XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

XKR seat height

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2021, 11:09 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default XKR seat height

I use a wheelchair all of the time and I'm considering getting an XKR, likely a pre '07 one (I'm not that rich!). Could someone please tell me the height of the seat top (where your bum goes!) from the floor? I need to work out whether I can get into and out of it.

Many thanks in expectation...

Old 11-30-2021, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts

R, in case you didn't know, adjustable seat height drivers seat was an option. I have an xk8 with that option, if you want me to measure just ask. I'd assume lowest and highest setting? Which is better for you BTW, lower or higher?

John

The following users liked this post:
Markmbaha1 (12-01-2021)
Old 12-01-2021, 05:32 AM
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnken
R, in case you didn't know, adjustable seat height drivers seat was an option. I have an xk8 with that option, if you want me to measure just ask. I'd assume lowest and highest setting? Which is better for you BTW, lower or higher?

John
Since that seat height is very important, keep in mind that raising and lowering may quit working. Mine never worked. It would raise the front of the bottom seat under your knees but not full seat lift. I would take steps to disable the raise and lower function after you get it set, just incase.

Johnken (12-01-2021)
Old 12-01-2021, 08:03 AM

Aha! No, I didn't know that. Could you please measure both positions?
Briefly, I broke my back 31 years ago and I've had Astras, lowered Capris, Nissan 200s (two of each), a Fiat Panda 4x4 convertible and most recently I had a 1991 Jaguar XJS for 11 years. I could get my wheelchair and I in and out of them without much problem. I pull myself up a sliding board to get out. Three years ago my right leg was amputated and I haven't driven since then. I don't know which seat height will work best, higher will be a smaller slope to drag myself up but I have relatively strong arms. The issue is most likely the angle of the door and the seat height. Does the seat move forwards as it rises (electric seats generally do)? That would likely be a problem.

Old 12-01-2021, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member

Ok look for the measurement today. No, it does not move forward as it rises.

Standby. John

Raspberry Ripple (12-01-2021)
Old 12-01-2021, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member

Doorsill high point is 16 inches above ground.

Seat height 10.75 lowest position. Measured floor to top of front cushion.
12 inches fully raised.

Seat at lowest, seat top is 2 inches above doorsill. So 18 inches above ground.

Seat plane does not change wrt floor or ground, but like any other seat your butt is lower than thigh at front edge of seat.

This is a 1998 xk8. No idea what changes with which seat choice/year/XK8 vs XKR

If you feel like sharing, we'd love to know how measurements impact your needs. Thanks,

John

Last edited by Johnken; 12-01-2021 at 03:07 PM.
michaelh (12-01-2021)
Old 12-01-2021, 04:36 PM

That's very comprehensive Johnken, thanks very much! It's also very good news from my perspective!!!
18 inches is far higher than my XJS used to be, I'm sure that was closer to 10 or 12! My wheelchair cushion is about 20 inches off the floor and going up 3-4 inches (once I get on the seat) seems doable to me.
The doors are inevitably enormous and open fairly wide, too, that also helps.
This is extremely helpful to me, organising transport will be complicated if I have to do it so I'm essentially prospecting towards buying a fairly expensive car which I may not be able to get into! As far as I can see XK8s and XKRs are the same car with a different engine (although I will check because I'm aware how much I'm hoping they are!).
Thanks again. I've almost decided what kind of car I want!

Johnken (12-01-2021)
Old 12-01-2021, 04:41 PM

It wasn't a 91, it was an 94 L reg pardon me!

Old 12-01-2021, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member

You're quite welcome! I look forward to hearing about your new cat!

Hey you'll appreciate this. Back when I was shopping, I was looking for an XJS to replace my XJ6. Unfortunately back then they were in high demand. As soon as a convertible came to market - poof it was sold (it felt like). Then I saw this XK8 with a for sale sign on it. Ttytt it didn't look quite as sexy to my eyes back then, but . . . Maybe I thought?

I was fortunate in that my girlfriend was friends with a Jaguar collector. He had at least 2 dozen cats in his 2 story garage. I decided to give him a ring and ask how the X100s (Jaguar code name for the XK8 / XKR line) were compared to the XJS' ? He didn't hesitate and explained the XK8 could do everything the XJS could, and more! He mentioned he was thinking of picking one up for himself.

