XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

XKR 2001 Kenne Bell 2.1 completed but a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2024, 10:58 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default XKR 2001 Kenne Bell 2.1 completed but a few questions

Hallo Leute,Dies wird heute mein erster Beitrag in diesem Forum sein.Bis heute war ich immer nur ein stiller Leser.
Mein Name ist Dirk und ich habe einen XKR von 04 - 2001.

Das Auto ist ein reines Hobby und ich benutze es nur an wenigen Tagen im Sommer.Letzten Herbst habe ich mir einen Kenne Bell / HPS 2.1 Kompressor gekauft und eingebaut.Ich will keine 600PS oder mehr erreichen, aber mehr, als meine große untere Riemenscheibe im Moment leisten kann.
Da ich keine Möglichkeiten zum 3D-Fräsen habe, habe ich alle Teile in der Garage hergestellt.Der Adapter vom Gashebel zum Lufteinlass dehnt sich nun auf volle Größe aus, am Auslass habe ich mit der Oberfräse eine Adapterplatte gemacht.Die originale Bypassklappe habe ich beibehalten und entsprechend gekürzt.
Der Lufteinlass erfolgt vom Luftfilterkasten 90mm innen zur Drosselklappe.

Nach stundenlangem Lesen in diesem Forum über viele Wochen bin ich davon ausgegangen, dass das Motorsteuergerät die zusätzliche Luftmenge automatisch anpasst.Aber das scheint nicht der Fall zu sein, oder mache ich etwas grundlegend falsch?!Der Motor hat 56.000 Meilen auf dem Tacho und lief vor dem Umbau einwandfrei.Der Motor springt perfekt an und läuft einwandfrei in der Warmlaufphase.Sobald der Motor warm ist, fängt er oberhalb von 3000 U/min an zu stottern und ich möchte unter diesen Umständen einen Kick Down vermeidenDer Fehlerspeicher bleibt ohne Einträge.Ich lese mit IDS 118.5 und VCM.

Es wäre schön, ein paar Tipps zu bekommen, wie man vorgehen kann.

The following 4 users liked this post by selfmadexkr:
Brizzy (04-16-2024), Capt'n Col (04-16-2024), giandanielxk8 (05-20-2024), JimmyL (04-17-2024)
Old 04-16-2024, 12:26 PM
Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts

I shouldn'thinknk you will need a whole new ECU and Mass Air Flow Sensor.

Old 04-16-2024, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,060 Likes on 851 Posts

you have the original maf housing, as long as you don’t change that it doesn’t matter.

check equivalence ratio with a scan tool, if you can’t then tee in a wideband. i forgot if aj27 has the lambda equivalence data pid or not.

make sure fuel pressure is good and both pumps run

Last edited by xalty; 04-16-2024 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-16-2024, 12:52 PM

From everything I've read, the larger MAF is only necessary at higher power levels (air flow).
The ECM would self-adjust up to 25%. The ECM of this year cannot be programmed

Fuel pressure should be fine, but I'll check.Both pumps are fine, although I haven't gotten around to switching on the second pump yet because I haven't had full load yet

Old 04-17-2024, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by selfmadexkr
From everything I've read, the larger MAF is only necessary at higher power levels (air flow).
The ECM would self-adjust up to 25%. The ECM of this year cannot be programmed

Fuel pressure should be fine, but I'll check.Both pumps are fine, although I haven't gotten around to switching on the second pump yet because I haven't had full load yet
25% more power? or 25% more air flow? That would be rpetty cool if it could do 25% mroe power.

Old 04-17-2024, 12:46 PM

Both, I'm currently using a large lower pulley and a pulley in the original diameter at the top like the Eaton.With this gear ratio, a speed of around 14,500 rpm is achieved, which corresponds to an air flow of +30 percent.The air filter is not yet optimal and the diameter of the throttle valve is, so there should still be a little more power.The torque from idle is already incredible and different than with the Eaton.This type of compressor conversion was often discussed here more than 10 years ago, but I haven't read much new recently

