XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

XKR 2001 Kenne Bell 2.1 completed but a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2024, 04:57 AM
Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts

The pulley bolt that attaches the pulley to the snout is an M12 with a breather hole straight through middle of the shaft, photo bellow. Contact these guys, info@jmtech.se They have the part you need. JMtech in Sweden make the compressors for Kenne Bell. They are an incredible source of information,

advice and are nice people. No oil leaks with this system.
Best of luck, Colin.

Old 04-20-2024, 05:41 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hallo Colin,vielen Dank für das Detail.
Da ich alle Teile bei einem Händler in Schweden gekauft habe, habe ich mich dann an JMTech gewandt.Hier wurde mir gesagt, dass die Konstruktion veraltet ist und ich das Getriebegehäuse entlüften soll.
Die Riemenscheibe und die Schraube sind bei mir identisch, aber ohne das Entlüftungsloch.Wie alt ist Ihr Kompressor?
Ich bin immer noch sprachlos, dass ich alte Teile erhalten habe

Old 04-20-2024, 06:04 AM

Ich habe mir gerade noch einmal die Unterschiede im Snout angeschaut.Ich habe auf jeden Fall einen Gen1-Snout erhalten.Ein Streit mit einem Geschäft in Schweden aus Deutschland wird wenig Erfolg haben, da das Teil bereits installiert ist.Ich werde das Beste daraus machen und versuchen, den kleinen Sinterfilter vom Öl abzuschirmen

Old 04-20-2024, 07:45 AM

Hey Dirk. My compressor is 12 years old. I have just sent it back for a complete service after the plastic crush drive partially disintegrated into the gearbox. The guys there where fantastic with advice and service. They gave no information about any upgrades but couldn't have been more helpful. Keep the questions coming.

Old 05-01-2024, 03:44 PM

Hallo und guten Abend, heute durfte ich eine lange Probefahrt machen.
Ich habe einen Hard-Reset gemacht und war dann ca. 50km unterwegs.Alle bisherigen Probleme gibt es nicht mehr.Die Kenne Bell ist sehr dezent, aber unter Last wirklich faszinierend.Das ist mit dem Eaton nicht möglich.Ich glaube, ich brauche den großen MAF.Der Wagen beschleunigt sehr schnell auf 5200 U/min und schaltet sich dann plötzlich ab.Nicht wie der Drehzahlbegrenzer mit dem Stottern, sondern ein kompletter Stopp.Ich denke, die maximale Luftmasse ist überschritten.Kann ich diese live im IDS messen und protokollieren?Nach den neuesten Informationen, die ich gelesen habe, wird der große MAF nicht mehr mit den XKR X100 Werten ausgeliefert.

Old 05-01-2024, 11:20 PM
Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

Mass Air Flow data is a standard parameter in OBD2.
You should be able to view live data/current data (OBD2 service 01) using any scanner that supports this, as well as with IDS.
The standard protocol ID for the MAF is decimal 16/hex 10
I don't have my version of IDS running at the moment, but I expect it should be fairly easy to configure it to view current data / live data / real time data and select the MAF value as the target parameter to display and record.
The maximum value of this standard obd2 pid is 0xffff/100 in gram/sec, which is 655 g/s, which is much more than you would have at maximum revs.
I estimate that the AJ27 ECM internal tables/processing are such that a MAF reading of about 4.7 Volts will correspond to a MAF flow rate of about 650 g/sec. (my estimate would be over 700 horsepower at this flow rate)
If the standard MAF sensor maximum output is limited, maybe to a maximum of approximately 400 g/sec, this would be a voltage output of about 4V maximum. So another option might be to monitor the MAF sensor output volts and determine what the maximum value is.

