XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Which XK8 or XKR should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 08:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which XK8 or XKR should I buy?

Hello everyone, this is my first post on this forum.

I plan to buy a jaguar later on this year I’d like to have a 1997-2003 XK8 or XKR convertible I love the body style from that era and a convertible will be almost a perfect weekend/friday night toy. From what I’ve seen online most of them have the GPS build into the dashboard that I simply do not like, looks outdated and I know if I were to buy one with it it would bother me every time I drive it and on top of that I don’t see myself ever using the GPS. I’d rather have one with the three gauges instead of the GPS does anyone know what years/models I should look.

Thank you all!

Old 04-11-2020, 08:25 AM
GGG
Received 16,865 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forums NRAgunnut1993,

I've moved your question from Off Topic to XK8/XKR forum. It is definitely "on topic" and members here will be able to help.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
NRAgunnut1993 (04-11-2020)
Old 04-11-2020, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
Welcome to the forums NRAgunnut1993,

I've moved your question from Off Topic to XK8/XKR forum. It is definitely "on topic" and members here will be able to help.

Graham
I appreciate it

Old 04-11-2020, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,419 Likes on 755 Posts
Default How good are you with a wrench

Hi

Strange choice of selected MY as there were 3 generations of the X100 over the 10 odd years of production. You’ve chosen Generations 1 to 2. Maybe it’s a budget constraint?

Research and getting the service history story is a must. Earlier Gen1 models had all sorts of potential problems - possible engine swap by dealer and other problems fixable by a previous competent owner with decent garage tools and know how.

By Gen2 there was generally the better AJ27 engine and better gearbox. By Gen3 all problems had been fixed plus it had the bigger more powerful 4.2L engine and the better ZF6HP26 gearbox.

If you’re good with a wrench, and willing to put the work in, both in checking paperwork and working in the garage, you’ve nothing to worry about in the Gen 1 or 2 cars. If you go that route you’ll need a fat wallet just in case.

The dash Sat Nav conversion to 3 gauge modification is well documented and seems simple enough if you can find the wooden veneer dash pieces.

My advice is is to find a Gen3 MY 2003-2006 as all known problems were fixed. If not you’ll need to make sure the work has been done by a previous owner, or you need to be prepared to put the work in.... and some work won’t be cheap.

I’ve a Gen1 MY 1999 and it took a year and around USD2000 to get it right. And 2 years in, I’m still working on it to get the car where I want it to be.

Love hurts!

Old 04-11-2020, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 965 Likes on 453 Posts

+1 to what David said about the problems that the first generation XKs have. I saw these cars when they first came
out in 1997 and buying one was always in the back of my mind. I just liked the look of the older XK8s as compared
to the newer ones, more like the old XKEs but updated. After a lot of looking, waiting and researching I finally found
a '97 XK8 coupe with all the service records and all the problem areas addressed, although any 20+ year old car is
going to have some issues and I don't mind throwing the money into it if it needs it since I'm pretty mechanically inept.
I also liked the 3 gauge dash as compared to the navigation dash although the gauges should be replaced with the
RealGauge system from jagwrangler.com, something else that's on my list. Either way I'm sure you'll love the car.

Old 04-11-2020, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by DavidYau
Hi

Strange choice of selected MY as there were 3 generations of the X100 over the 10 odd years of production. You’ve chosen Generations 1 to 2. Maybe it’s a budget constraint?

Research and getting the service history story is a must. Earlier Gen1 models had all sorts of potential problems - possible engine swap by dealer and other problems fixable by a previous competent owner with decent garage tools and know how.

By Gen2 there was generally the better AJ27 engine and better gearbox. By Gen3 all problems had been fixed plus it had the bigger more powerful 4.2L engine and the better ZF6HP26 gearbox.

If you’re good with a wrench, and willing to put the work in, both in checking paperwork and working in the garage, you’ve nothing to worry about in the Gen 1 or 2 cars. If you go that route you’ll need a fat wallet just in case.

The dash Sat Nav conversion to 3 gauge modification is well documented and seems simple enough if you can find the wooden veneer dash pieces.

My advice is is to find a Gen3 MY 2003-2006 as all known problems were fixed. If not you’ll need to make sure the work has been done by a previous owner, or you need to be prepared to put the work in.... and some work won’t be cheap.

I’ve a Gen1 MY 1999 and it took a year and around USD2000 to get it right. And 2 years in, I’m still working on it to get the car where I want it to be.

