XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

XKR- change the supercharger oil or not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 09:42 PM
Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts
Default XKR- change the supercharger oil or not?

I know this will cause some debate after doing some thread searches...

but for those of you who have changed your supercharger oil...

did you notice any difference in performance? My cat runs nice, but I have been told to change the oil at 100,000 which I should hit by the end of the year...

Any mechanics on here chime in?

Thank you!

Old 04-25-2017, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

Do it. It's quick, cheap and easy.

A syringe, oil, a container to put the old oil in, some zip ties to hold intercooler hoses and crap out of the way, an Allen wrench and some paper towel. Maybe a half hour of time with screwing around and cleaning up and all.

​I bought this kit and then when I changed the oil on my other car just reused the syringe. I did local pickup though:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Two-GM-Supercharger-Oil-OEM-w-Syringe-4-ounce-Bottle-Eaton-Coupler-change-kit-/111358311078?nav=SEARCH

​​​​​

The following users liked this post:
prettybluefin (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

I changed mine last year, the car has 70K on it. The old oil was dirty but not black. It sure can't hurt but there is no performance change. The needle bearings in the rear of the rotors will not be changed by this so you are really only getting half of it. Half is better than nothing.

prettybluefin (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 10:32 AM
Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I was planning on doing it when my car hit 30K miles.. doesn't look *too* hard and I already bought the oil/syringe ect. .. sounds like a fun little project to do sometime. If you do it, share pictures I'm curious how it goes.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chidester
I was planning on doing it when my car hit 30K miles.. doesn't look *too* hard and I already bought the oil/syringe ect. .. sounds like a fun little project to do sometime. If you do it, share pictures I'm curious how it goes.
good to hear you still have the car

Matthew Chidester (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 04:17 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Went to the eBay site and it does not include the XKR on the list of compatible vehicles for this kit. If you query the site specifically, it says the XKR is not compatible. Two strikes! It's an Eaton supercharger, so I assume it really is compatible, but does anyone have another source to confirm it?

Lee...

Old 04-26-2017, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by slidefighter
Went to the eBay site and it does not include the XKR on the list of compatible vehicles for this kit. If you query the site specifically, it says the XKR is not compatible. Two strikes! It's an Eaton supercharger, so I assume it really is compatible, but does anyone have another source to confirm it?

Lee...
The XKR has an Eaton m112 SC. THE GM OIL should work.

slidefighter (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 654 Posts
Smile

Pretty Ms. Bluefin, I'm in my third XKR and I have been changing my Supercharger Oil every 20,000 miles with GM Supercharger Oil.....They have Eaton Superchargers also. I have never had a problem with Supercharger whine.... and Bluefin, your buddy in England that sells the clear marker lens, also sells a kit with everything you need to do the oil change, including the oil.....Look at his website.....but please, don't do it yourself, as you might get your hands dirty!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 04-27-2017, 07:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,548 Likes on 3,957 Posts

Anyone in UK, Car Mechanics May 2017 has rebuild, oil change etc for the Eaton M112.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

I did mine with the GM kit. The SC was noticeably quieter afterwards. Well, quieter at idle; still has that cool howling sound when I open her up. ;-)

prettybluefin (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by scardini1
I did mine with the GM kit. The SC was noticeably quieter afterwards. Well, quieter at idle; still has that cool howling sound when I open her up. ;-)
yes, when I start my car in the morning, (parked outside, cold start)
it is a little loud, but then is smooth after about 1 min...(maybe oil needs time to circulate?)

i use mobil-1 synthetic, and the dealer told me they recommend regular oil as it is thicker, and I will try that next oil change...(what do you use?)

I know the car is not brand new, but always looking for things to improve the engine.
and yes, nothing like the sound of the supercharger

Old 04-27-2017, 01:42 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by prettybluefin
it is a little loud, but then is smooth after about 1 min...(maybe oil needs time to circulate?)

i use mobil-1 synthetic, and the dealer told me they recommend regular oil as it is thicker, and I will try that next oil change...(what do you use?)

I know the car is not brand new, but always looking for things to improve the engine.
What oil to use and whether to swap between synth and regular can fill 100's of books. Personally, if you use Mobil1 with no oil leaks, stay with that.

As for the SC oil change, Jaguar's official stance appears to be its a sealed for life unit.