If you need to use a different MAF, but cannot get one with the correct calibration (such as the Pro-M 92) , it could be adjusted using a home built arduino module or similar.
I do this on my XKR with such a module. It receives the 5V input from the Pro-M 92, and outputs an adjusted 5V signal to the ECM
(although my Pro-M 92 has already has a custom calibration, it needs some additional adjustment at very low flow values, and I did not want to send it back multiple times for additional programming, so I use the arduino unit to modify the signal)

Old 05-02-2024, 02:26 PM

Hello and good evening, thank you very much for the food for thought.I will definitely measure the air mass/voltage.It seems that three new construction sites have been added:Greater MAFBoost a pumpWater Meth injectionWhat annoys me the most at the moment is the outdated design of the snout without the ventilation via the pulley screw.I started reading a little about the Arduino module - completely new territory for me.but Pro-M probably won't make any calibrated MAF for the AJ27

Old 05-20-2024, 06:11 AM

Hello, I'm back again.
I needed some time as I have a lot of other things to do besides the car.

I purchased a large K&N cone filter and matching silicone sheets in 89mm as well as a matching drill and a rubber grommet for the fender.

The throttle valve probably cannot be expanded because maxbore.com is no longer available.
Likewise, the large air mass sensor will probably be out of my reach since the Jaguar aj27 calibration is no longer offered. That's a shame, but I'll have to live with it.

An important finding, however, is that my second fuel pump is broken. I built a cable bridge and found that the pump was dead. I hope this explains the Bank 1 and Bank 2 lean condition. In the middle speed range it drives fantastically, from 5000 rpm it still switches off abruptly and the training run shakes at every traffic light.

Is there a tip for a make of the two fuel pumps? Among other things, I read that Bosch 040 are an option.

Thank you for some information and best regards, Dirk

Old 05-20-2024, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,060 Likes on 851 Posts

run a standard flow pump in position 1. ford gt (05 supercar) pump in position 2

Old 05-20-2024, 08:54 AM

This means different flow rates for the pumps? Is there a reason for this? I think that my second pump wasn't running before I changed to the new compressor. I didn't notice it right away.

I would assume that both volumes add up when the second pump is activated

Old 05-20-2024, 12:11 PM
Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

Bosch 040 and Walbro 255HP both seem to perform well as an alternative to the OEM (beware of fake Chinese copies), especially if you might need to run a higher fuel pressure to avoid lean condition at max load/revs, depending on Boost level and estimated power. (and no need to consider a Boost-a-pump add on if the OEM pumps are replaced).
Some old threads discussing flow rates pasted below:https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ow-rate-69539/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...anyone-135084/

Old 05-20-2024, 12:50 PM

I knew the two threads, thank you again for the confirmation. I'm going to buy 2 pieces of Bosch 040 and install them - oh man, I hope it ends well soon ;-))))

Old 05-20-2024, 02:29 PM

OKAY.die Bosch 040 Pumpe ist nicht mehr lieferbar.Gibt es vielleicht eine Artikelnummer für die Walbro-Alternative?Leider kann ich die hier erwähnte Ford GT Pumpe in Deutschland nicht finden

OKAY.The Bosch 040 pump is no longer available.Is there perhaps an article number for the Walbro alternative?Unfortunately I cannot find the Ford GT pump mentioned here in Germany

Last edited by sklimii; 05-30-2024 at 05:14 PM. Reason: added Enlish text
Old 05-30-2024, 03:27 PM

Hallo und guten Abend,

Ich habe in der Zwischenzeit ein wenig am Auto arbeiten können. Der Tank wurde entfernt und ich warte auf die Kraftstoffpumpen.
Ich habe 2 Pumpen mit 165L bei 43psi gekauft, was etwa 20% mehr ist als die Originalpumpen. Ich habe die großen Walbro-Pumpen nicht verwendet, da mir der Kraftstoffkreislauf zu groß erscheint und ich den Druckregler noch nicht austauschen möchte.