Love hurts!
The reason I choose those years is from looking at cars online and seeing the earlier models didn’t have the outdated GPS. However I was unaware of the reliability issues until I read what you posted I’ll be willing to go with a 03 - 06 model after reading that and deal with the GPS later on down the road. Is there anything in particular I should look for besides maintenance history?

Thank you

Old 04-11-2020, 01:47 PM
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by NRAgunnut1993
The reason I choose those years is from looking at cars online and seeing the earlier models didn’t have the outdated GPS. However I was unaware of the reliability issues until I read what you posted I’ll be willing to go with a 03 - 06 model after reading that and deal with the GPS later on down the road. Is there anything in particular I should look for besides maintenance history?

Thank you
I have a 2003 MY XKR with no GPS so they are out there. GPS seemed to be a lot less popular in the UK

Old 04-12-2020, 04:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,686 Likes on 1,001 Posts
Default The 1st generation is my 1st choice

Time for the “devils advocate“ to step up on the old soapbox and give the 4.0. cars a little love, nothing. wrong with the early X100’s, especially the XKR’s. That is, if the buyer is just a little discerning. during the purchasing process.

Once the known issues have been taken care of, preferably by the seller or other previous owner, the 1st generation, can have some substantial pluses:

You can save thousands over the 4.2. cars. A 4.0 car that has already had the gremlins fixed can just as reliable as the 4.2 cars . Saving $$$ on the front end of any car ownership makes the inevitable cost of maintenance & repairs down the roads much much less painful.

it’s just my subjective opinion of course , but after having driven both versions, I believe the power of the 4.0 cars is close enough to the 4.2’s to take that consideration off the table.

admittedly, the transmission of the early XK8’s is not as reliable as the later XK8’s. But the early XKR’s have a very sturdy Mercedes transmission. With just basic maintenance l, it should be trouble free.

Z

The following 3 users liked this post by zray:
CorStevens (04-15-2020), OA5599 (04-15-2020), ozbot (04-12-2020)
Old 04-12-2020, 07:29 AM
Received 282 Likes on 164 Posts

Although I have an '03, I agree with zray. It takes all factors involved to get to an answer. Do your research on each candidate of any gen to get the facts. Ask a LOT of questions about service and history. A neglected late gen is worse than a cared for early one. They are all beautiful and fun to drive.

Old 04-12-2020, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,419 Likes on 755 Posts

Is there anything in particular I should look for besides maintenance history?
If you’ve had experience buying old cars, you’ll know you need to see the car in person. Paper trails and photos can only get you so far. In front of the car, there’s the usual visual check for oil leaks, rust and evidence of crash damage. Interior should be ok, switches and bulbs work, but all is fixable if worn/damaged.

Also, as you’re in the market for a convertible, is the hood mechanism working? Open the boot/trunk and take out the right side carpet. Are the hoses to the pump in good condition? There’s a unique ugly phenomenon in our cars aka “The Green Shower” where the overhead latch is above the windscreen. Fluid can leak here onto the driver.

view on RHS of trunk - Gen 1 Convertible’s Hydraulic pump is on top of the rack.

On the test drive, the engine and transmission gear changes should be silky smooth throughout plus the handling straight and with the suspension nothing should be banging/knocking as you take corners. Test Drive the car at least until it’s all hot so you check out the cooling system is 100 percent. Open the bonnet at the end of the test drive to check afterwards. Any funny smells? Are the cooling fans running?

Does the AC and cabin heater work? These can be big ticket items to fix.

The car is beautiful, fast, comfortable and FUN!

Lots to think about and watch out for.

Johnken (04-13-2020)
Old 04-12-2020, 10:34 AM
Received 243 Likes on 136 Posts

I did a fair bit of research before I bought mine and would agree that a 2003-2006 is probably the best bet. I don't know where you are located; but in North America they can be had quite cheaply if you are careful. I bought my 2004 for $13,000 Cdn , fully inspected and drove it from Ontario to Nfld. Mine was considered "high mileage" at 113,000 miles when I bought it , but much of that was driving between Ontario and Florida ( an effortless cruise for an XK8) It was maintained by the local Jag dealer and has been wonderful and trouble free. I have done preemptive maintenance that should be expected for a 15 + year old car. My wife an I do multi thousand km trips every year. It's the best GT I have ever driven.

