XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

XKR 2001 Kenne Bell 2.1 completed but a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2024, 03:01 AM
Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

I don't see anything wrong with the readings you have measured, although it is difficult to be absolutely certain.
The engine suddenly shutting down at this specific rpm could be that the ECU is detecting some condition that is outside of the expected and safe operating conditions.
If the MAF sensor was reaching a maximum value and not increasing, then the actual flow will be higher than the ECU is measuring and this would likely result in a lean condition, which is of course very dangerous for the engine.
I'm guessing this should be detected by the knock sensors, and perhaps also by the upstream wide band oxygen sensors, and hopefully result in the ECU taking corrective measures to protect the engine (retard ignition, shut off fuel as fail safe, etc.)
But there are other factors that could result in the same lean condition or other bad condition, like low fuel pressure/insufficient fuel flow, or excessively hot air intake temperature, etc.

One idea might be to measure the performance of the MAF sensor only, by removing it from the car (or buying a spare of the same type) and measuring it on some home made test equipment The idea would be to see if the output voltage continues to rise with increasing flow, or if it stops increasing after a certain level of flow, such as the output voltage never increasing above approximately 4 Volts.

Old 06-16-2024, 12:22 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hallo, ich werde zuerst die Spannung des MAF während der Fahrt messen. Ich wohne direkt an einer sehr ruhigen Autobahn und kann dort bei jeder Geschwindigkeit testen.
Die Ansaugtemperatur sollte an den Ladeluftkühlern eigentlich in Ordnung sein, die Abschaltung erfolgt sofort nach dem ersten Versuch nach dem Aufwärmen. Die Ladeluftkühler sind nicht sehr heiß.
ch habe den Kraftstoffdruck während der Fahrt noch nicht überprüft. Ich bin mir jetzt sicher, dass die 2. Kraftstoffpumpe funktioniert, aber ich habe nicht gemessen, ob sie während der Fahrt eingeschaltet ist. Ich werde eine Kabelverbindung im Innenraum verlegen und während der Fahrt die Spannung messen.
Vielen Dank für den Input! Ich hoffe sehr, dass es letztendlich nicht am Pro-M MAF scheitert, da dieses wohl nicht mehr mit der Kalibrierung für den AJ27 verkauft wird.

Old 06-22-2024, 12:58 PM

Hi folks, another little update: after many short test drives with the same problems (jerking idle after 20km, shutdown at 5000 rpm +) the car now runs perfectly.

I unscrewed everything again, cleaned and dismantled it and experimented with new seals......I can now remove the throttle valve in 10 minutes, for the compressor it takes maybe 45 minutes ;-( In the end there are many small leaks on the compressor adapter plate, on the throttle valve seal and on the two seals on the intercooler. As of today: everything is now sealed and above all it runs up to the factory rev limiter without switching off first!!!!!

The 2nd fuel pump works and is switched on at 3300 rpm. To measure the voltage on the MAF I built test probes which I can push into the plug from behind. Unfortunately my multimeter is very slow, I will have to buy another one. The outlet temperature on the compressor cover is around 88°C, on the water side of the intercooler outlet it is around 52°C. Is that OK?
Best wishes and a good start to the weekend, Dirk

The following users liked this post:
User 42324 (06-26-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 03:36 AM
Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts

Fantastic new and congratulation. Persistence, persistence, persistence!! Please, once happy, share with us your driving impressions??

Old 06-23-2024, 10:41 AM

Hallo, ja, ich bin im Moment sehr glücklich. Auch ohne noch einen Testlauf gemacht zu haben. Ich werde dies in Kürze tun, um auf dem Papier zu sehen, ob sich der hohe Zeitaufwand in messbarer Leistung niedergeschlagen hat.

Heute bin ich mit dem Auto auf der Autobahn eine Stunde lang komplett ans Limit gefahren. Meine subjektiven Eindrücke: - die Gasannahme ist viel direkter und viel schneller - die Beschleunigung zwischen 200-250 km/h hat sich deutlich erhöht - der Leistungsverlust bei hohen Außentemperaturen hat abgenommen - das Geräusch allein ist gut für mindestens 50PS ;-)))) Nach extremer Fahrweise habe ich 117°C an der Oberseite des V8 gemessen, 72°C am Ladeluftkühler finde ich das zu hoch?! Gibt es hier Vergleichswerte?

Ich glaube, ich habe einen Riemenschlupf, weil ich nur einen 6-Rippen-Riemen verwende. Ich werde den Gürtel 5-8mm kürzer kaufen. Mein Fazit: Ich hatte vorher eine große untere Riemenscheibe und über 6%--- die kleinste Doppelschraube schlägt diese um ein Vielfaches.

