XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is an XK8 or XKR an Exotic

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 11:23 AM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Default nice - but not an exotic - IMO

XKs are nice, XKRs are nicer but they're no exotics - as much as I'd like to think otherwise ..... since I have an XKR.

But just can't justify that - regardless of what wreckedexotics.com or whatnot says .... On the parking lot of my office complex, I've seen Viper ACR, Bentley Continental coupe, DB9, GT-R, Gallardo and 911 Turbo. One of the car that the executive team likes to use to pick up VIP guest is a Maybach.

Is the XKR still rare - sure. But my co-worker's Ford Bronco is rare - his is the only one I've seen in Austin area, but that doesn't make it an exotic - at least I hope not.

I guess everytime I tried to convince my self how exotic the XKs are, I keep getting reminded that compared to other cars that I see at the office, the XKs got knocked down a rung to just 'super-nice' cars in my book ..... That doesn't mean that I don't have a stupid grin on my face everytime I see mine - trust me - the stupid giddy grin is still there!

Old 07-03-2010, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

To add my $0.02 again, I think one criteria is that the car has to have not a shred of practicality and be very difficult to obtain (either financially or availability). There should be absolutely no way of explaining any rational reason why you bought it other than "I wanted it".

For example, with an SUV you can explain that you needed to be able to haul stuff occasionally. With a mainstream 2-seater sports car you can explain that you just wanted to have fun. When that 2-seater sports car turns into some high-end Ferrari or Lamborghini at multiple $ versus a more mainstream sports car, there is no explanation other than you wanted it because so few could obtain it.

In fact with a real "exotic" you would need to go through contortions of explanation to even justify the existence of the car in the first place as there is no reason for it being other than so someone with literally money to burn has some way to let others know this.

Doug

Old 07-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
When that 2-seater sports car turns into some high-end Ferrari or Lamborghini at multiple $ versus a more mainstream sports car, there is no explanation other than you wanted it because so few could obtain it.

In fact with a real "exotic" you would need to go through contortions of explanation to even justify the existence of the car in the first place as there is no reason for it being other than so someone with literally money to burn has some way to let others know this.

Doug
I like that summary Doug, you summed it up really nicely ...

Your post reminds me of this article from Automobile magazine:
http://blogs.automobilemag.com/65499...eed/index.html

Old 07-03-2010, 12:51 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
To add my $0.02 again,
Doug
Does location factor in to the equation at all? Certianly some cars I would consider exotic are relatively common elsewhere in the globe, where as certain cars I see on a relatively regular basis I barely even consider exotic anymore but may be super expensive, rare, dream cars elsewhere.

Old 07-03-2010, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

I think I touched on this before. A BMW 3-series might be considered an "exotic" in some podunk backwoods area (no offense to podunks) but it would be mundane here in Los Angeles.

So what I think we are all thinking here at this thread is something that would universally be considered an exotic, irrespective of locale.

I also think if there is any shred of practicality, it would not really be exotic. For example, the uber-sedans/coupes like Bentley's or Maybachs, it can be argued that these are merely super-expensive spacious, super comfortable,super competent cars that are necessary for transporting heads of industry in style. I can accept that. However, what possible case can be made for a Bugatti Veyron or Mercedes McLaren? If you get to the point where the amount spent is absurd even to fairly wealthy folk (say above $150,000) and there is little use for the vehicle other than to show you can afford to buy it, then to my mind that is an exotic.

Doug

Old 07-03-2010, 06:02 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I guess that it comes down to whether you want to use the actual definition of the word, or make up your own interpretation. Strictly speaking, they do fit the definition, we just see some other cars as being more so.
Brian

ex·ot·ic

–adjective 1. of foreign origin or character; not native; introduced from abroad.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

I've always thought of exotic cars as the ones that have top performance for their production period and are hard to come by. The XKR coupe could probably be considered in this region as around 1000 sold in a country the size of the US per year makes them rare and as a car that could run close to $100,000 fully tricked out, it is definitely expensive. A guy that has an F40 might not think of Jaguars as exotic but a guy that has a Subaru might.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:23 PM
Banned
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Exotic

Old 05-22-2011, 07:12 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Don't know if this will help;
My 03 XK8 vert is insured by Haggerty Classic car insurance under their exotic category.

BTW total yearly cost for full coverage plus towing is $425.00

Old 05-22-2011, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts

$425 per year??? My 2003 XK8 vert is insured by USAA. Full coverage is $425 every six months. In other words, it's twice as expensive as yours! Plus I have 5 other cars insured through them. I think I should be getting a better deal. My car insurance bill is $1747 every six months. USAA is supposed to have the best rates in the country.