XK8 or XKR ? That is entirely personal preference. I chose the simpler mechanicals over the increased performance. That being said the XK8 is by no means slow

Old 04-12-2020, 11:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 654 Posts

Gunnut,

If you want a Convertible, go out and look for the newest one you can find...By new, I mean Miles, Year and quality! The newest Model year like 2005 or 2006, after all they are 15 years old now. Miles still mean something, unless the car has been wrecked and by wrecked, I mean badly not a Fender Bend....If you look around, you should be able to find something nice for around $12,00.00 to $15,000.00....The cheaper they are the condition and quality shows!!! Don't buy anything below 2003, as that is the year Jaguar updated the original 4 liter Engine and Transmission, including a couple hundred other parts...….

Billy Clyde in Houston

DavidYau (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 03:42 AM
GGG
Received 16,865 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Thank you
It's not difficult to swap the navigation centre dash section for the three gauge type. Several members have done this. I would put good provenance at a higher priority than this when searching for a potential purchase.

When checking out a vehicle, I sit down with the Owner's Handbook and go through every switch and function. There's a lot of electrics/electronics on an XK and often an apparently minor malfunction can prove both expensive and time consuming to rectify. Faults are also an excellent bargaining point in negotiation.

Most of the items have already been covered but one of the regular questions we get from newbie buyers of used Jaguars is "where do I get replacement keys/remotes?". If there isn't 2 black headed master keys, 1 green headed valet key and 2 remotes, factor this into the purchase.

Graham

zray (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

Can I start by saying you have been given some good advice above through this post. My best advise is to ask for someone who actually has a XKR to go with you to inspect the car. They should look at the car subjectively whilst your looking with "I want one" eyes.

Personal preference is get a XKR. 3 dials. Decent alloys. Lots of good paperwork to show the car has been looked after. Cheap ones are usually pre 2003, Sat Nav, Black Seats. Greenish dash. Will let you work out why. All in the eyes of the beholder.

zray (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 654 Posts

GunNut,

If you've just got to have the 3 Dials, you can get those from a Member! He sells the 3 Dials thing and some other good up grades. If you buy an XK8 or XKR, let us know and we'll give you his email address.....somewhere around $200.00 Bucks! As far as the Navigation goes, I love it....The Clock is great and I can still find most addresses in and around Houston...It's just the new Roads and new areas around Town that aren't marked...Personally, I don't like the Dials....My 1997 and 2000 had the 3 Dials and I was really happy for the Navigation system....You usually know where you are going anyway and it's a great clock...

Billy Clyde

The following 2 users liked this post by bcprice36:
DavidYau (04-13-2020), zray (04-13-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 09:14 AM
Received 406 Likes on 285 Posts

if you like the early look but wish the most modern, Gen 3, the 2003 is the best of both worlds. if my 2001 Gen 2 was destroyed, this is where i would probably go unless a great Gen 2 presented itself. the other consideration is that there is a slightly different feel to the 4.0 engine especially as an XKR; it revs with ease. the other choice is supercharged or not, and the only advice is to drive both and see what you like. my decision was totally about the sound and the fact that i would rather push the car a little more than it pushes me, just a personal taste but tried both. the XKR is a terrific car, but should be a coupe since the extra rigidity is needed to fully appreciate it. the convertible XKR that i tried flexed a bit too much for a car that i might be tempted to push with all of the power. as for the transmissions in the early XK8s, the previous owner changed the fluid very often and i took the leap of replacing the A-drum before failure.

now this might seem a little crazy but consider your intended uses. everyone says that they want a perfect car, until they desire to use it. mine was never wrecked, bent or rusted but could use some paint correction, perhaps a new top and headliner, and the rear seat could use some recoating if one stared at it long enough. it cleans up very nicely. would not take much for a 100 point car as i have everything and do not abuse it or drive it on horrible roads, in winter salt or dangerous areas. nor have i modified things in a nasty way. however, i can use it and do. my drive to the office three days is fine for the car. go to the shopping center with it. if there is a ding or road chip, no big deal with some touch up. i have some extra sets of things known to break. my "regular" car sat for so long that the brake pads rusted to the rotors. i have friends with nice specialty cars of all ages, some newer, some older. a lot of them spend their lives cleaning and fret rain, dust, chips, etc. i brought mine to a local car show and forgot to wash it. if something is not perfect, it does not make me insane. what matters is preserving so that things do not deteriorate. you might wish to consider a mechanically sound, well kept but not so perfect specimen.

just food for though, it is always best to know what you want.