XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

XK8 trying to resurrect

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 02:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks gus its not doing anything at all. I have tested the switch but by the time i got home from work today it was too dark to look at fuses but i am starting to worry that the bcm could be part of the problem this car is costing me a fortune but I will probably just keep spending as i do love my jags. I blame my dad for that he always had at least 1 jag at any time from the e type to daimler double six and xj12. i wish they were still in the family

Old 12-02-2015, 01:47 PM

checked all fuses and swapped the relays over but it is still not doing anything even tried to release screw on pump and open manually to see if it fixed the problem but i cannot even open the roof manually nothing moves

Old 12-02-2015, 03:04 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,214 Likes on 1,703 Posts

Where are you located?

Gus
www.jagrepair.com

Old 12-02-2015, 03:21 PM

midlands uk

Old 12-02-2015, 08:16 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

OK a phone call is not an option.

The first thing you need to check and replace is the 40a fuse in the trunk fuse box fuse #14. This fuse is the feed to the pump when the relays are activated be the Security and Locking Control Module. If after replacing the fuse and the pump does not run then you need to unplug the power plug to the pump motor (2 wire White & Black connector) at the pump. When you do this use your volt meter and test for voltage at that plug. To do this you will need another person to push the roof open button and check voltage at the connector the White wire is power and the black is Ground. Tell me how you make out.

Old 12-05-2015, 05:27 PM
Default thanks gus

have changed the 40a fuse although it tested ok, with button pushed no voltage to pump wires at all and i have now discovered that with door key held clockwise nothing happens but with door key held anticlockwise the rear quarter windows wind down fully but will not raise again

Old 12-06-2015, 04:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by DevonDavid
What year Ian ??? - wiring diagrams can differ depending on age of car. Worth putting in your "signature" - saves a lot of questions like this !!

Use Ebay for spares - there's always several XK8/Rs being broken in the UK. SimplyPerformace (Jon), CatKiller (Trevor) and Eurojag are regular sellers, all of whom I can personally recommend. SimplyPerformance can't be far from you - I seem to remember they are in the Oxford area. Got lots of stuff from there when I hit a deer at around 40 mph a year or so ago.
Its not just me that gets around these forums David! Your the wizard with electrics. If he removes the switch from inside I assume he should be getting a current coming in? Then when pressed a current coming out? Ok I know thats simplistic but I was only thinking of a step-by-step solving of this problem. In that if we know the switch is live the problem is after this step and conversely if its dead we know the problem is before this step? I am sure you can see where I am going with this.

Old 12-06-2015, 05:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 655 Likes on 463 Posts

Gus is the "Hood Guru" - his knowledge and expertise far exceeds mine on this subject !

Old 12-06-2015, 06:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,118 Likes on 856 Posts

I've encountered a new customers recently purchased XK8 with an inoperative convertible top and discovered the switch in front of the shifter was left unplugged on purpose by the previous owner. I would check there next.

Old 12-06-2015, 09:01 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

What work that you know of has been performed on the roof system and do you know if the security module has been worked on?

The fact that the windows wend down tells me that a signal and command has been received by the security module.

Gus
www.jagrepair.com

Old 12-06-2015, 04:06 PM

the roof was one of the few things that did work when i bought the car. I had a replacement bcm fitted to repair the starting problems not sure if they did anything with the security module but the car is now going back in on thursday to the garage who did the reprogramme as they admit they may have got something wrong in the repair. As for work done i have checked the motor runs if powered seperately , checked all fuses and even replaced the ones for the roof although they tested as ok, checked the switch wiring is connected and switch operates correctly, checked and cleaned all earths and manually opened the roof catch and finally changed all related relays. The most worrying thing is that I cannot even open the roof manually turning the key on the pump does not seem to release pressure at all and the rear windows will only do anything on the door lock and then only go down not back up but I am getting no power reading at all from the switch

Old 12-06-2015, 05:06 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Ok let the shop look into the programming.

The roof will not open until the rams and roof linkage is unlocked so do not force it. I would suggest you go to my page and read a little about the roof operation just remember this car is not your father’s Buick so do not pull and tug in it. For the moment do a little reading and report back with what they find.

What I know now is that the windows operate the switch is good and that the pump motor operates and that you have no command from the security control module to operate the roof relays.

The following users liked this post:
ianmj (12-06-2015)
Old 12-06-2015, 05:14 PM

thanks all i will let you know results after the garage have a look thursday

Old 12-07-2015, 12:12 PM

could somebody please pass me a link to the uk jag breakers mentioned in an earlier post i have tried searching the members area and cannot find them. thanks Ian

Old 12-07-2015, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 655 Likes on 463 Posts

Ian.
Private message sent but here's one of them :

http://simplyperformance.com/

Last edited by DevonDavid; 12-07-2015 at 12:44 PM.
ianmj (12-07-2015)
Old 12-08-2015, 04:15 AM
Veteran Member

Ian,

You might find this interesting reading https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-closed-71304/

ianmj (12-29-2015)
Old 12-08-2015, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member

On a different note I was in Evesham tonight and spotted an XK8 with a good reg for you IJ 15 . It was parked up at Bear garage behind the Regal cinema.

ianmj (12-29-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 04:44 PM

hi sorry for disappearing act but the car has been on hold for a few weeks due to other issues. Back to it now the garage say that the replacement bcm they fitted and reprogrammed was from a coupe not a convertible and now they are looking at it again they say that jaguar say this is one of the things that cannot be reprogrammed does anyone know a way of wiping the imbedded memory to allow reprogramming as a convertible?

Old 12-22-2015, 07:59 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Note in the oneline that is attached that you have 2 relays that are controlled by the security module and that module also controls the valves that supply hydraulic to the latch & lift cylinders. The body control looks at the switches in the ram and in the header.

Are the relays getting control power from the security module to operate the relays? Also is power available to the control lead to the pump? You know that all could be good and you just happen to have a bad ground to the pump?? Use the volt meter and check for control power and power to the pump.

Link to oneline on the roof system http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa...eline99xk8.pdf

Also use the oneline I provided on post #13

ianmj (12-29-2015)
Old 12-24-2015, 07:46 PM

it gets better and better,,,,,, now the power steering rack has gone so just sourcing one of those now but as for the roof apparently the bcm fitted is not for a convertible and i will be very lucky to get one that will but jaguar can sell me one and programme it for only £1800. which numbers do i need to post on here for someone to tell me where to get the correct bcm? and still needing trim parts if anyone can help out

Quick Reply: XK8 trying to resurrect