Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XK8/XKR Drivers door window problem when closing door

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 02:34 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default XK8/XKR Drivers door window problem when closing door

Hi Guys

I know this is a common problem as I had it on previous cars.

When I close my drivers door the window catches on the front windscreen pillar so does not go inside the seal and the glass sticks out.

I can see that basically when the door is open or when I lift the handle to close the door the front part of the glass is not down far enough to allow the glass to go inside and then go up to fit properly.

Also I can see on the drivers door seal at the front of the glass has a slight spilt obviously caused by the glass.

At the moment I can close the door knowing the glass will fit back in by just pushing the front of the glass down before closing or pushing the door closed.

Just wondering if anyone's actually done a fix themselves on this.

Regards

Rocky

Old 11-08-2015, 03:01 PM
Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Have you tried resetting the upper and lower limits?

If not then try this:

Sit in the car with the doors closed.
Put key in and turn to 2nd acc position.
Run the window down and keep holding the switch until you hear a small click.
The run the window all the way up until you also hear the click.
Repeat for other window.

Dave

Old 11-08-2015, 04:04 PM

Hi

Thanks for the reply but I did the reset on the window but didn't sort the problem.

Kind Regards

Rocky

Old 11-08-2015, 04:19 PM
Received 252 Likes on 156 Posts

Hi.

You can adjust the window in almost all directions, but to do that you have to remove the doorcard. Mounting pegs are easily broken when removed.

I suspect your window fore/aft tilt adjusting nut is not tight. Is the aft edge parallel with the aft window?

Old 11-08-2015, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by oyster
Hi.

You can adjust the window in almost all directions, but to do that you have to remove the doorcard. Mounting pegs are easily broken when removed.

I suspect your window fore/aft tilt adjusting nut is not tight. Is the aft edge parallel with the aft window?
Some minor adjustments can be done WITHOUT removing the panel. Adjustments are under the puddle light and under the front speaker--do a search and there should be some photos from another poster.

Doug

The following users liked this post:
reb1999 (11-09-2015)
Old 11-08-2015, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Does the window drop about 1/4" when you open the door and then raise back up when the door is closed?

A malfunction of the door switch is common, it the window does not do as suggested above see here for the fix....starting with post #6

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...roject-118210/

Old 11-08-2015, 08:02 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,702 Posts

In order to reset the window you must be in the car with the door closed then do the reset. If that does not work let us know.

Gus
www.jagrepair.com

Old 11-08-2015, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,809 Likes on 1,115 Posts

I bet this is an alignment problem. I just lost a lengthy response trying to attach files that show you how to take off the door panel [diagram: 501-05 76.34.01], and how to adjust the window (that one was a TSB 501-52 about "wind noise and water leaks").

In a nutshell:

1) Look at the gap between the vertical rear edge of the window from the outside where it meets the rubber for the rear window - the gap should not change top to bottom. If it does = alignment issue.

2) When adjusting alignment you can use a 1 or 2 inch wide piece of loosleaf paper. Shut it in the door between window and rubber seal. Pull it out gently (if you can) use this to ID gaps where pressure is too light and needs adjustment/equalization.

Like I said, my PDF or JPEG attachements are not working tonight. Do a search on my name and the term "window" - I'm sure you will find all these documents from folks who were kind enough to post them for me when I had to install and adjust my passenger window or the numbers I posted above can help you get there. Hope this helps mate.

Rocky15 (11-11-2015)
Old 11-09-2015, 04:05 AM

Hi Guys

Many thanks for your replies.

It probably would be an alignment issue or the switch problem.

I had the problem when the car was brand new and Jag realigned the window and then caused me grief. I have nothing but creaking and cracking noises from the drivers door side of the car around the window.

Although I now have the same problem, the car is 15 years so could be the switch.

When I open the door the front of it definitely is not going down quarter of an inch because there's no gap between the front part of the window and the door mirror seal.

As I mentioned before closing the door I can just push down the window very slightly just where the door mirror is and then the door closes perfectly, so not sure if this means the alignment is ok and the problem is the switch.

Think I might have to get someone to take a look. I think it makes sense if the door panel has to come off then replace the switch, see if it works and if not try the alignment.

It all seems hard work when I'm not a mechanic and my toolbox consists of two screwdrivers and a couple of spanners

nigelboxplayer (04-23-2021)
Old 11-09-2015, 07:15 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Not sure I understand the issue. When the door is opened does the window drop automatically and when the door is does the window go back up on its own? If it does not then the problem could be programming or a micro switch at the door latch. If the window operates when the door is opened and closed as programmed and it is not striking the jam properly then maybe an adjustment is in order.

Old 11-09-2015, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member

I agree with Gus. I was thinking of the time my micro switch in a 1998 went faulty. The 1998's have the door handle and the door latch mechanism on two different micro switches. Since the door latch micro switch wasn't working, the car never knew the door was opened (the switch told the car the door was closed in all cases). Since the door handle switch was OK, the window would move down when you pull on a door handle.

