XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

XKR Blown Head Gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 10:49 PM
Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts
Red face XKR Blown Head Gasket?

First of all, thanks for the welcome to this forum, my friends call me BK, and I am so looking forward to meeting many of you, but as luck would have it, I seem to have had a "situation" develop. I have now owned my 2000 XKR since Dec 2011, and have noticed an "odor" upon aggressive acceleration since buying my car.

I have had to add coolant, although only a few ounces, several times in the past several months, as I would get a low coolant message.
Last Sunday, changed the plugs, cleaned the air filter, and went for a short test drive.
Later that evening, as I tried to start my baby, the starter would engage, then kick out, engine refusing to turn over.
After several minutes left to sit, she started, all sounded well and good, but as I looked in the rearview, I noticed white vapor beginning to pour from the right tailpipe!

My heart sank, the inability to start seemed to be hydrolock! I turned her off and began the checks.
The coolant tank was now near empty.
The old plugs all looked good when originally removed, no sign of anything foul.

To simplify the saga, I isolated the right (passenger) side intercooler and started her again.
And to my dismay, again lots of coolant vapor from exhaust, after inspection, 3rd plug on right cylinder bank is spanking clean!!

So, now I embark on a new adventure, head gasket R&R.
So, now is the opportunity to ask you seniors for advice. (I hate to be so new and sound so needy), but here goes, what is the best source for technical manuals, JTIS, or are there others more informative?

I also see gasket kits run the gamit in price, any suggestions on which is best? I am fortunate to be in close driving distance to Coventry West in Lithonia Ga., as they have been very helpful when "things" have been needed.
Nothing like jumping in with both feet, but I am well up to the challenge. I appreciate any suggestions you all may have. "Dismayed, but not beaten."
Thanks to all,
BK
2000 XKR converible

Last edited by steveinfrance; 11-27-2012 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Line breaks !!
Old 11-27-2012, 12:31 AM
Received 112 Likes on 56 Posts

I would do a compression test before digging into it. It could be a combination of factors at play. These cars are notorious for coolant leaks - the coolant overflow tank and lines in that area are good places to start to hunt down big leaks .

I've replaced my coolant reservoir and some of the lines and still have slight leaks so need to top up my coolant every so often. I've just gotten used to the smell of coolant on my XKR

Old 11-27-2012, 02:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

I must admit it does sound like a blown gasket.... my first port of call would be a block test, if that turns up yellow then you will need to do the heads....

Fit 4.2 gaskets, much better than the normal composite 4.0 as the 4.2s are pressed steel, I have done many 4.0 heads but never a 4.2 if that tells you anything, it will higher the compression very slightly but nothing to worry about..

If you decide to do a full head rebuild (personally that would be a no brainer for me) check out blueragtops thread, you will find that very informative, I am sure someone will know where it is and post it up for you

The following users liked this post:
plums (11-28-2012)
Old 11-27-2012, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 761 Posts

Ditto on the gaskets, don't use the composite ones.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

It could be the headgasket, the only other way for coolant to get into the cylinder is for the intercooler to leak, but this would probably get into all cylinders on that bank. It sounds like yours is isolated to the cylinder with the clean plug. Not unheard of, more likely in supercharged models due to the more aggressive driving with those cars. I know I work mine harder than I do my NA XJ8. So many Japasneeze cars to humiliate!

Old 11-27-2012, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

BK, never be embarrassed to ask for help, that's what the Forum's for.
I've put some line breaks in your post to make it more readable.
JTIS is actually very good, if somewhat idiosyncratic.
Steve (WhiteXKR) is usually right, I'm afraid. His 'block test' is some magic paper you can get in the US but not in Europe - you dip it in the coolant to test for combustion products.

Take his advice re 4.2 gaskets if you have to do the job.

Keep us informed.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:34 PM
Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

Thanks to all, the block test seems totally reasonable, where might I acquire the paper needed for that test. Really appreciate the advice on the 4.2 head gaskets, as I will be looking for future performance upgrades. Also I agree head service is a no brainer.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by steveinfrance
Steve (WhiteXKR) is usually right, I'm afraid. His 'block test' is some magic paper you can get in the US but not in Europe - you dip it in the coolant to test for combustion products.

Take his advice re 4.2 gaskets if you have to do the job.

Keep us informed.
Wow... WhiteXKR must have a stealth mode button as I don't see his post on this thread

Old 11-28-2012, 02:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by XKRacer
Wow... WhiteXKR must have a stealth mode button as I don't see his post on this thread
My apologies, that's what you get for having half a dozen windows open at the same time.
Of course you're also usually right, specially about remembering your name (something I'm occasionally challenged by)

Queen to resident of Old Folks Home
'Do you know who I am ?'
Resident 'No Dear, but if you ask the nice nurse she'll remind you'.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Originally Posted by XKRacer
XKRacer is usually right.