XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

XKR ride height low front end

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 01:24 PM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Rob,

I just looked underneath. I seem to have same stack-o-stuff as yours with respect to spacers, etc.

I wonder if someone with racing experience on these might help you to know if you could make adjustment to these with additional spacers without screwing up if you are OK with handling at current spring rates.

One thing I noticed on mine and can't tell on yours from photo is the spring on mine does not seem to be in straight line with shock axis. It looked like it might be off more on driver side. Next time I have it up in the air I will take a look at top of spring as there may be a little issue with spring cup out of whack. I could not tell without taking it apart a little whether the cups have a spiral seat that would put it off axis but I would think it would ride high if that was the issue.

I could not figure out a good reference point to measure spring height for comparision.

Good Luck
Steven (1avguy)

Old 12-12-2010, 09:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue with a 2003 XKR convertible, bought used with 58.000 miles on it. The front end was/is about 1.75 inches lower than it should be. There is no sign of shock failure. The miles are smooth road miles.

This causes several problems: noticeable cupping on the insides of the front tires after only 2k miles, as proper caster/camber is impossible to achieve; contact of tires w/ wheel wells going over a pavement dip at speed; contact of oil cooler w/ ground entering driveways;

New front struts (shocks, springs, etc) would cost about $2,300.

What did you finally do?

Thanks,

Rider

Old 12-13-2010, 09:10 AM
RJK

At this point I've done nothing major but as a stop gap measure I've purchased the rubber version of the coil spring spacers and installed those. Mine isn't too low that I'm experiencing the some of the issues that you are. I'm considering purchasing new road springs from Mina Gallery which will lower the car by 1.2" and maybe keep the spacers on the front. This should give me a bit better handling (the stock suspension is less than impressive from a handling perspective), hopefully.
I'm even considering going as far as fitting an aftermarket coil over system (I know the CATS will become non functional) which I can properly level the car.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:17 AM
Thumbs down lowering XKR

RJK,

You must have admirably smooth roads.. lowering my car to balance it would be inadvisable.

I agree about the handling.. not superb even in sport mode.

Any thoughts about how to get the front of my XKR higher so as to meet
the spec?

Thanks in advance for your comment

Rider

Old 12-14-2010, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

I have the same issue with the front ride height. So far I have just raised my oil cooler to avoid slamming it on driveways. I have not decided what, if anything, to do further.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:23 PM
RJK

So I will tell you that I slammed my oil cooler into a curb and destroyed it when I first got the car. I ended up fitting an aftermarket engine oil cooler with a higher capacity than the stock, that was a fiasco. I'm not certain what exactly to do about getting the front of the car raised back up to meet stock specification. I'm not even convinced that purchasing new Jag springs and dampeners would do the trick and a very pricey experiment at that. The rubber coil spring spacers are pretty cheap and non invasive and they raised my front end the inch or so I thought I wanted so that's an option. Word of advise though; the spacer only yielded about 75% of the advertised height so figure that when you or if you do it.
I will also tell you that the caveat to raising the front end was to make the car handle even worse than before. Personally I'm going to buy the springs from Mina Gallery and install the back ones first and see how she sits ( hopefully level or more level)..... a bit of trial and error.
You can buy the JAG eccentric lower control arm bolts (from what I understand is that this is a JAG part that was developed after the fact because they had the issue of negative camber) that will allow you to adjust the negative camber out to alleviate the tire wear.
Good Luck!