Best,
dsd

prettybluefin (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member

"Sealed for Life" just means that when it dies, it's "life" is over and it's been sealed "just" long enough. Then you can call your Jaguar ******* and cough-up the bucks for a NEW one. Don't fall for it. It's the same thing as saying that our hearts and brains are guaranteed for life. And yup - they'll last "exactly" that long. Both the transmission and the supercharger are mechanical devices no different from others. Some TLC is always appropriate.

The GM super charger oil apparently lasts a really long time though, and for whatever the reason, it's specifically intended for this purpose. So I'll stick with that.

Last edited by scardini1; 04-27-2017 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up

Bluefin, Do not stop using Mobil One.....If you feel the oil is not thick enough, then change to a higher viscosity...Example: If you use 5-30 switch to 10-40 but they all make a little noise until they drop from 1400 to 700 RPM's.....but what ever you do stick with Mobil One!!! Remember 40/10 in the summer and 30/5 in the winter.... Works every time!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 04-27-2017, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by bcprice36
Bluefin, Do not stop using Mobil One.....If you feel the oil is not thick enough, then change to a higher viscosity...Example: If you use 5-30 switch to 10-40 but they all make a little noise until they drop from 1400 to 700 RPM's.....but what ever you do stick with Mobil One!!! Remember 40/10 in the summer and 30/5 in the winter.... Works every time!

Billy Clyde in Houston

I was gonna try Castrol Edge Professional, but if you say stick with Mobil 1, I will take your advice...

How often do you change your oil? I do NOT do lots of stop and go commuting...but do go on long drives in the hills.... weather here in CA is nice and stable most of the time...

And a coolant question, I know we use the Dex-Coolant...I'm paranoid on the engine overheating since it gets so hot when you take it on a spirited run...Is the warning light good enough to predict when it needs to be topped off? Or should I check weekly...

thank you!!!

Old 04-27-2017, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Exclamation

I was gonna try Castrol Edge Professional, but if you say stick with Mobil 1, I will take your advice...

How often do you change your oil? I do NOT do lots of stop and go commuting...but do go on long drives in the hills.... weather here in CA is nice and stable most of the time...

And a coolant question, I know we use the Dex-Coolant...I'm paranoid on the engine overheating since it gets so hot when you take it on a spirited run...Is the warning light good enough to predict when it needs to be topped off? Or should I check weekly...

thank you!!!
Bluefin, I drive about 150 and sometimes 200 miles per week.....I check my Oil and Coolant every Saturday morning before start up and while it is warming up I fill my Windshield washer bottle with 50/50 Water/Methanol for the Water/Methanol Injector....Then once a month, I go over to Discount Tire and let the Guys check the Air in the Tires.....That's fun watching them learn how to use the BBS tools to check the Tire pressure in the Montreal's! I have to teach the new Guys how to install the Air Pressure Valve.....I change the oil every 4000 miles and change the Supercharger oil every 20,000 miles.
So far, I've not had any major Engine problems since I had to rebuild the Engine....The previous Owner had treated the Car very badly and had not changed the oil in over 40,000 miles! It was so full of gunk it was unbelievable.....Smoke....yes it did!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 09-22-2017, 03:46 PM
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I changed my S/C oil last night. The old stuff was brown (looked like dark maple syrup) and smelled almost burned. I used the kit from Powerhouse-UK.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-XJR.../151484239079?

It was pretty easy, but I couldn't get the little syringe tube deep enough into the hole to suck much of the fluid out. I only got about 20ml. I found another siphon tube from an old eyeglass cleaner spray bottle, and I jerry-rigged it into the original tube as a thinner extension (see pics). If I was going to do this permanently, I would have RTV's the smaller tube into the bigger one, but saran wrap and duct tape worked well enough. Once I used the smaller tube, I got almost 180 ml out. There was just barely enough fluid in the kit to refill it.

Old oil. New oil is clear.

Syringe with thinner tubing extension

Close up of thinner tube

Last edited by Silver_Fox; 09-22-2017 at 03:47 PM. Reason: wrong email link
prettybluefin (09-22-2017)
Old 09-23-2017, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member

I did the same extra small tube when I did my S/C. Works well. Does your S/C sound any different? Congrats on getting one more thing off the to-do list!

Old 09-23-2017, 09:25 AM
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I haven't started it yet. The weather has been crappy. I have a chirping belt, so not sure if I'll notice a noise difference. Hopefully just delaying entropy' victory for a few more years.

Old 09-23-2017, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member

I've replaced every pulley and belt except the idler pulley for the SC. I couldn't find one. If you do (and it doesn't cost $150) let me know.