Old 04-17-2024, 04:17 PM
Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

If all the equipment is the same except for the supercharger (same MAF/Mass Airflow Sensor, same bypass value, same throttle body) then I agree with xalty that the AJ27 ECU should easily work with the small differences. The MAF has some 'headroom' for higher flows (although I do not know how much). The ECU should be able to process the higher mass air flows and lower intake temperature without issues. The ECU adapts itself well even if there are changes to the MAF or fuel pressure, such as was typically done with the the "Avos" Kenne-Bell conversion from a few years ago. I would also check that the fuel pressure is good under load (and changes with boost pressure, showing that the fuel pressure regulator is confirmed to be working), and the fuel trims (LTFT, STFT) look good (no air leaks). You could also check with IDS the air temperature entering the intercoolers (IAT2) to make sure there is no issue with the bypass valve and intercooler operation. What boost pressure are you operating at, maybe in the 10-17 psi range? IDS can perform data logging of the upstream oxygen sensors, which are wideband, and record a positive/negative current depending on rich/lean condition, so this could be a final check that everything is OK.
Other than that, and with no error codes/DTCs, it is difficult to guess what the issue could be. The ECU will limit rpm to 3000 under various error conditions (as well as when in park/neutral), but I would expect these error conditions to generate codes/DTCs.

Old 04-18-2024, 12:13 AM

Hallo und guten Morgen,ich habe genau diese Information aus den alten Threads gelesen.
Ich glaube, ich habe gestern Abend meinen Hauptgegner gefunden: Es ist das Bypassventil.Ich musste die Verbindung zur Klappe zweimal umleiten, was die Bedienung etwas schwieriger macht als beim Original.
Ich habe beide Varianten hier getestet.Ich vermute, dass der Unterdruck nicht ausreicht, um es zu öffnen, daher der ungleichmäßige Lauf.Die Temperatur am Verdichteraustritt ist extrem hoch, was ebenfalls auf eine geschlossene Bypassklappe schließen lässt.
Gestern habe ich Vollgas gegeben.Einer der beiden Verbindungsstutzen der Bypassklappe platzt - eine Kombination aus viel zu hoher Temperatur und Druck.Die Temperatur am Kompressorauslass ist einfach zu hoch.
Die Socken sind ein 3D-Druck.Der geringe Abstand und die versetzten Achsen machen es unmöglich, Silikonschläuche zu verlegen.Ich muss diese in einem anderen Material drucken.
Ich hatte eine niedrigere Temperatur als beim Eaton erwartet, aber wenn das das Problem ist, wird es gelöst.
Ich muss mehr mit dem IDS arbeiten.Abgesehen davon, dass ich ein paar Codes gelöscht habe, habe ich es noch nicht verwendet - ein großer Fehler, wie sich herausstellt.

Old 04-18-2024, 12:14 AM

Nice to know the ECU can adjust that far, I wasn't aware it could go much past stock conditions. Is it possible the exhaust is restricting the flow as the standard unit has a crushed section?

Old 04-18-2024, 12:19 AM

Die Auspuffanlage wurde ab dem Katalysator komplett neu konzipiert und ist ohne Einschränkungen aus Edelstahl gefertigt.Das ist definitiv nicht das Problem und erklärt auch nicht das raue Laufverhalten und die schlechte Gasannahme im mittleren Drehzahlbereich.

Old 04-18-2024, 12:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,060 Likes on 851 Posts

go collect some data. nobody can help you diagnose a modded car without details

fuel pressure under load

get a pair of afr widebands

Old 04-18-2024, 12:29 AM

Could a leak in the intake or near the supercharger cause that behaviour?

Old 04-18-2024, 09:58 AM
Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts

Dear Selfmade.

Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your wonderful project.
Hopefully some of my experiences might help.

I’ve had an Andre Vos, 2.6L HP twin screw system for 11 years now and it has worked incredibly well. I am very lucky person as Andre fitted his system personally. If you can reach out to Andre this would be your best option, if not here are a few, hopefully, useful bits of information from my original build that might help.

1) My ECU has not been reprogrammed, it is original, and the car runs perfectly. (I regularly check with an OBD reader to check all working parameters).

2) Every time the battery is reconnected the ECU must relearn most of its working parameters. My car sometimes stutters at 3000 rpm until the ECU has been driven through multiple drive cycles. After this, the car works perfectly with no fault codes shown. (There is a complete subject somewhere in the forum on this process of self-learning drive cycles).

3) To help with heat dissipation we used a larger area but thinner thickness, 1” thick inter-cooler radiator with the upgraded hi circulation Bosh pump. This helps.

