XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XKR 2005 Sports Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 10:13 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default XKR 2005 Sports Exhaust

I am new member and looking for advice on a spots exhaust or modification that will moderately increase the exhaust sound. Any advice will be appreciated. Specifically, any experience with sports systems or an axel back elimination of the two mufflers using a straight through modification.

Old 02-06-2020, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,418 Likes on 755 Posts
Default Lots of options here on this forum

Hi and welcome to the club of exhaust mod enthusiasts.

Here’s a link to what I did. DCR has a number of options, and my thread has a link to his website.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...xhaust-222769/

deuce2000 had a different take and in my thread he gave a link to his modified X type centre muffler.

Lots of inexpensive possibilities too with just removing mufflers and welding straight through pipes.

Your MPG may take a hit with an exhaust mod, but I doubt many of us worry about fuel efficiency if we own a X100.

The following 3 users liked this post by DavidYau:
mchiti1 (07-14-2021), ozbot (02-06-2020), User 070620 (03-09-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 654 Posts

Gerald,

I have a 2005 XKR and I messed around with exhaust systems and spent lots of money "Up Grading" the exhaust system...Finally, I removed the Center Muffler and replaced it with a Magnaflow Double-Muffler (2 -21/2") inlets and (2-21/2" ) outlets (Oval)...then remove the small Silencers...The rest is OK! Unless you want a loader sound...if so, get a couple 2 Chambered or 3 Chambered Mufflers like Dynamax or Flo-master. Be sure to keep your Double Tips as they make the Car....! just used 21/2" Standard Muffler Pipe, as no one is going to get under the Car to look anyway! Save all that Stainless Steel Money!!!
Billy Clyde in Houston

The following users liked this post:
Deabs (01-30-2022)
Old 02-07-2020, 12:25 PM
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes there are lots of options as the stock exhaust is very quite. Here is my experience;

I replaced the whole system with a Milltex 2.25" which only has the silencers at the rear (straight ones I assume). The car sound greats on start up with a lovely V8 burble, and roars magnificently under hard acceleration, Everyone (outside the car) remarks on how good it sounds, but whilst cruising it is a bit too noisy for what is supposed to be a GT car. So now the novelty is over I would like to quieten things down a bit by replacing the crossover pipe with a centre silencer, or if it is cheaper just add another 2 silences after the crossover.

With hindsight I could of tried just removing the rear silencers or the silences by the axle as the 20yr exhaust was in surprising good condition. Or I could of made the effort to find someone who could make a system with flanges and with the patience to let me try a few options.

Old 02-08-2020, 12:06 PM

X Thank you gentlemen for sharing your experiences and advise. As it turn out this I just received notice this morning that the axel back (elimination of the rear mufflers system
had been shipped. My ordering of this from XKs Unlimited had been "back ordered"
for months because of the unavailability of the "mounting brackets." I had almost given up and was therefore looking for other ideas. Hopefully when installed I will be satisfied with the sound of the modification.
Gerald

Old 02-09-2020, 02:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

The first thing I did was remove my rear silencers. Car wasn’t noticeably loud. Maybe a tad. Second thing I did was remove the two small secondary resonators and larger center resonator and installed a dynomax ultraflow x muffler. It’s pretty loud now. Doesn’t sound bad but louder than I’d likely want. A more restrictive resonator would likely be a bit quieter.

My take. The rear mufflers probably aren’t all that restrictive. Cheap to remove but I’d leave them. Replace the center resonator with a high flow one such as the dynomax ultraflow and ditch the two small resonators. I’m thinking I may just add two rear mufflers to quiet it down a bit

Old 02-09-2020, 02:46 AM
Veteran Member

Also the pipe that goes over the rear carriage assembly is ridiculously crooked and likely the most restrictive part of the exhaust. No exhaust guy here would touch it and from what I understand a under carriage exhaust takes care of it however not sure how groins clearance is with that. Just thought I’d mention.