This resulted in: Pull handle to open door - window drops. Release handle, window returns to Up position regardless of the door's position (even though you are in the middle of opening the door, remember the car thinks the door is closed even if it is open).

If the door is open - you have no puddle lights, no indication on dash board "Passenger door open".

Now you are faced with a problem - the window is all the way up, if you close the door now it will not fit into the seal properly! This could damage the seal.

Close door, window doesn't move (remember car didn't know door was ever opened).
I bet 1997 is the same as 1998, at least that's likely enough for me to read you in on this. I hope this helps you trouble shoot.

Old 11-10-2015, 04:01 AM

Hi Gus and Johnken

Many thanks for your reply. First of all my car is a 2000 model so not sure if I have one or two micro switches.

I was actually wondering how it could be the micro switch if the door open sign on the dash and interior lights come on, but obviously if there's two swiches one that and one for the window control then that would explain it.

I think first of all I'm going to try and have the window adjusted.

Just to refresh the window does go down when opening the door because I can see from the Jaguar security sticker on the window but it looks to me that it doesn't go down far enough at the front and also there's a slight split on the door seal on the wing mirror part. To make it close properly I have to just push down on the window near the wing mirror and door closes ok and window sits perfectly.

My only concern would be if I adjusted the window as per the YouTube video so it's lower then would this mean that when the door is fully closed the window won't go up as far as before.

Also I have a slight split in the top hood seal, not sure if it's wear and tear or relates to the window alignment.

I do recall years ago I had a 98 XK8 new and it was forever in the garage with same problem which you wouldn't assume to be micro switches on a new car and awful creaking noises from the window are and they never really got it right.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the clarification. Regarding your concern about window not going up far enougn after adjustment: Don't forget you will reprogram the window's travel after the adjustment.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:50 AM
Received 252 Likes on 156 Posts

Hi again.

From reading your posts, I get more and more convinced that the nut for adjustment of the fore/aft tilt has come loose.
If the window is moving up and down upon door closure and opening, even if it is only the rear part, I don't think you have any failures neither in the window switch, the microswitches in the door latch nor the door module. I think it's a mechanical problem.
You should not be able to move the window very much if you grab it and try.
Make sure you also keep an eye on the aft part of the window if you adjust it. It should fit tight and snug towards the aft quarterlight so you don't get any water leaks or wind noise
Attached you will find two TSBs concerning window adjustment. It is not complicated, but very time consuming.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Door Glass.pdf (74.5 KB, 151 views)
File Type: pdf
window adjustments.pdf (597.9 KB, 181 views)

Last edited by oyster; 11-10-2015 at 12:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by oyster:
Johnken (11-10-2015), Rocky15 (11-11-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 12:03 PM

Johnken

Many thanks for your reply and before I received it I took an hour off work as can't wait to try and sort this.

Not being that mechanically minded I got the door panel off thanks to the Youtube video.

I did the adjustment on the window to drop it slightly (wasn't a lot of adjustment there compared to adjusting the other way)

The window goes back up without catching but it now doesn't go back up as far as it should like it did before. So I was assuming that although the alignment has sort of sorted the window out, the original problem is that the window doesn't go down far enough when opening the door.

Anyway when putting the car back in the garage without the door panel on I had to wind the window down to close the door as no inside door handle. I then for no reason did the window reset and shot off straight back to work.

So now after reading your post saying don't forget to reset the window, as I already have, I'll see what it's like when I get back.

So many thanks for this.

If the window still isn't fully back up then I'll try the other adjustment to bring the top of the window in a little but don't want to mess too much.

Old 11-10-2015, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member

Sounds great, don't forget to review the Door Glass article that Oyster was kind enough to attach. I just did and caught something I forgot about since I've last read it, there is an adjustment illustrated for correct height adjustment. So it is more than just running the window to its limits. Glad we could help.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:59 AM

Hi

Many thanks for all the info and thanks for the attachments.

I altered the window using the screw in the middle to drop the window and the screw at the bottom back corner which didn't do much other than alter the glass at the back of the door.

It was only when reading Oysters attachment that I found another adjuster at the front of the door hidden under the speaker, so I gave that a little tweak.

I had the door opening and closing so many times perfectly that comes this morning the battery was flat. (Only drive weekends and dry weather).

Anyway after getting it started went on a few errands and the window behave but failed on one occasion which was a bit of a shame. Maybe I didn't close the door hard enough.

I'll probably do another tweak later on but I do think that when the door is open the glass still doesn't go down far enough., so maybe another tweak, not sure yet.

Also the hood seal about the window has a split along it and when the glass is up it just pulls part of the seal on the outside off the hood frame.

As they're very expensive I was just wondering if a new one will end up the same in a couple of years. Or would it be worth maybe a bit of doublesided sticky tape to keep the seal in place.

Kind Regards

Rocky