4) A Kenne Bell Boost-A-pump unit is used with a high-pressure regulator to Guarantee enough fuel flow and pressure, it works perfectly.

5) I have an off the shelf 90mm MAF fitted from Pro-M racing fitted to the 90mm silicon intake. www.promracing.com/3-5-pro-tube.html

6) I also have a 90mm K+N (RC-3690) round tapered, bucket air filter, fitted in the right wing outside the engine compartment to collect cold air and help improve smooth air low.

I hope some of this information helps. Again, the person you need to talk with is Andre. Please keep us all updated with your adventures.

Very best wishes and good luck, Sincerely, Colin.

Old 04-18-2024, 01:43 PM

Hallo und guten Abend, erstmal vielen Dank für alle Informationen.
Ja, ich habe die meisten Informationen aus den AVOS-Threads entnommen.Die KB2.6-Variante kann sich sehen lassen.Leider ist es für mich nicht machbar - ich will alles selbst machen :-)

Gute Nachrichten: Der Wagen läuft sehr, sehr gut - es war die Bypass-Klappe.Jetzt öffnet es sich und ich messe -8 bis -0,4 psi während der normalen Fahrt.Der Kompressor ist jetzt angenehm leise (vorher war er dreimal so laut)Die Temperatur an der Luftauslasshaube (V8) ist leicht warm.Ich habe mir vorher die Finger verbrannt.

Nun die schlechte Nachricht: Bei voller Beschleunigung steigt der IAT auf etwa 160 °F 70 °C. Die gedruckten Anschlüsse der Bypass-Klappe können das nicht und platzen.Ich bin überrascht, dass die Temperatur des Ladeluftkühlers und der Schläuche nicht mehr als 45°C 110°F beträgt.Kann das normal sein?Ich benutze die bessere Bosch-Pumpe und die Flüssigkeit fließt perfekt - wenn ich die Schläuche verenge, drückt und rauscht sie.

Der große Flachkühler ist geplant, ich habe hier den Konusluftfilter und den Bohrer für das Loch im Kotflügel.

Ich werde mir erst ein geeigneteres Material für den Anschluss der Bypassklappe besorgen, hier liegt das größte Problem.Ich habe mir auch das Boost-a-Pumpensystem angesehen.Vorher muss alles problemlos funktionieren.Ich glaube, ich bin nah dran.Die Anschlüsse platzen kurz vor dem Drehzahlbegrenzer.
Mit dem Übersetzungsverhältnis der großen unteren Riemenscheibe und der oberen 75-mm-Riemenscheibe sollte die Kompressordrehzahl 14500 U/min betragen, was 15psi entsprechen sollte.Ich habe 12psi gemessen, während ich mit 6000 U/min gefahren bin.Gibt es einen Rechenfehler bei Tabellen, die ich online gefunden habe?Oder gibt es einen möglichen Druckverlust nach dem Kompressor?Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Dirk

The following users liked this post:
Capt'n Col (04-18-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 05:47 PM

The intake air temperature after intercoolers would obviously depend on the coolant temperate for the intercoolers, so will increase depending on heat soak. I have not measured it, but on a very hard run i would guess 170 F/ 70 C could be reasonable very briefly, especially if the coolant temperature is higher, however I can't comment confidently whether there is a possible cooling issue. The intercoolers do get dirty, and cleaning the air passages with some solvent might help. Water/Methanol injection is also an option.

Andre modified the angle of the intercooler air pipes that connect to the bypass value (but cutting them, rotating, and welding back), as well as making changes to the lengths of the pipes on the bypass valve body, and using a different valve (as you can see from Capt'n Col's photos). These could be ideas to consider in your design.

The standard air intake and 82 mm throttle body are well known to be restrictive, so I would estimate you are losing 1-2 psi of atmospheric pressure at the intake before the supercharger, if you are still using the standard equipment. If so, unless I am mistaken, losing 3 psi overall would not be unexpected versus a theoretical calculation of boost pressure.

Old 04-18-2024, 11:24 PM

You're right, the loss at the entrance is deducted at the exit, I didn't consider that. I will carry out a measurement of the vacuum after the throttle valve to get a value here.

Given the temperature of the intercooler and the pipes, I was surprised that they were significantly cooler than the engine cooling lines. It's the same system. I will install a flow meter to test. The pump runs perfectly, which can be felt in the rubber hoses. Shouldn't the water temperature in the intercoolers adjust to the engine coolant temperature after a few minutes???