Old 02-09-2020, 01:02 PM

Thank you for your advice. I committed to a replacement set for the rear mufflers, but after a very
long "back order" on the mounts had given up. But, yesterday I received a message the replacement and mounts were being shipped.
Never did hear an audio of how this is going to sound, but I am hoping it will be okay.
Gerald

Timeisrelative (02-10-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Gerald Clark
Thank you for your advice. I committed to a replacement set for the rear mufflers, but after a very
long "back order" on the mounts had given up. But, yesterday I received a message the replacement and mounts were being shipped.
Never did hear an audio of how this is going to sound, but I am hoping it will be okay.
Gerald
The rear muffler delete is very mild. You have two cats and three resonators left! If you want just a little bit of sound and not to much its the cheapest alternative. Plus the aftermarket tips look better.

Old 02-10-2020, 05:17 PM

Your kind words are encouraging. Thank you for sharing.
Gerald

Old 02-14-2020, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member

Your kind words are encouraging. Thank you for sharing.
Gerald
Just for reference I had bought the Mina gallery muffler delete kit and this is what it looks like from behind. Maybe not to clear? Only photo I had on here

Old 02-14-2020, 04:41 PM

Thank you for sending the photo.of your car. Looks good!
The tips I acquired from XKs are similar is size, it appears, but a little more oval in shape. The modification will be installed next Tuesday,
Gerald

Old 03-03-2020, 05:18 PM

The replacement system for the rear two mufflers was received and installed. The hardware for the mounts was not correct for my 2005 XKR so my mechanic formed and welded on two that would fit. Total installation cost was $275. The additional sound is ideal for my tastes. Fun, but, not too loud.
Thank you to all for your assistance.
Gerald

The following 2 users liked this post by Gerald Clark:
DavidYau (03-03-2020), dfbender (07-07-2021)
Old 08-14-2020, 11:33 PM
Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

I've been mixing and matching a few different combos of resonator deletes on my 2001 XKR, and have observed the following:
-The rearmost resonators do the most to cut out that deep drone between 1500-2500 RPM when you're just cruising along; replacing those with straight pipes does make it louder, but unless you make an effort with the J-gate to stay out of that droning rev range, it's really annoying.
-Replacing only the big forward resonator with an X-pipe makes somewhat louder but still sounds a bit muffled, and it does sound a bit like some sporty V6 cars, though less annoying. Personally I find it to be just an okay compromise.
-IMO the best sound you can get from selectively deleting the stock components comes from replacing the big forward resonator with an X-pipe and replacing the small resonators in front of the axles with straight pipes, leaving just the rear boxes. When you rev or push it, it roars and crackles in a way that comes close to a V8 F-Type, but there's none of the annoying frequencies you get at cruising speed or part throttle from deleting the rear boxes.

One thing I found interesting is that, in the XKR at least, the two small middle resonators are just that, straight-through resonators, just like the big one in front of them and also the two at the very back, rather than mufflers with any packing. It seems that the XKR's entire stock exhaust is made of up five resonators rather than mufflers, and that's probably why replacing them with straight pipes does nearly nothing for performance.

Deabs (01-30-2022)
Old 07-07-2021, 12:35 AM
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

I am new member and looking for advice on a spots exhaust or modification that will moderately increase the exhaust sound. Any advice will be appreciated. Specifically, any experience with sports systems or an axel back elimination of the two mufflers using a straight through modification.
…200 cel cats…full mid pipe delete with stock mufflers. Zero drone fuse 19 pulled.

Old 07-07-2021, 12:36 AM
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
Default 200 cel cats. Mid delete. Stick muffle. No crossover

…200 cel cats…full mid pipe delete with stock mufflers. Zero drone fuse 19 pulled.

Last edited by bfarrell; 07-07-2021 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Delete
Old 07-07-2021, 01:00 AM
Received 57 Likes on 25 Posts

Mine has the Arden system which was fitted by Racing Green Cars long before I owned the car. The general opinion is that the tone is exactly as it should be, not too loud but just enough of the V8 growl and burble to suit the car, I also don't get any drone inside the cabin. The arrangement is the same as the standard system but the pipe is a bigger bore without any flat spots and the mufflers must be different internally, all stainless steel. Also, with the tail pipe ends being welded to the tail pipes in one piece, rather than a bolted on generic part, they are designed to fit the shape of the car body perfectly.

Old 07-13-2021, 08:09 AM
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bfarrell
Fuse 19??

Old 07-13-2021, 11:40 AM
Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

Fuse 19 doesn't apply to this generation of XKR. That's only for the aluminum-bodied ones from 2007 and later.