XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

XKR Performance - Subjective?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,686 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by enderle
When you aren't in sport it'll generally start in 2nd gear. This was obvious when my sport mode button was broken and it came off the line like a wounded Water Buffalo.
thanks for confirming what my seat of the pants dyno was telling me.

Z

Old 06-27-2018, 11:52 AM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a 2001 Jaguar XKR Coupe with 116k miles, if I put the car into sport mode, it takes off the line like a bullet. In regular mode, ie 2nd gear, the acceleration off the line is modest. However I also own a 2011 XF 5.0L without SC, it is much faster than the XKR probably due to the engine size difference 5.0L vs 4.0L. I agree with the other comments, drive the car hard to improve the overall performance.

Old 06-29-2018, 04:59 PM
Received 681 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by stremsjg
I have a 2001 Jaguar XKR Coupe with 116k miles, if I put the car into sport mode, it takes off the line like a bullet. In regular mode, ie 2nd gear, the acceleration off the line is modest. However I also own a 2011 XF 5.0L without SC, it is much faster than the XKR probably due to the engine size difference 5.0L vs 4.0L. I agree with the other comments, drive the car hard to improve the overall performance.
OK looked up the 0-60 times because this didn't make sense. And XF has a 0-60 of between 5-6 seconds (the times are all over the map). The XKR typically between 4.8 and 5.2 (much more tightly grouped suggesting some XF folks may not realise they have a supercharger, I say that because the supercharged XF is around 5 seconds). So the XKR should generally be quicker than an XF and more in line with the supercharged XF. https://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicl...-60-mph-times/

Old 06-29-2018, 05:21 PM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

OK looked up the 0-60 times because this didn't make sense. And XF has a 0-60 of between 5-6 seconds (the times are all over the map). The XKR typically between 4.8 and 5.2 (much more tightly grouped suggesting some XF folks may not realise they have a supercharger, I say that because the supercharged XF is around 5 seconds). So the XKR should generally be quicker than an XF and more in line with the supercharged XF. https://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicl...-60-mph-times/
Do you know what the settings of the measurement were?
a) "D" Position without Sport Mode engaged
b) "D" Position with Sport Mode engaged"
c) "Manual Shift" (2-3-4) without Sport Mode engaged
d) "Manual Shift" (2-3-4) with Sport Mode engaged

I assume itīs d) but maybe not.

Old 06-29-2018, 05:53 PM

No way to tell but these are track times so the drivers are going for as quick as they can get it.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,686 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by Berglmir
Do you know what the settings of the measurement were?
a) "D" Position without Sport Mode engaged
b) "D" Position with Sport Mode engaged"
c) "Manual Shift" (2-3-4) without Sport Mode engaged
d) "Manual Shift" (2-3-4) with Sport Mode engaged

I assume itīs d) but maybe not.
I think the fastest times will be "B"

99.99% of all drivers will never shift as fast as the automatic transmission in the "D" position.

Z

Old 06-30-2018, 11:25 AM

Update:

a) Removed my MAF Sensor today - it looked pretty good already, but I still gave it a proper clean with a MAF Cleaner.

b) Checked my Throttle Body Cable and lo and behold: I had about 0.6 inches of slack to 100% Throttle.
This was also backed up by my OBD2 Scan reports that never gave me 100% Acceleration reading on my car, even when I floored it / WOT.
Proceeded as described in the forum and....WOW. Totally different car.
Much more responsive, even without Sports Mode engaged.
This is an easy fix with awesome results - definitely worth checking, if you think you car could and should behave according to the power it has.
Now it all comes down to make the power and acceleration of the car....audible

c) Was lucky enough to find a reasonably priced Seatmodule at Ebay, which I installed today. Voilá - my passenger seat now tilts backwards AND forwards. Wohooo!
(Does anyone here know about someone in Europe who can fix these modules, so I will have a spare one available?)

Things are looking up.

Old 06-30-2018, 03:33 PM

Cool, congrats!!

Old 07-01-2018, 03:22 AM

Cool, congrats!!
Cheers muchly, sir!

Old 07-01-2018, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,390 Likes on 2,866 Posts

Every XK8/XKR owner should check for the infamous accelerator-cable-slack syndrome. So quick and easy to fix, and as many say after performing the tightening procedure, you wind up with a completely different animal....

The following users liked this post:
enderle (07-01-2018)
Old 09-03-2023, 01:48 PM
Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Marvel Mystery

Originally Posted by Redline
My 2005 XK8 has had multiple owners and had sat untouched/unstarted for about a year, so there was quite a bit of maintenance to be done. There was an embarrassing lifter "ticking" noise at startup for several minutes and performance was unimpressive/boring, but hey, the car looks great....

My 2012 Hyundai Genesis, with a 3.8L 333hp V6 coupled with a ZF8 trans, was much, much more responsive, requiring me to use a lighter foot on the throttle (and brakes) after driving the Jag.