Well I was convinced - thats how my story started. BTW, I never looked back.
Ttys,
John

Old 12-01-2021, 06:08 PM
Default The Jaaag

I'll do me best!
I was active in a few owners clubs and I was surprised by quite how many people have collections of Jaaags. They're clearly a seductive habit, it looks like I'll be getting another one.
They're extravagant toys with the advantage of providing transport to my mind, and that's a great way to enjoy driving!
I expect a XJS with traction control could be an even more engaging beast than the originals were, so I can imagine they've got potential. My experience of tuning turbos suggests to me that a supercharger will work very well in conjunction with an automatic gearbox.
Fingers crossed...
Luke

The following 3 users liked this post by Raspberry Ripple:
Dennis Reardon (12-03-2021), Johnken (12-02-2021), michaelh (12-01-2021)
Old 12-02-2021, 12:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,684 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Originally Posted by Raspberry Ripple
I use a wheelchair all of the time and I'm considering getting an XKR, likely a pre '07 one (I'm not that rich!). .…”

incredible bargains can be found with the earlier 4.0 models (2002 and before). When the known mechanical issues have been corrected the 4.0’s are quite as reliable as the 4.2 models

Known 4.0 issues are the cam chain tensioners, water pump impellers, and suspension bushings to name the most well known. The cam chain tension repair is not especially expensive when done before failure. And can be quite expensive when a
failure sets off a cascading series of events.

Repair records showing these items checked off are a great indication a good prospect has been located. My own car had these items repaired by the seller, and has been a reliable joy to own for the subsequent past 4 years / 60,000 miles.

Z

PS Note: for your information, The 4.0 XK8’s do have a transmission with a reputation for needing “A drum” replacement. The supercharged 4.0 XKR’s however, have a different, and sturdier transmission, the Mercedes 722.6 unit, and are not prone to needing such expensive repairs

Old 12-02-2021, 05:29 PM

Thanks very much Zray, I've seen a couple of perhaps unreliable sources telling me that XKRs are plagued with minor issues which quickly add up. I've driven used cars for long enough to know that sometimes they can be like that but a few bargains (especially the 6.0 V12 XJS I drove for 11 years and only sold because I wouldn't leave it standing while I was in hospital for a long time) have given me faith and served me well.
From an engineering speedfreak perspective the reason I'm most interested in an XKR is coordinating the supercharger with an automatic gearbox. My vanity could certainly be satisfied with an XK8.
I'm aiming to spend about six grand. That seems an average reasonable price for both of them. A friend of mine recently leant me towards the XK8 because (as I remember) he said they went aluminium in 2001 where the XKR did so in 2004(ish).
The "known issues" list you gave may be very helpful, thanks.
I've noticed the cam chain tensioners and suspension bushings mentioned being replaced in a couple of adverts and this is very useful when I'm fishing in the dark without a shotgun.
There seem to be a few XKRs in my price range and my soul is crying out to me to take that risk. I just need to rationalise this process!
it makes sense to me that the XKRs have the most resilient gearbox and it's fairly unlikely at least that they'll have been owned by a teenager with a weighted right foot.

Old 12-02-2021, 05:31 PM

Given the height of the seat I don't think it'll make much difference, thanks

Old 12-02-2021, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,684 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Originally Posted by Raspberry Ripple
”…..A friend of mine recently leant me towards the XK8 because (as I remember) he said they went aluminium in 2001 where the XKR did so in 2004(ish).
I believe 2007 was the first model year for the aluminum body in both the XK8 and XKR.

very interested in the chatter out there pertaining to the XKR’s reliability issues vs. the same years XK8.

(I’m no Jaguar authority, still learning).

I weighed the pros and cons of the 8’s vs. the R’s when I purchased my ‘02 XKR four years ago. It’s a case of one size does not fit all buyers. Everyone has different criteria they are using to make this decision. There’s no 100% “wrong or right” .

For me, I only considered the 2002 and earlier 4.0 cars due to self imposed budget considerations. For my needs the XKR was the car to go for. Clearly others feel equally strongly in favor of the XK8.

The intra-familia debate is best argued over a few cold brews with no losers and no winners .

Z

Old 12-03-2021, 04:48 AM

Sure enough Zray, the second generation started the aluminium bodies in 2007.
On the subject of chatter the first place I looked to check that had a list of good reasons against getting an aluminium body. The Interweb usually contains an alternative to every opinion it voices. Like you, the price will dictate how new a car I can get. I clearly want more R in my life and they seem to be very similar prices to the 8s.

Old 03-22-2023, 10:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default My XKR

Pardon me, I forgot about this post!
if anyone's still interested I got an 02 4.2 XKR last October. It's great fun, many thanks for the advice.

The following 2 users liked this post by 4 wheelz good, two legs bad:
Just Another Guy (03-29-2023), ozbot (03-22-2023)