XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

XK8/XKR temperature monitoring and warning

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2024, 01:30 PM
Received 54 Likes on 17 Posts
Default XK8/XKR temperature monitoring and warning

Hey guys.
I read now many of the (mostly) old threads about how to monitor the temperature of our jags. Since the temperature gauge is almost as fake as the oil pressure gauge i looked for a "easy" solution.
Some Threads here state the most elegant solution by modding the existing gauge (https://www.thejagwrangler.com/xk8--...realgauge.html). If you live here in germany it might get a little expensive (shipping, tax, etc.).
The second solution which i chose was often mentioned here and in other boards. The problem, they are not often correct, specific or up2date.
I took a wireless OBD dongle connected to a app on my phone. So that sounds quiet unspecific right?
Thats where my thoughts started... i was right about buying a bluetooth dongle from amazon as i found out that they have connection problems if you use a iPhone. The next problem was, which dongle is good? 3$? 30$? 100$? the more expencive the better?
The dongle they state here is mostly available in the US but not EU etc. etc.

So to get a solution for ALL of us i did some research and testing...
What we need: + a free to use app which is stable and has some extras (coming up to that later), + good quality dongle; + a small (mini) wireless dongle that doesnt stick out that much with ELM327 support

I took a dongle from the company "Veepeak" (NO, i dont get any money for that advert., not bad quality and available in the US and EU) --> https://veepeak.com/collections/all
They offer two kind of Mini-Dongles, a black and a blue one --> VP01 and VP11

my iPhone friends (cult fellowers ):
Due to the lack of the support of some bluetooth protocols you need to get a wireless dongle which communicates over WiFi NOT Bluetooth. So your choice should be a dongle like the VP01 (black)
https://veepeak.com/products/obdcheck-vp01
The website makes some suggestions for compatible Apps.
I tested the "Car Scanner ELM OBD" because it is for free and has some rly cool features. You can set-up your dashboard and customize it. So the main thing: You can adjust the visual and acustic warning for the Temperature.
You only need to get into the car. Connect the dongle via Wifi and turn on the app. After connecting you are ready to go. No need to look on the phone if you dont want to. I set the warning signal at about 110 degree Celsius.

Android users:
You might use the same dongle like the iPhone (iOS) user. Since android has less restrictions you can use the bluetooth protocol too. That clears your wifi so you can still use it. As a solution Veepeak suggests you using the VP11 dongle.
https://veepeak.com/products/obdcheck-vp11
As i read here - without any own experience - you should use the Torque Lite/Pro App. Maybe there is a android user out here who could state if that app still works for you?

Hope i could give some help.

@admin: If the advertising is any problem, please delete it. I only looked for a higher quality dongle which is available everywhere.

The following users liked this post:
zray (03-18-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,686 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Very cool ! Thank you for doing the research.

Z

Old 03-20-2024, 01:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 503 Posts

Dont mess about get a HUD P10 for about £30 and it displays eng temp from the OBD with an adjustable alarm.
I have two one shows MPH and eng temp and the other KPH and french time . Mount up by the mirror or the sun makes it hard to read.

Old 03-20-2024, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by Pistnbroke
Dont mess about get a HUD P10 for about £30 and it displays eng temp from the OBD with an adjustable alarm.
I have two one shows MPH and eng temp and the other KPH and french time . Mount up by the mirror or the sun makes it hard to read.
wow okay. thats a cool one too.

can you leave it plugged in while the car is off (consumption?)?

never heard about that solution and sounds good to me

Old 03-20-2024, 03:05 AM
Veteran Member

Yes fit and forget ..time able shut down I have a USB splitter to work two of them. Velcro on the screen and on the top of the P10 and it fits the contour fine.. Do not get the GPS one .

Loads on ebay

Old 03-20-2024, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Pistnbroke
Yes fit and forget ..time able shut down I have a USB splitter to work two of them. Velcro on the screen and on the top of the P10 and it fits the contour fine.. Do not get the GPS one .

Loads on ebay

would you mind making a pic from the part mounted in thr car?

Old 03-20-2024, 04:44 AM
Veteran Member

This is on a Range Rover as the Jag is not here...Same idea ..Tuck the wire under the head lining and down behind the rubber door seal and hence to the socket. Visor does not obstruct. The MPH will show correct if you set the adjust to 111% as the original speedo reads low ( check with a GPS) If overheating is a problem make sure you have a 82 deg thermostat.

Last edited by Pistnbroke; 03-20-2024 at 04:48 AM.