Den großen Luftfilter habe ich jetzt auch im vorderen Kotflügel verbaut. Die Innenverkleidung ist einfach zu montieren und kann mit etwas Wärme perfekt an das Rohr angepasst werden. Leider schleift das Vorderrad, wenn die Lenkung vollständig gedreht ist. Wie haben Sie das gelöst? Oder fahren Sie ohne die Innenverkleidung, was ich nach Möglichkeit vermeiden möchte.

Hello and good evening,

I have been able to do a little work on the car in the meantime. The tank has been removed and I am waiting for the fuel pumps.
I bought 2 pumps of 165L at 43psi, which is about 20% more than the original pumps. I have not used the large Walbro pumps because the fuel circuit seems too large to me and I do not want to replace the pressure regulator yet.

I have now also installed the large air filter in the front fender. The inner panel is easy to install and can be perfectly adjusted to the pipe with a little heat. Unfortunately the front wheel drags when the steering is fully turned. How did you solve this? Or do you drive without the inner panel, which I would like to avoid if possible.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Dirk

Last edited by sklimii; 05-30-2024 at 05:15 PM. Reason: converted to English
Old 05-30-2024, 04:42 PM

Hi Dirk. Following every step with great interest. My K+N filter is as far as possible forward into the wing. The tube is a straight piece from the filter back to the next joiner, the MAF. The forward end of the filter touches the inner bumper and it is very close to the wheel arch panel at the back. I feel that wheel inner panel is very critical for helping keeping the filter clean. It is a close fiddle. Very best of luck.

Old 05-30-2024, 11:49 PM

Guten Morgen Colin,dein

Bild bringt Licht ins Dunkel ;-) Vielen Dank! Wie auf dem letzten Bild ist das natürlich kein Problem. Ich habe meine Arbeit an Ihrem ersten Bild angelehnt und mit der Gummihülle eine runde Öffnung geschaffen.
Dann mache ich das Loch oval und lasse einen Teil der Kontur des Bogens darin verschwinden.
Ich möchte auf jeden Fall das ursprüngliche Design des Luftfilterkastens beibehalten, damit Sie beim Öffnen der Motorhaube nicht sehen können, dass sich der Filter im Radkasten befindet.

Leider haben meine Reifen auch einen etwas größeren Durchmesser als das Original, da ich die harten, platten Niederquerschnittsreifen nicht verwenden möchte. Dadurch verringert sich der Abstand zur Verkleidung noch weiter.

Viele Grüße, Dirk

Old 05-31-2024, 05:40 AM

Hey Dirk. Here is a photo of my MAF looking straight down to the intake. It's a bit of fiddling to get the huge K+N in place but it works really well. My plan was to have a false air box sat on top of the intake pipe to make it look as original as possible but I never got around to it and the local technicians who check the car every two years to make sure its road legal, haven't noticed.
I also have the largest wheels Jaguar make, The 20" Vortex, with lowered suspension and the tires don't rub on the liners, it's tight, so best of luck.

Old 05-31-2024, 01:26 PM

Hello, I have now changed the way the air filter is installed - it now fits without rubbing against the tire.
I also received and installed the two fuel pumps today. The test drive just now was a bit of an adventure.

The boost pressure at full throttle is now 15.5-16 psi measured on the V8 cover. The test drive was quite short, the sudden shutdown has now moved to 6000 rpm. But unfortunately it is still there. The idle is now very bad. It doesn't go above 400-500 rpm and after warming up the engine turns off every time I stop.

I urgently need to familiarize myself with the LOG function of the IDS, I hope I can find instructions somewhere.

