring under the centre cubby box was on this forum somewhere, as this is the only forum I really use for the XK8. It just seemed a logical place to put them, to pick up on all the wiring outputs to the front.
I've fitted Infinity 2-way units (6230i) in the rear, I have Infinity components to go in the front, I am waiting on the 8" Infinity sub arriving from the US and it is all being powered by an Alpine 5-channel amp, 50W rms x4 (fronts and rears) and 150W rms x1 (sub). My last car, a UK spec Chrysler 300c Touring (think Dodge Magnum) had an Infinity system and the sound quality at normal listening volumes was absolutely excellent - totally crystal clear with a fine balance and presence - hence my choice of speakers. The amp was chosen as I feel it will easily deliver sufficient power for the car's internal volume, and it also has 4-channel speaker level inputs, allowing me to keep the standard head unit as I actually quite like it.
Hoping to install the crossovers and front speakers this weekend, and route the cables to/from the boot, ready for amp and sub to be added next weekend.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:50 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Under the console, in that tranny tunnel area, there isn't a ton of room in there for large crossovers. My shop tucked one on the to the left of the driver's knee, the rear mounted to the boxes themselves, and I can't find the passenger front...at least not yet.

Remember, to keep those crossovers away from power wiring, don't wan't to pick up any alternator whine.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:16 PM

Noise in the lines is almost always picked up by input wiring - easy trick is to lay some foil over existing wiring before laying down your head unit to amp wires. Of course, using good, quality patch cables helps immensely. I've used the series 5 StreetWires from Crutchfield on the last 5-6 cars I've done with great results.

I placed my front crossovers to either side of the radio area, tucked beneath the carpet/console. 692.9l Kappas in rear have tiny crossovers so they're next to the speakers.

I have a 4ch Alpine amp that size with Infinity speakers and a BassLink in my Lincoln that sound great. I've had them for 5+ years without any problems. But I use the same head unit in both cars, JVC KW-AVX800.

Here's a shot of my install in the Jag. Will probably redo the switchpacks next winter. They're fully functional but I want to try a different material and shape. Notice I had to move the top switch in order to turn the coin tray into a grill for my center channel speaker.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Beav
Noise in the lines is almost always picked up by input wiring - easy trick is to lay some foil over existing wiring before laying down your head unit to amp wires. Of course, using good, quality patch cables helps immensely. I've used the series 5 StreetWires from Crutchfield on the last 5-6 cars I've done with great results.

I placed my front crossovers to either side of the radio area, tucked beneath the carpet/console. 692.9l Kappas in rear have tiny crossovers so they're next to the speakers.

I have a 4ch Alpine amp that size with Infinity speakers and a BassLink in my Lincoln that sound great. I've had them for 5+ years without any problems. But I use the same head unit in both cars, JVC KW-AVX800.

Here's a shot of my install in the Jag. Will probably redo the switchpacks next winter. They're fully functional but I want to try a different material and shape. Notice I had to move the top switch in order to turn the coin tray into a grill for my center channel speaker.

Beav

Thats one seriously cool install
gr8 stuff

Old 03-31-2012, 05:26 PM

Started on the serious stuff today, sorry no pics! Removed all the boot trim, removed the bracket for the cd changer and modified it to allow fitment of the alpine amp and made the amp mounts. Took out the back seat and centre console and discovered...... allt he wiring colour codes are different to any diagram I have found on the internet so far.... doh! Okay, both door trims off and start doing continuity checks to find out what colour wire at the yellow plug goes where.... only to find that my 2004 standard audio system has the tweeter wires all connected and 2 tweeters installed in the dashboard from the factory, but no door tweeters! I always understood that it was only cars with the premium audio that had the dash tweeters? Ah well, broke into the wiring after confirming what went where, and I am now in the process of installing both crossovers under the centre console, one either side of the airbag control module, by trimming away a piece of the foam that is held in place either side by a rubber band! I split enough of the wiring harness wrapping to tease the wires out from the harness after cutting them at the plug, so that they connect direct to the crossovers now.
Further updates to follow, as I no-doubt discover more weird wiring on this car, hahaha.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:26 AM

Nothing weird there.
2001 onwards had facia tweeters on the standard audio. So what you found is the way it is supposed to be

Old 04-01-2012, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Beav

Very nice job; almost looks factory. I'd love to hear how you did the switches.

Mark

Old 04-03-2012, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jochem00
Nothing weird there.
2001 onwards had facia tweeters on the standard audio. So what you found is the way it is supposed to be
Geez, Yocum.. most peeps come here for a little fun, share their stories, maybe learn a little something or help someone with a problem. Yeah, that's what I'm going do for you, I'm going to help you with something.

Seeing how you already know everything here why not go somewhere you might learn something new. Maybe a website for pitiful personalities? I'll give ya a headstart, try changing your name to something that fits you, like 'Little Miss Sunshine'.

My apologies to everyone else...

Old 04-04-2012, 07:16 AM

Beav, no missunderstanding, but many people turn up on the forum and ask question before even having used the search button!

Old 04-05-2012, 04:10 PM

Jochem, I am not one of them, as I have already said I did research, I did trawl the forum, yet you shot me down when I asked about a dead link and crossover fitting info..... if you haven't anything positive to contribute, please contribute silence, thank you!

For the record, I now have 3 different wiring diagrams with different colour codes for the XK sound system and not one of them matches my car! I ended up carryoing out full continuity checks from every speaker wire back to the yellow plug and noting all the colour codes for future reference. The colours seem to be a close match to the later model diagram for the premium audio even though it is a standard audio system, bar one or two wires.

The speakers are currently running direct from the factory head unit and if anything there is a bias towards high frequencies. I currently have the bass set at +5 and the treble at -4, to achieve decent low volume listening. I am actually quite surprised at the quality and quantity of bass available from the speakers (all Infinity reference 16.5cm) when the volume is turned up slightly, so I am hoping the addition of the amplifier will help to even things out a bit at lower levels until I get the sub installed and hooked up to the amp... If not, I will move the tweeters from the dash to the doors and see if that helps.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:56 AM

Did you check the electrical wiring diagram for >2001 cars and then with standard audio?

It shows that there are tweeters in the dash and the wiring for it.
The pinout for the yellow should be correct at least. When I did my car I had no problems at all identifying the cables.

How did you hookup your tweeters? Are they part of a compo set with crossovers for all speakers or are they in addition and in parallel to the speakers in the door? When I installed my JBL set it sounds about perfect with all settings on 0.

The following users liked this post:
PaulJ (01-02-2013)

Quick Reply: XK8 stereo upgrade