Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XKR-100 Electronic Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 09:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XKR-100 Electronic Issues

All:

finally got my XKR-100 delivered. Absolutely beautiful car!!!

Anyway, I've noted a few electronic issues that it has. Before I head over to the Jag dealership to get rolled and my wallet beaten, I wanted to educate myself first as to what the issue could be.

1. The steering wheel up/down adjust sounds like it's working...you can hear the motor working, but the wheel doesn't go up or down. It does go in and out. The issue with this is that it needs to go up 1/4" to get the wheel off my leg while driving!!! There's power to the motor...but no movement. Perhaps a slipped gear? Not sure what makes it go up and down under the cover...

2. The passenger seat controls don't work at all. The lumbar works, but any movement controls are inoperable. I'm guessing they were never used as the passenger seat is all the way back against the back seat and it was probably never adjusted. But, I want it to work, so it's important to me! Could this possibly be a bad fuse?

3. The passenger door window goes fully "up" before the door is fully closed. This makes a 1/4" gap with the window hitting the doorframe...not only is this scratching the paint, I have to make sure the passenger window is down before anyone gets out of the passenger side...and THEN roll it up once they're out. So much for opening the door and being a gentleman... Not sure how to fix this one...I'm guessing the door THINKS it's fully closed before it actually is...

Any suggestions with what might be wrong on these? I love the car, and have to get these fixed...

Thanks!!!

Dave

Old 06-20-2010, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

The steering wheel tilt/reach motors are a reoccurring issue. Lube gets thick with age and loads the motors and/or the position potentiometer get a dead spot and the motor continues to run stripping the 4" drive cable.

The tilt is the easy one to fix. Motor is accessible and the cable easily replaced. $50 part.

The seat operation is controlled by a module located under each seat. They are the same and fairly easy to get out so they can be swapped to verify if one is the problem. Common issue with the module is that the case rubs on the circuit board eventually breaking the printed connector. A crafty owner can easily repair with a fine piece of wire and a low wattage soldering iron.

The windows also have a module and lose their memory with a low battery or removing the battery. You 'teach' the modules the upper and lower limits by, with the door closed, lowering the window all the way and hold the button down until you hear a 'click'. Then run the window up and hold the button for the click. That should fix that issue.

Welcome to the world of Jaguar! These cars are best owned by folks that love them enough to work on them or wealthy enough for it to not matter.

Couple suggestions: You posted on the XJ forum rather than the XK. The XK forum has an alphabetical FAQ sticky that covers almost anything that you can think of. The "General Tech Help' forum has a link to a site to download a free copy of the Jaguar Technical Information System (JTIS) which is the full dealer technical documentation and repair procedure for all models '95 up through '03.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=9933

Old 06-20-2010, 12:04 PM

Test Point-

Thanks for the advice! I'll try the window fix.

Sorry for posting in the wrong forum! Esp being a moderator on two other (non-car) forums...that's embarrasing! Moderator - please move to the right forum...

Dave

Old 06-20-2010, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts

Also, the fuse for the passenger seat is in the fusebox which is accessible when you open up the passenger door. It's on the right side of the dashboard. Pull off the cover and look for the 20 amp fuse about halfway down on the left column of fuses. I don't think that's your problem since lumbar support is working, but you can check it just to be sure.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:55 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Dave,
Congrats on the new Jag, I'm sure that you'll love it once you get the kinks worked out!
Brian

Old 06-23-2010, 08:43 PM

All-

Thanks for the pointers! As for the window, I've taken it down and back up until it clicks both times while in the closed position...but it still doesn't seat right. Should the key be in a certain position for it to program correctly?

Also, just realized that the CD changer magazine was missing from the car...I know the part number for it, but can't seem to find one used (and I don't want to drop big dough at the dealer's...) This might sound crazy, but are all Jaguar CD magazines the same? Can't think they'd be TOO different...

Thanks again...

Dave

Old 06-23-2010, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

The window memory reset procedure is a simple reset. If that doesn't work you may have a mechanical problem. Key position doesn't matter as long as you can operate the window.

The CD case is a common item available at Walmart for 3 for $10.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,985 Likes on 2,124 Posts

Dave-
This type of Alpine magazine works in both my 2001 XKR and my 2003 S-type:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ALPINE-CHM-CHA-6...item483b08a8c2

But I am afraid there are several type of magazines out there, including different flavors of Alpine, so I cannot say for sure about your 2002.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

I bought some spare CD magazines on ebay. One was listed for a BMW, but worked fine.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:38 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,150 Likes on 753 Posts

If the window reset doesn't work (while the engine is running, so you don't have to worry about a weak battery) more than likely its the micro switch in the latch...just ask Sam, he's doing the exact same thing on his. He also started a thread, it should be in the top 2-3 pages if you want to follow along.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:35 PM
Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Default c/d mag

i compaired the mag in my 99 xk8 to the one in my 96 xj6,they looked like a pefect match..steve