By the way... none of us have had any accidents or tickets.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
$425 per year??? My 2003 XK8 vert is insured by USAA. Full coverage is $425 every six months. In other words, it's twice as expensive as yours! Plus I have 5 other cars insured through them. I think I should be getting a better deal. My car insurance bill is $1747 every six months. USAA is supposed to have the best rates in the country.

By the way... none of us have had any accidents or tickets.
Haggerty specializes in classic cars and I have been a customer of theirs with some classic cars. They do have a few rules. car must be in a locked garage no major modifications and with a classic car usually under 3500 miles a year however when I inquired about the XK8 I was told that mileage really wouldn't be "watched"

The following users liked this post:
scottrader1 (05-23-2011)
Old 05-22-2011, 09:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When we were buying our car I was told most lenders consider the XK8 an exotic which affects the interest rate, making it less???????? Don't ask me just what I was told

Old 05-22-2011, 10:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I prefer the term erotic rather than exotic. Just look at the car and tell me or anyone else otherwise.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Erotic.... yep that works too. Best compliment I've gotten so far was a customer of mine that said "that car makes my panties wet!

"
WHHHHOOOOOAAA!!!!!!

Old 05-23-2011, 02:39 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

wow, the Hagerty insurance comment is gonna end up saving me at least a few hundred a year, thanks man. I just ran a quote on my '97 XK8 and it came up for $378/year. I'm sure I currently pay more than $600 for it on my multi car, multi coverage, safe driver long term customer program, so this is great to know. I wouldn't have guessed it would qualify under their rules, but sure enough, they say it does, and for more value than I think the car would sell for as well (minimum $15k). All you have to do is be a good driver, garage it, and not drive too many miles.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

The XK8/XKR is an exotic.

In 2005 less than 900 XKRs verts were produced. That's pretty low compared to any of the major manufactures. If you look at the production numbers, I think it fits the term quite well.

Price is a secondary consideration, IMO. Just because something is exotic doesn't mean it has to have a high price tag associated with it. But it helps.

After all is said and done though, the original owner of my 2005 XKR paid over $100k for the vehicle. I think $100k for a vehicle is a pretty decent price point to consider it 'exotic'.

Last edited by xenophobe; 05-23-2011 at 05:44 AM.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by scottrader1
wow, the Hagerty insurance comment is gonna end up saving me at least a few hundred a year, thanks man. I just ran a quote on my '97 XK8 and it came up for $378/year. I'm sure I currently pay more than $600 for it on my multi car, multi coverage, safe driver long term customer program, so this is great to know. I wouldn't have guessed it would qualify under their rules, but sure enough, they say it does, and for more value than I think the car would sell for as well (minimum $15k). All you have to do is be a good driver, garage it, and not drive too many miles.
Sorry I forgot to mention the XK8 cannot be your primary driver. They will ask about your "regular car"

Old 05-23-2011, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Lorwood, Sam
I'm insured with Hagerty also with both of my collector cars. I pay the same for my 2001 XKR with an agreed coverage cost. With Hagerty you can set any amount on the car you want. The underwriter actually called me and was very concerned that I would not use the Jag for everyday use, because of the year. but when they realized we had 5 cars she was satified. Lorwoods right you cannot use the jag as a everyday driver.

scottrader1 (05-24-2011)
Old 05-23-2011, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by RCSign
Lorwood, Sam
I'm insured with Hagerty also with both of my collector cars. I pay the same for my 2001 XKR with an agreed coverage cost. With Hagerty you can set any amount on the car you want. The underwriter actually called me and was very concerned that I would not use the Jag for everyday use, because of the year. but when they realized we had 5 cars she was satified. Lorwoods right you cannot use the jag as a everyday driver.
Thats correct. My agreed upon cost for the XK8 is 18K. They will also ask you to email a photo. FYI once you are a regular customer it's easier to sign on your second car with them as you are already underwritten.

scottrader1 (05-24-2011)
Old 05-24-2011, 04:24 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

that's good to know about a photo and all. I'm a sailor, so I'm not even home half the year, then half of that time I'm with the family in the family car, so I think I'll be ok, but it's worth looking into either way for the cost savings, assuming the price on my other insurance doesn't rise much for losing the multi vehicle discount. I have not driven over 2500 miles in a year thus far, and I don't have a day job to go to, so it'd be hard to say it's a daily driver from their viewpoint, I'd think, but we'll see. Thanks again guys

Quick Reply: Is an XK8 or XKR an Exotic