XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

XKR as a Four Door?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 12:56 AM
Received 154 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag#4
Hate to step into the middle of a private conversation, but I have to defend the Milano (Alfa 75).

As a former owner I will agree that it wasn't the best looking car that ever came out of Italy, but it suffered only in comparison to Ferraris, Lambos and other Alfas. Compare it to the U.S. cars of the 1980's and it looks downright handsome.

However, double-clutching it into 3rd gear coming out of a tight corner made it into one beautiful car. And it had 4 doors.
Agreed- amidst the 80s, the Milano was a handsome stallion. Also, there are no ugly Alfas!

Matador? Oh dear. This thread has officially descended into a farce. Postcount +1.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:05 PM
Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts
Default 4 Door Jaguar XKR (slow day at work)

I started this about an hour ago. No competition-quality photoshopping intended, but it will do.

I'd drive it.

The rear door handles would be accessed after opening the front doors. The roof is bulged slightly upward to add some headroom for the rear passengers.

Attached Thumbnails XKR as a Four Door?-4doorxkr_zps8cab3e79.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Jeff in Tucson:
DevSpider (07-06-2013), enderle (07-06-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 12:44 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff in Tucson
I started this about an hour ago. No competition-quality photoshopping intended, but it will do.

I'd drive it.

The rear door handles would be accessed after opening the front doors. The roof is bulged slightly upward to add some headroom for the rear passengers.

That's a good looking car, and manages to keep the lines pretty much intact. Of course, photoshoping is the easy part, building one would be the test.

I was thinking another possibility would also to make it a three door, as we see some of, where the driver's side remains the same door wise with one of those small doors on the other side. After all, it is not like the rear doors are really going to get a lot of use on such a car.

I am trying to upload an image of a stock one with this one as a comparison. Hopefully it comes out.

I think that what helps is that these cars have a very sleek design to start with, so extending it a bit does not change the actual look very much.

Looks better than a Matador.

Attached Thumbnails XKR as a Four Door?-0301_jagxkr_01zoom-2003_jaguar_xk8-drivers_side_view.jpg  

Last edited by Kevin D; 07-05-2013 at 12:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
enderle (07-06-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 01:38 PM

Ok now we're getting somewhere. That looks good! Better than the Panamera for sure, and I think even the Rapide. I would be interested in seeing it stretched a tad further so it's closer to a Quattroporte, not a RX-8. Rear door handles would be cool. I'd keep the rear window at the B-pillar the same height and take it back a few 'inches' before it started getting familiarly swoopy. Good call on the 'headroom'.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

As long as it does not end up looking like this!

Attached Thumbnails XKR as a Four Door?-iagmotors.com-carpix-73jaguarxke2-2sil-ebay-73-jaguar-xke-2-2-sil-003.jpg  
Old 07-05-2013, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 689 Likes on 559 Posts

OK not an XK, but...

Hookers not included in price.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 403 Posts

But what really is the point of these 4-door coupes? At best they always look unwieldy, especially if they are proportioned so that the rear seats are actually usable. I have yet to see a 4-door couple look as nicely proportioned as a 2-door one.

Doug

Old 07-05-2013, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Jag#4,
I stand by my inclusion of the Milano as one of the ugliest designs of all time. It came from the factory looking as if it had already been rear ended with a beltline that abruptly changed directions (as if it had been hit from behind) from the rear quarter to the rear doors. Honda has done the same stupid thing with the current Odyssey mini van and that dumb looking curved window line (as well as the previous generation Accord). Alfas are a blast to drive, and many were and are beautiful to look at, the Milano was not one of the latter. (Even European carmakers can do some bonehead designs)

Old 07-05-2013, 10:16 PM
Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
But what really is the point of these 4-door coupes? At best they always look unwieldy, especially if they are proportioned so that the rear seats are actually usable. I have yet to see a 4-door couple look as nicely proportioned as a 2-door one.

Doug
"But what really is the point of these 4-door coupes?"
For the point, look at the first post of this thread. I think the 4 door is a more practical version of the 2 door. In the current version of the coupe, the rear seats are useless.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:22 PM

[QUOTE=Jeff in Tucson;766428]I started this about an hour ago. No competition-quality photoshopping intended, but it will do.

I'd drive it.

[/QUOTE

I think that's a great looking car - it still looks like a coupe, but can accomodate four people at least with same comfort as the not so pretty Panamera or out of this world expensive Rapide. Great job Jeff.
If you can stretch it just a bit more, it would be even better looking and more comfy to get in and out for the rear passengers.

Last edited by DevSpider; 07-05-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:22 PM
Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts

And of course a twin screw supercharger!

Old 07-05-2013, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by DaveC
And of course a twin screw supercharger!
Without a question

Old 07-06-2013, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by DevSpider
"But what really is the point of these 4-door coupes?"
For the point, look at the first post of this thread. I think the 4 door is a more practical version of the 2 door. In the current version of the coupe, the rear seats are useless.

Then go for a nice looking 2-door coupe with decent rear seat room. The Cadillac 2-door CTS comes to mind. It is just my opinion that coupes look more natural as 2-door while sedans look more natural as 4-door.

Doug

Old 07-06-2013, 12:41 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts
Default 2+2

Originally Posted by Kevin D
My step mother had a '69 2+2 and I thought it looked pregnant next to my coup or roadster. Not sure why they raised the roof so much. Yet it had a ton of headroom but what a way to destroy an otherwise good looking car. '69 was really when the DMV started working aggressively to make cars look ugly, the bumpers that came in the next few years and huge chrome grills finished their effort.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 515 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff in Tucson

I'd drive it.

Frankly, it has a lot of the new XJ in it to me. Black out the c pilar! You'll see it.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
Then go for a nice looking 2-door coupe with decent rear seat room. The Cadillac 2-door CTS comes to mind. It is just my opinion that coupes look more natural as 2-door while sedans look more natural as 4-door.

Doug
Blech, talk about cars that look like they've already been rear-ended! Those things look like hulking midgets with a stick up their you know what on wheels. I can't stand the high waist and butt of the CTS coupe.

The sedan, however, looks great.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:25 AM
Default Maserati GranTurismo - a true 2+2 coupe

Last night my wife and I met up in NYC with our friends, who had recently bought a brand spanking new and shiny Maserati GranTurismo in silver/red color combo. We all went for a ride ("all", meaning the four of us... As in 4 adults) and I must say - What a car!!!
It makes all the right sounds with the stock exhaust. It looks like a million bucks. It moves really swiftly and doesn't feel nervous on the rugged streets of New York City. All this while accommodating 4 people rather comfortably. The GT costs a whopping 135K before taxes (read "expensive"). I'm certain that any car on the road today does not justify such a hefty price tag, but if you have the $$$, you may as well treat yourself - hey, you only live once.
Having said that, I am still on my honeymoon with my XKR. While in the city, I saw at least 4 Maserati GTs and not one XKR coupe (XK100). While the Jaguar only seats 2 people comfortably, it still stirs the heart of a car enthusiast and that is what really matters.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin D
I suppose this people hauler is completely out of the question?

Attached Thumbnails XKR as a Four Door?-photo.jpg  
Old 08-24-2013, 09:44 PM

This thread continues to make good progress! :P

Needs beefier C and D pillars, but you're getting somewhere there... I like the rear door shape and placement.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

Not bad as a shooting brake...

Attached Thumbnails XKR as a Four Door?-xkr.jpg  

Quick Reply: XKR as a Four Door?