The following users liked this post:
Capt'n Col (06-01-2024)
Old 06-02-2024, 11:02 AM

Hallo, ich hatte den ganzen Samstag Zeit, um nach den Fehlern zu suchen. Jetzt kenne ich meinen Feind ;-)

Ich hätte nie geglaubt, dass es sich um falsche Luft handelt! Ich habe einen Rauchtester, aber er zeigte keine Ergebnisse, also habe ich mich nie wieder damit beschäftigt. Falsch gedacht! Da der Leerlauf wirklich eine Katastrophe ist und jeder Stopp an einer Ampel zum Absterben des Motors führte, habe ich gestern Bremsenreiniger verwendet - der Leerlauf war perfekt. Meine Adapterplatte vom Kompressor zum Auslassdeckel hatte ich mit einem druckfesten, nicht aushärtenden Dichtstoff von REANZ gefertigt, da die Einbauhöhe zu den Ladeluftkühleranschlüssen das größte Problem beim Umrüsten auf die Kenne Bell war. Das funktionierte nicht wie erwartet. Ich habe eine 2mm Dichtung geschnitten und auf eine Seite geklebt, damit die Flanken nicht herausrutschen. Es ist jetzt versiegelt. Leider sind beide Dichtungen zwischen Ladeluftkühler und Kompressorauslass undicht. Die Konstruktion des Ladeluftkühlers und der Klemmringe lässt nur eine begrenzte Klemmkraft zu, so dass ich die Dichtung auch nach dem Anziehen der Schrauben mit etwas Kraft bewegen kann. Die Dichtungen sind nicht neu, aber immer noch recht weich. Jetzt würde mich ein paar Ratschläge interessieren: Soll ich neue kaufen? Lohnt es sich? Oder soll ich etwas Material von den Klemmanschlägen entfernen? Dieses Problem wurde in der Forensuche schon oft beschrieben, aber mein Druck und auch das Vakuum sind jetzt viel höher als beim Eaton.

Vielen Dank für deine Gedanken und einen schönen Abend, Dirk

Old 06-14-2024, 10:24 AM

Hallo und habt ein schönes Wochenende allerseits.
Leider musste ich alle meine Modifikationen auf Tag 1 zurückbauen, um alle Lecks zu beseitigen ;-((( Heute konnte ich endlich eine Probefahrt machen. Sobald ich die Zündung einschaltete, wusste ich, dass diesmal alles in Ordnung war ;-)
Der Leerlauf regelt perfekt und der Motor läuft einwandfrei ohne zu ruckeln. Die Probefahrt war auch super. Das Drehmoment ist enorm und nachdem alles abgedichtet ist, hat sich der Geräuschpegel sicherlich halbiert. Aber es ist immer noch (angenehm) laut.
Da ich die Aufnahmefunktion des IDS mit dem VCM nicht verstanden habe, musste ich mit einem OBDlink messen, was gut funktionierte. STFT Bank 1 und 2 haben nur geringe Abweichungen voneinander, aber im Schubbetrieb gehen sie bis zu +25%.
Mit einer Beschleunigung um +3 - +12%
LTFT Bank 1 und 2 haben ebenfalls fast keine Abweichungen voneinander und liegen in der Regel zwischen 0 - +5%

Die Luftmasse liegt bei ca. 5200 U/min bei ca. 380-385 g/s, dann schaltet sich der Motor plötzlich ab.
Der Unterdruck auf der V8-Abdeckung des Kompressors beträgt beim Ausrollen fast -20 psi. Ist das in Ordnung? Beim Beschleunigen mit voller Geschwindigkeit sind es knapp +19psi. Es ist relativ schwierig, beim Fahren alles im Blick zu behalten, die Straße, das Manometer und das Smartphone. Gibt es noch etwas, das ich vorher PRüfen sollte, oder ist der MAF, wie mir mehrfach gesagt wurde, derzeit das schwächste Glied in der Kette?

Leute, ich bin dankbar für jeden Tipp. Leider bin ich, wie man leicht erkennen kann, kein Experte und habe in meinem Leben nichts anderes mit Autos oder Motoren zu tun. Aber heute bin ich stolz darauf, dass der Motor so läuft wie heute --- es waren viele, viele, viele Stunden Arbeit. Herzliche Grüße, Dirk

Quick Reply: XKR 2001 Kenne Bell 2.1 completed but a few questions