XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XKR 02 driver door problem.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 11:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XKR 02 driver door problem.

Having a problem with driver door ,no puddle light and no interior lights when door is opened and will not lock ,passenger side works just fine it terms of puddle lights and interior lights when door is opened.,but will not lock.
any help to point me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Old 04-20-2020, 09:51 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forums Mark,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to XK8/XKR forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 04-20-2020, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,319 Likes on 1,004 Posts

It sounds like the micro-switches in the lock mechanism are stuck and the door module can't tell if door is open or closed. Before tearing it apart I would recommend opening the door and spraying it down heavily thru the lock are with wd-40. I would also spray thru the key latch. Spray it down and cycle the door a few times to see if they will free up.

Old 04-20-2020, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Mark what year is the car?

Does the dash display say drivers door open?
Assume that you have a convertible. Does the drivers window drop properly when handle opens door?
Does anything electric work on the drivers door - ever? ( mirrors, window up down does it control passengerwindow properly)

What happens when: door shut, car running? did she used to auto lock in drive? does either door auto lock?

You outside, press lock on key fob. What do locks do?

Car off, press driver door lock handle = what happens. Press pass door handle =?

car running press lock =? Pull lock =?

If it's an earlier car a bad micro switch will: force door open message on dash. Windows will drop everytime you touch a door handle (car thinks door is shut and latched). Puddle lights wi not be lit.

We look forward to more information mark

Old 04-21-2020, 12:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Mark just noticed the 02 in your messages title. The reason I asked about the year is because earlier cars like mine had a lot more items tied to the micro switch in the door latch. If the switch failed = door closed, the puddle lights won't turn on . From trouble shooting this with others over the years I found that at some point,not sure about 2002, the puddle lights are triggered by something else. I expect the Drivers Door open message and the window drop are switched through the door latch for all years, but m.j maybe someone remembers better than I do.

John

Old 04-21-2020, 07:43 AM

Ok thanks for the help guys .
car used to auto lock when put in gear.
Single beep when trying to lock with fob.
Window doesn't reset driver side.
seeing as the passenger door is ok ,i was thinking I would swap out the control module to see if that's it ,if not I'm guessing micro switch.is this a good plan ?
mark

Old 04-21-2020, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,418 Likes on 755 Posts
Default Maybe different problems caused by door latch microswitches

Mark

I would dive into the door latch first to check out its 3 microswitches. Straight forward job if you have small hands to work in the door cavity. Our Rev Sam has a Youtube How To video.

I would caution to disconnect battery and/or window fuse for the sake of safety.

Plus Rev Sam made one error in disconnecting the vertical link. Just unsheathe the plastic collar by pushing down the plastic to reveal the metal male/female link that then slides out.

Good luck and let us know what you find. I have spares of these microswitches in a box as they seem common throughout the car.

Lots of other threads on this replacement in this door latch location, so is a common problem due to age.

Old 04-22-2020, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by DavidYau
Mark

I would dive into the door latch first to check out its 3 microswitches. Straight forward job if you have small hands to work in the door cavity. Our Rev Sam has a Youtube How To video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DV1hy3AYni0

I would caution to disconnect battery and/or window fuse for the sake of safety.

Plus Rev Sam made one error in disconnecting the vertical link. Just unsheathe the plastic collar by pushing down the plastic to reveal the metal male/female link that then slides out.

Good luck and let us know what you find. I have spares of these microswitches in a box as they seem common throughout the car.

Lots of other threads on this replacement in this door latch location, so is a common problem due to age.
ok thanks I'll do that first david.thanks

Old 04-22-2020, 12:05 PM

Ok great,it was the latch micro switch ,I replaced it with the d2sw- 3l3ms from mouser electronics. $6.00 .
thanks for all the help ,
Mark.

The following users liked this post:
DavidYau (04-22-2020)