XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XKR hood liner rubs against engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 11:28 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good point on the kitty feet down and silver or red sounds good to me also. I'll be one of the charter members on that order.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 761 Posts

@XKRacer,

As mentioned please count me in as for the group order. I know also 2 others that like it, so in total I would like to have 3. It would be best if there could be a different shipment to belgium/The Netherlands.

Thanks for the efforts!

Old 10-22-2010, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Matt, if I recall, the decal doesn't come applied. That way you can place it where you see fit.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by avos
@XKRacer,

As mentioned please count me in as for the group order. I know also 2 others that like it, so in total I would like to have 3. It would be best if there could be a different shipment to belgium/The Netherlands.

Thanks for the efforts!
No worries I will amend accordingly

Originally Posted by K.Westra
Matt, if I recall, the decal doesn't come applied. That way you can place it where you see fit.
That makes sense

Old 10-22-2010, 12:14 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,150 Likes on 753 Posts

No need to worry about including me in 'your order' as long as he knows to +1 for me. When he gets your template, I'll contact him directly to make the purchase.

Other US members should do the same for simplicity, unless I missing something?

Old 10-22-2010, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,985 Likes on 2,124 Posts

Wow, I never expected such big response to this 'minor' issue when I made the OP, but it is clear than it has been a small irritant for quite a few of us.

Thank you all for chiming in, and especially to XKRacer for initiating what should be a 'better than OE' solution at a fairly reasonable price !

Old 10-23-2010, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by h20boy
No need to worry about including me in 'your order' as long as he knows to +1 for me. When he gets your template, I'll contact him directly to make the purchase.

Other US members should do the same for simplicity, unless I missing something?
That makes perfect sense to me

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Wow, I never expected such big response to this 'minor' issue when I made the OP, but it is clear than it has been a small irritant for quite a few of us.

Thank you all for chiming in, and especially to XKRacer for initiating what should be a 'better than OE' solution at a fairly reasonable price !
This has been a bugbear for me for ages it is good at least there is a viable option that has had good reviews.

Gonzo with any luck will have the template by the end of next week

Old 10-23-2010, 10:20 PM
Location: Westland, Michigan but I'm from central New Jersey!
Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Hi guys!

I've been a member here for only a little while, my dad owned a 2003 X-Type with the 3.0L in the "steel blue". Gorgeous car!

Matt - never tired of waiting sir! Just patient on my part! You were a tiny bit high on the price, it's $85 for the Jaguar liners at regular price, but $65 if you're a member of the Jag forums here, and one must indicate to me that they are members here.

<< Gonzo with any luck will have the template by the end of next week >>
Absolutely true, a gentleman in the Boston area has kindly sent me his original liner, I should have it Monday or Tuesday of the coming week.

Depending on size the price should stay the same, if it's a little larger or wider, it may go up to $75. The leaping cat with JAGUAR letters underneath are still $15 and Priority Mail shipping to the USA is $13, $23 to Canada, $34 to the UK, $36 to Australia. I do ship worldwide, the Netherlands should be around $35.

Remember that all the info regarding my 1/4 inch thick liners are found on my hoodliner page which can be easily seen at: www.hoodliners.net There are images there that enlarge when you click them and lots of text info (yeah, I wrote a lot!). But I wanted to ensure that car owners got a clear picture of what I'm offering. You can also read the actual e-mails I've received from very satisfied car owners, from Buick Grand Nationals, Corvettes, Mustangs, other Jag models, etc. Until I receive the XKR liner so that I can fabricate liners for them, here are the Jaguar models I can make right now:

1977 to 1996 Jaguar XJ-S V-6, V-12

1986 to 1994 Jaguar XJ-6, XJ-12 and Vanden Plas (larger liner)

2003 to 2007 Jaguar XJ-6, XJ-8 and Vanden Plas

2002 to 2008 Jaguar X-Type

2005 to 2008 Jaguar S-Type

I can provide liners for other Jaguar models not listed here, I only need an original liner to make a template from. For example I still don't have an S-Type liner for the years prior to 2005.

Thanks and I'll keep you updated!

Old 10-24-2010, 12:43 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,150 Likes on 753 Posts

Do the xkr vents alter the liner template? Is the 8 and R different? I've only seen mine...solid.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by h20boy
Do the xkr vents alter the liner template? Is the 8 and R different? I've only seen mine...solid.

The actual shape of the liner is the same the only difference being the XKR obviously has the hood vent holes cut into it.

There is a brace section on the XK8 bonnet which goes across where the vent holes would be on the XKR it is slightly lower down.

So you will have to let Gonzo know if you have an XKR or XK8

Old 10-24-2010, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi folks, My 97 XK8 has a couple spots of rubbing on the intake manifold as well. I thought about trying to adjust the front bonnet hinges up a bit to see if that mite help. Has anyone tried to do this?

Old 10-24-2010, 11:55 PM
Location: Marin County, CA, USA - Just north of San Francisco
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Gonzo - I am definitely interested too! 2002 XKR Convert with hood louvers - what do you need? DaleD

Old 10-28-2010, 08:12 PM

Hi DaleD and everyone!