Und hey, wenn es um Kosten geht, werden hier nie Zahlen genannt. Da ich für den Umbau nichts von dem originalen Teril aus meinem Auto zerstört oder zerschnitten habe, habe ich es gebraucht in Großbritannien gekauft. Man muss es nicht tun, aber ich wollte nichts riskieren.

Kenne Bell 2.1 inkl. Schnauze, Riemenscheibe und Versand € 1375,-
Kenne Bell Riemenscheibenadapter + 75mm Riemenscheibe 4-Loch € 300,-
Aluplatten und -profile € 100,-
Schrauben + Dichtungen € 50,-
Bedruckte Bypass-Anschlüsse € 75,- Sonstige Kleinteile € 25,-
__________________________________________________ ___________
Gesamtkompressor unter € 2000,-

Benötigte Gebrauchtteile: Bypassventil mit Stellantrieb Saugrohr nach der Drosselklappe 2 Kompressor-Saugrohre Das Ganze kostet in der EU inklusive Fracht und Zoll rund 350 €

Chirpy (06-24-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 03:17 PM
Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey, thank you for your driving impressions. That sounds about right for the high speed performance and for the engine operating temperatures. I bough multiple belts for the two options that I have. My lower pullet is 6.3" and I have a 3.25" upper pulley and a 3" with different size belts to fit. I also have a quick change tool kit in the car to change over to the different setups, It takes 3-4 minutes. The supercharger howl is very addictive. congratulations on the cost of the conversion. The one thing not costed out is your time, patience and skill. Not many people could complete your project. Enjoy.

Old 06-24-2024, 10:34 AM

Excellent engineering - congratulations on completing a very challenging project!
(now you can start planning the larger intake and MAF, Water/Meth injection, limited slip differential, improved intercooler, usw.. :-) )

Old 06-25-2024, 01:37 PM

Hallo und guten Abend, das nächste, was ich morgen tun werde, ist die Installation eines Breitbandsensors. Ich mache mir große Sorgen, dass ich den Motor durchbrennen werde. Ich habe eine 180mm untere Riemenscheibe und eine 75mm obere Riemenscheibe, was gut 15.000 U/min des Kompressors entspricht. Der Einlass hat durchgehend 89mm Innendurchmesser - leider bis auf das MAF und die Drosselklappe. Niemand bohrt hier in Deutschland die Drosselklappe auf und das große MAF mit dem AJ27-Tuning wird es wohl nicht geben. Es ist eine Schande, aber es kann nicht geändert werden.

Old 06-26-2024, 02:31 PM

Heute habe ich den Breitbandsensor erhalten. Ich habe einen Flansch für den Anschluss an der Stelle des AGR-Ventils geschweißt.
Ich weiß, dass 1 Sensor pro Bank besser wäre, aber der Schweißaufwand vor dem Katalysator ist sehr hoch. Ich denke, ein Sensor reicht für einen groben Überblick. Ich habe das Ventil bereits blind montiert.

Das AFR/Lambda-Display möchte ich nicht dauerhaft verwenden, da es sehr hässlich ist und nicht in den Innenraum passt. Aber nach einer kurzen Probefahrt kann ich aufatmen, kein Magerlauf!!

Kalt im Leerlauf: 15,2-15,5
Warmlauf im Leerlauf: 14,5-14,7
3000 U/min: 14,5-14,7
Wot: 9,8 Ich denke, das ist sehr reichhaltig - gibt es eine Meinung dazu???

Ich werde auf jeden Fall versuchen, morgen einen Termin für einen Prüfstandslauf in der Nachbarstadt zu vereinbaren. Ich bin sehr gespannt, wie das Ganze in Zahlen aussieht.

Old 06-27-2024, 03:45 PM

An Air fuel ratio of 9.8 is a little rich from what I have read, although it seems a ratio of 10.5 - 12 is typically recommended at WOT to provide cooling of the hot intake mixture due to the supercharger, as well as to provide good power at high boost and some safety factor against engine knock.
I don't have any measurements at the moment that I could provide for a comparison.

Old 07-06-2024, 05:55 AM

Hello, there is some news.
I have finally found the cause of the sudden shutdown under full load at 5000 rpm!!!! It happened every now and then at first, then with complete emergency running and the code P1121.

A complete cleaning of the connectors etc. was unsuccessful. When reading the throttle valve motor path via OBD while stationary, everything also broke down every 6th or 7th time the accelerator pedal was fully pressed.
I have already looked for a new throttle valve ;-(

In the end it was just 2 turns of the small black plastic square on the throttle cable on the throttle valve. Since I unhooked the cable at least 50 times, it had become misaligned. 2 turns towards the windshield and the car pulls perfectly right up to the rev limiter!

User 42324 (07-06-2024)