I replaced a quart of oil with the same amount of Marvel Mystery Oil for 500 miles (then a full oil change), which removed the start-up ticking. Then, 8 oz of MMO in each of 3 full tanks of gas honest-to-goodness felt like it doubled the perceived horsepower. (I think the throttle body was gummed up, resulting in the disappointing performance.) Everyone has their opinion of MMO, but I am a big advocate. It has saved me a lot of time and money over the past (many) years by trying it prior to component teardown & rebuild. Just my $.02...
There is no way adding Marvel Mystery Oil could have effected the throttle body. You would have to manually clean it. Fuel injectors are downstream.

Old 09-03-2023, 01:57 PM
Default Pantera

Originally Posted by tberg
Berglmir,
Don't make the mistake of driving an X150, 5.0L XKR, the amount of power difference and the drivability difference to the 4.0L XKR will shock you. I have both and there is simply no comparison. Having said that, I still love my 2002 XKR for the sense of class and the special feeling you get when driving it. I am completing a complete restoration of my 175,000 mile 'vert and should have the car back by the weekend. AND I CAN'T WAIT! It's so beautiful, and you feel so special with acres of walnut veneer surrounding you, who cares about the reduced power and the loosey goosey handling. I also get my newly restored 1972 De Tomaso Pantera back this weekend after 4 years. The new 500+hp, 550ft.lbs. of torque engine in a sub 3000lb. car should be positively frightening. Honestly, I look more forward to my X100 returning to the stable. (Much more comfortable to drive).
If I had a Pantera the jags would seldom leave the garage. Although with the cost keeping fuel in my XKR, hate to think of doing it in a Pantera.😳

Old 09-03-2023, 02:06 PM
Default Mazda

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
i was the one who confirmed the mazda mafs a few years ago. I actually got the best price on the sensor by walking straight to the mazda parts department and buying it from them. It cost me something like $60 usd if i remember correctly. Just ask for the sensor from an '06 mazda 3.
​​​​​​
Don't know if this could apply here. But most ford's are atleast partially made by Mazda. Many parts interchange. When working on a Mazda could often find parts cheaper for a Ford.

Last edited by BLKLSTD; 09-03-2023 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-04-2023, 10:46 PM
Received 100 Likes on 61 Posts

I thought these cars used a fly by wire throttle and the throttle cable was used in limp home mode only?

Old 09-05-2023, 12:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwback
I thought these cars used a fly by wire throttle and the throttle cable was used in limp home mode only?
The cable serves as a fail-safe of sorts, Basically the system checks pedal position with cable position. That's very simplified and l am not sure of actual change points in the production run.

Old 09-05-2023, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Throwback
It appears to me the cable pretty much actuates the throttle position sensor. I have a xkr which has a different throttle body than xk8 But they appear to be quite similar. XKR is larger in diameter and shaped a bit different. I know in limp mode the cable doesn't have much control of anything. Mine went into limp mode and wouldn't go over about 2000 rpm no matter what

Old 09-05-2023, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 853 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKLSTD
It appears to me the cable pretty much actuates the throttle position sensor. I have a xkr which has a different throttle body than xk8 But they appear to be quite similar. XKR is larger in diameter and shaped a bit different. I know in limp mode the cable doesn't have much control of anything. Mine went into limp mode and wouldn't go over about 2000 rpm no matter what

cable drives pps. pps has a lever. when the motor is declutched when you put the pps to the floor the limp lever contacts the throttle shaft

Old 09-05-2023, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by xalty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQSfJgjDjwU

cable drives pps. pps has a lever. when the motor is declutched when you put the pps to the floor the limp lever contacts the throttle shaft
Ok. That explains a couple things. I'd prefer to have a good old fashioned cable that moves the butterfly's. Been having a hard time finding any information on these cars. Do you know anything about the obd2 data network? I'm assuming engine data is on k-line? If so do you know what other than engine uses that protocol? I recently bought a 2000 XKR with check engine light and will not connect to a scanner. Not sure if I'm going about this correctly. I've never really been on any online forums.Never really had time , I've always been working. So I don't have much knowledge of where and how to do what. So if I do something out of line, I didn't intentionally offend anyone. Any information on what uses what protocol, or where I could get information, and maybe something describing the different systems. I would greatly appreciate it. Mainly the engine and trans controls I'm quite capable of repairing this car Been a ASE and Ford master tech for almost 30 years. I just need to know what I'm working on.

Old 09-05-2023, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 853 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKLSTD
Ok. That explains a couple things. I'd prefer to have a good old fashioned cable that moves the butterfly's. Been having a hard time finding any information on these cars. Do you know anything about the obd2 data network? I'm assuming engine data is on k-line? If so do you know what other than engine uses that protocol? I recently bought a 2000 XKR with check engine light and will not connect to a scanner. Not sure if I'm going about this correctly. I've never really been on any online forums.Never really had time , I've always been working. So I don't have much knowledge of where and how to do what. So if I do something out of line, I didn't intentionally offend anyone. Any information on what uses what protocol, or where I could get information, and maybe something describing the different systems. I would greatly appreciate it. Mainly the engine and trans controls I'm quite capable of repairing this car Been a ASE and Ford master tech for almost 30 years. I just need to know what I'm working on.
K is for diag tools like a generic smog scanner or an elm327

when the WDS or IDS talks to it it uses can

Old 09-06-2023, 02:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,548 Likes on 3,957 Posts