Sorry for the delay! I did get an original liner from that gentleman in the Boston area, it has the 2 large oval openings for the supercharger and I understand his vehicle is a 2000 XKR supercharged. With that liner template, unless I'm mistaken, I can fabricate my aircraft firewall material hoodliners for the 2000 to 2002 XKR supercharged, and the 1998 to 2002 XKR non-supercharged. I got this info from www.car-part.com so please let me know if my years are off! If it covers more years please let me know!

I can of course provide the leaping cat decal with the lettering underneath as seen on my hoodiner page, plus a large "R". I have a couple of images here of the R logo since I can't pinpoint the exact font. I have reason to believe it's artwork instead of an actual typeface.

I can't do the multicolor unfortunately, no green or red striping, I can only do the R in one solid color. Silver is the most popular and it goes with every color.

To proceed simply e-mail me your PayPal e-mail address and I'll send an invoice your way. From that returned invoice I can print the Priority Mail shipping label back to you. I'm at tbirddmnd@att.net

Cost? Luckily the liner is not too large and the regular price is $85. HOWEVER, for members of the Jaguar community/forum right here the reduced price is $65 for the liner, $15 for each decal, (the cat with letters is one decal, the R is another decal), and Priority Mail shipping in the USA is $13, $23 to Canada, $36 to Australia, $35 to the UK and most of Europe, and for other parts of the world I'd need to check! I can fit 2 liners in a box, they come rolled, and an additional $6 US for shipping 2 liners. I cannot fit 3 liners in a box.

Remember that your hood MUST come off for correct installation using 3M #80 spray adhesive found only at the Home Depot (Lowes does NOT carry it). The gentleman in the Boston area indicated to me that he didn't want the small holes punched for the underhood clips. They're not really necessary as the 3M #80 spray adhesive does hold the liner in 100%. If owners would like me to make the small holes I can do so, but they need to remember that the clips alone will not be sufficient to hold the liner to the underhood - the 3M #80 spray IS necessary. Owners also need to indicate to me whether they'd like the oval openings for the supercharger cut out for them or not.

I'm ready to assist! Remember, for the $65 discount price they need to indicate to me that they are either forum members or members of the Enthusiasts Club. The regular price is $85.

Thanks again and I look forward to making my liners for the Jaguar XK8 and XKR community! Don't forget to visit my hoodliner page: www.hoodliners.net for images of other installations and for e-mail testimonials!

Old 10-29-2010, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Anyone interested in trunk liners? I'll just throw that out there since I know you can do them, Gonzalo. Mine is fine, but there may be interest there as well.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:12 AM

Ah yes, thanks, I can also do trunk lid liners. For those there are no templates so I would need to know the area you would like to cover in inches, width x height. I can then send a section of my liner material in those dimensions and you would then need to trim-to-fit using an X-Acto knife or a utility knife along with 3M #80 spray adhesive. A decal would look great back there too! I have done a few trunk lid liners for Mustangs, on my hoodliner page you can see a good example of a grey 2006 Mustang. I didn't provide that multi-color decal, he already had that - I can provide decals in one solid color.

Hey KWestra - my 97 Thunderbird Limited Edition "died" recently! I had a problem with leaking coolant and valve seal oil blow-by due to an improper intake manifold replacement installation. Another engine and it'll live again! I still visit the TCCOA.com forums since I still have my 97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC. Both have my hoodliner with decals! I can make a liner for your '87 Cougar as well as your Jag!

Old 10-29-2010, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Gonzo
From my parts catalog you should be good from the years 1997 to 2005 for both XK8 and XKR with that template. Also Jagula I think you wouldn't gain enough clearance without throwing your hood adjustment way out. I noticed that my liner has a slight sag to it and that may be the reason why it rubs. Probably after a few years of hanging the material just sags.
Doug
2001 XKR Silverstone

Last edited by RCSign; 10-29-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:24 PM

Thanks Doug, I really appreciate it! I could also do the other years for this and other models once I have a template.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,985 Likes on 2,124 Posts

Hi Gonzo-
Thanks for being so responsive on the XK8/XKR liner! Would it be possible to post a picture of your 'R' logo decal and also tell us it's size.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:35 PM

By all means, I tried doing this yesterday but I couldn't get the "paper clip" or the Manage Attachments to open for me.

I have 2 very close to the "R", the first one here is called "British Participants" (how fitting), and the 2nd is called "Peignot". Like I indicated I have reason to believe it's artwork and not a true font. If I could get a large jpeg of the actual R I could get it dead-on by Photoshopping it to a line drawing and then importing it into my software to make it into a vector graphic.

Thanks!!

ADDED: I can make these whatever size you'd like and in whatever solid color as well. Silver goes with everything, I also have red, white, blue, yellow, green, and gold. Seems like 12 inches tall fits great in the center section between the 2 large oval openings.

Attached Images   

Last edited by tbirddmnd; 10-29-2010 at 03:37 PM. Reason: ADDED
Old 10-29-2010, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Gonzo
I can send it to you in a vector graphic what format do you want? and Thanks for such a quick response to the forum.
Doug
2001 XKR Silverstone

Quick Reply: XKR hood liner rubs against engine