Yes, the socks, you said the right thing! I cleaned the coolers perfectly before installing them. I'm now thinking about moving the pipes. If 3D printing with high temperature TPU is not successful, this will be my option. Unfortunately I don't have the space like in the AVOS kit described because my throttle valve remained in the original installation location

Old 04-19-2024, 09:32 AM

The cooling systems for the engine, and the one for the intercoolers, are only connected at the coolant refill tank. The two systems flow independently with different pumps.
You could consider adding a temperature sensor to the intercooler radiator, especially if you are going to upgrade it, to monitor the status of that system.

Using the formula from Kenne-Bell website (assuming it is approximately correct...)
Boost = { [ (Supercharger Size in litres) * (Pulley ratio) ] / [ (Engine size in litres) / 2 ] } * Pin – Pa, where Pa is atmospheric pressure and Pin is the pressure at the input to the supercharger
If you have a 75 mm upper pulley, and the crankshaft pulley is approximately 147 mm, then:
{[ 2.1 * (147/75) ] / [4.0/2]} * Pin - Pa = 2.06 * Pin - Pa
If you are at sea level so approximately 14.7 psi atmospheric pressure, and if I estimate you lose 1.5 psi due to the input restrictions
Boost = 12.7 * 2.06 - 14.7 = 12.5 psi
There would be some small additional losses because the supercharger obviously has some inefficiencies.
So 12 psi does seem reasonable, and you could possibly gain up to 1.5 * 2.06 = 3 psi by improving the intake.
And then trying to reduce the intake air temperature as much as possible (lower intercooler temperatures, water/methanol injection, etc.), to avoid ignition timing retardation, is another optimization.

Old 04-19-2024, 12:15 PM

Quick correction...... (13.2 *2.06) - 14.7 = 12.5

Old 04-19-2024, 03:10 PM

Die Trennung der Wassermengen allein über den Nachfüllbehälter ist mir bis heute nicht aufgefallen, aber du hast recht.Es macht also alles Sinn.

Die untere Riemenscheibe hat einen Durchmesser von 174mm, also ist das Verhältnis 2,32Der Druck müsste etwas höher sein, da ich eine Drehzahl von ca. 14000-14500 U/min erreichen sollte.
Als ich den Kompressor gekauft habe, kannte ich den 100% perfekten Einbauort nicht.Also bestellte ich eine Standardschnauze.Mit Hilfe eines Stahladapters habe ich die Länge um ein paar fehlende Millimeter angepasst und eine Edelbrock-Umlenkrolle mit 4 Inbusschrauben verbaut. Es gibt also viele verfügbare Größen von Riemenscheiben und man könnte dies in Zukunft anpassen.
Ich hoffe, dass ich in der kommenden Woche die Anschlüsse der Steckdosen mit einem Widerstand von 140°C habe und dann werde ich weitere Messungen vornehmen.
Die technische Kontrolle der Polizei und der TÜV sprechen aktuell gegen den großen Kegelfilter im Radkasten und die Wassereinspritzung. Ich denke, es ist (fast) unmöglich, diese legal zu betreiben.Die Wassereinspritzung konnte nahezu unsichtbar eingebaut werden, aber der fehlende Luftfilterkasten kann nicht versteckt werden.Vielen Dank für alle Tipps!!

Old 04-19-2024, 03:52 PM

Ich habe noch eine Frage zum Entlüften der Kenne Bell.Der Laden, der mir die Schnauze und den Kompressor verkaufte, gab mir ein veraltetes Schnauzendesign.Es ist ohne die selbstentlüftende Schraube für die Riemenscheibe.Die werkseitige Lüftungsöffnung (Allen) befindet sich genau unter der Thermostatbrücke.Der Kundendienst teilte mir mit, dass dies kein Problem sei, die Entlüftung könne über den Getriebedeckel erfolgen.Ich habe jetzt einen 5mm Sinterfilter eingebaut, der aber bei Volllast etwas Öl herausgepresst hat.Das ist natürlich nicht schön.Wie haben Sie das Problem mit der Belüftung gelöst?Ein kleiner Behälter wie eine Fangdose?

Quick Reply: XKR 2001 Kenne Bell 2.1 completed but a few questions