XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

XK8 Window Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 05:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XK8 Window Problem

The auto opening/closing of the drivers window in my 2003 XK8 is not working properly. When the door is opened the window drops as it should however it immediately returns to the fully closed position instead of remaining down until the door is shut again.

I've done a few searches and didn't find anything for this particular problem. The battery in the car is new. Initially when I installed it the windows seemed to program fine and the passenger one works as it should. Any ideas on whether or not this a window switch problem or something else?

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-19-2009, 05:48 PM
Received 61 Likes on 13 Posts

The most likely culprit is the door latch. It is rather easy to diagnose. Simply open the drivers door and leave it open(the window should go back up as you described), now insert the key in the ignition and turn the key to the run position or start the car. Does the message center display "drivers door open", you left it open right? If the message isn't there you know it's the door latch and nothing to do with the window switch or motor assembly. The latch is fairly easy to install, just make sure you don't remove the grenade pin until the job is done or you will spend an extra hour trying to get the thing set up right.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went out and tried the procedure you recommended, sure enough it looks like the latch is the culprit. Are these things something you can clean up and possibly fix or is it better to just replace the unit while everythings apart? As far as removal and replacement, can anyone send me a basic how to or tips and tricks to make the job as easy as possible?

Thanks for all your help!

Old 02-20-2009, 12:19 PM
Received 61 Likes on 13 Posts

The latch is pretty simple to replace. I don't think I've seen anyone have any luck trying to fix one. There are several microswitches internal to the latch assembly and one of those has gone bad and as far as I know they are not serviceable seperately. The adjustment of those switches is critical as well. that's what the comment about the grenade pin was all about. The new latch will come with the switches set up properly and there will be a grenade pin in the latch holding everything in place. After the latch is installed and all linkage rods are attached is the time to pull the pin. If you pull the pin before installation it will throw the adjustment off and the windows and top will be global opening and closing as you drive down the road, never fun.

Just remove the door panel and everything is visible. The latch comes with the cable to the inner handle built in. If you know what you're doing the job should take less than an hour. Also make sure after you have the door open and the window in the up position you disconnect the battery before messing with the latch. When you disconnect the link rods and electrical power it is possible to inadvertantly cause a global open event and there is no pinch protection for the window when it is going down and it will rip your arm off if it's in the door when that happens.

Last edited by Real_Tech; 02-20-2009 at 12:23 PM. Reason: updated procedure.