XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

XKR Sitting Too Low, Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2021, 10:28 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default XKR Sitting Too Low, Help!

Hi Guys & Gals. I need some help with my 2005 Jaguar XKR R Performance Cats. My car was riding like a truck, bottoming out on speed bumps etc...Suspension Fault Warning Light was On
So I replaced the Front Shock Mounts, Shocks Bilstein HD (RockAuto) and Springs (Adamesh). I still have to replace the Upper Control Arm Bushings. The Ball Joints in the Upper Control Arm are Good. The rear shocks (Bil) and springs (Adamesh) were also replaced.. When I replaced the Brakes (Mintex) and Rotors (Cross Drilled Eurospares) I noticed the plastic guide was broke on the Left Front Ride Height Sensor.. So I did some BS an Crazy Glued the broken Plastic Guide attached to the Gearing for the time being. The car still sits too low and the Suspension Fault Warning Light is Still On. I can only fit 2 fingers between the front tires and fenders. I've read the Stories but I haven't uncover the solution. My technician diagnosis the active suspension system and said 5 Ohm's was reading thru a circuit and advise I see an electrician..
so what do you all thinks?
Dirtboy Nay

Old 06-20-2021, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,451 Likes on 779 Posts

Considering that you fitted the Adamesh lowering springs, I expect the car to be sitting about an inch lower.

The suspension fault warning is not related to ride height, but instead to the shocks. It’s possible the wire inside at least one of the shocks was broken during installing and the system is defaulting to it’s hardest setting. It’s also possible the shocks were not connected properly to their plug by whomever installed them.

The front shocks are easy to inspect. The rears, not so much. They should have a wire connected to them via the top bolt. Also, if you mistakenly purchased the Non-CATS shock, you can just disconnect the suspension module in the trunk to get rid of the suspension fault warning.

And the ride height sensor you mention that has a broken guide is for the HID headlights auto-leveling system and has nothing to do with the suspension.

Last edited by giandanielxk8; 06-20-2021 at 11:00 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by giandanielxk8:
cjd777 (06-21-2021), DavidYau (06-21-2021), PKWise (06-23-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 05:01 AM

The suspension fault warning light was on before the shocks was installed. I'll have my Auto Tech inspect the Cats wire at the top on the shocks. It could very well have a short / broken connection defaulting the system to it’s hardest setting. I purchased the BILSTEIN 20070816 {#MXD2140AB, MXD2141AB} B4 OE Replacement (DampTronic) Front & BILSTEIN 20070823 {#MXD3540AB, MXD3540AC, MXD3541AB} B4 OE Replacement (DampTronic) Rear. Both are Sport Suspension with Electric Suspension from RockAuto. I believe these are the correct application. You mentioned disconnecting the suspension Module in the trunk to get rid of the Suspension Fault Warning. Would that fool the system into raising the shocks height ? giandanielxk8 Thanks for the Input.

Old 06-21-2021, 06:41 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dirtboy Nay
The suspension fault warning light was on before the shocks was installed. I'll have my Auto Tech inspect the Cats wire at the top on the shocks. It could very well have a short / broken connection defaulting the system to it’s hardest setting. I purchased the BILSTEIN 20070816 {#MXD2140AB, MXD2141AB} B4 OE Replacement (DampTronic) Front & BILSTEIN 20070823 {#MXD3540AB, MXD3540AC, MXD3541AB} B4 OE Replacement (DampTronic) Rear. Both are Sport Suspension with Electric Suspension from RockAuto. I believe these are the correct application. You mentioned disconnecting the suspension Module in the trunk to get rid of the Suspension Fault Warning. Would that fool the system into raising the shocks height ? giandanielxk8 Thanks for the Input.
No, the ride height is not electronically adjustable. These cars do not have air suspension. What controls the ride height are your springs and shock mounts. You installed lowering springs which are the reason for the lowered stance. The CATS electronic shock absorbers control damping and rebound. The system fault warning makes the system default to their stiffest setting.

I would look at the wiring or the module itself being faulty.

Old 06-21-2021, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,582 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Front end lowering due to weakened springs is a well known issue. I certainly had it on my 2002, and I also replaced the shocks, the shock mounts but also the springs and the ride height in front went up considerably. But even with all that done, I still think my X100 XKR rides much harder than my X150 XKR, even harsher than my Pantera.

Last edited by tberg; 06-22-2021 at 09:50 PM.
Old 06-22-2021, 05:07 AM

giandanielxk8I will look at the wiring or the module like you suggested. The Shock Mounts, Shocks, Springs and Most of the Bushings have been replaced. I certainly believe the car the CATS electronic shock absorbers control damping and rebound system has defaulted to the stiffest setting. Today I will replace the Battery cause the car was sitting for 8-9mos.starting and running the car in between. Along with the Suspension fault warning I'm receiving cruise control not working and rear light out. So i suspect the battery might not be fully charged.

tberg you said even when you replaced all those parts you still think the ride is harsh, even harsher than a Pantera. That's Crrazy. My 03 XJR R1 with the same shocks and springs doesn't ride anything like the 05 XKR R Performance. Your Front went up, Mine did not.

Another thing i noticed the sport but doesn't seem to engage. When i press that button in the 03 XJR I can fell the car throttle response becomes quicker and the suspension stiffen when pressed. Not so with 05 XKR.
So i wonder what's that about ? I'm going to go thru all the steps checking the wires and module. The car's too Beautiful to ride like a truck. Driving in Brooklyn with all the speed bumps, potholes and uneven roads makes me feel like I'm driving on a obstacle course. Man I can't wait till i get it right so iI can just drive. Thanks Guys

Old 06-22-2021, 06:23 AM
Veteran Member

So I replaced the Front Shock Mounts, Shocks Bilstein HD (RockAuto) and Springs (Adamesh).
Dirtboy Nay
I see, you bought Adamesh springs…

Originally Posted by Adamesh
Our springs our produced in the UK by one of the leading spring manufactures from chrome vanadium steel.This uprated and lowered spring kit for the Jaguar XK8 and XKR models fitted with both standard or active CATS suspension. This will enhance the handling and ride of your car while lowering it by approximately 25mm.
Adamesh 25 mm = 1 inch lower.

The car still sits too low and the Suspension Fault Warning Light is Still On. I can only fit 2 fingers between the front tires and fenders.
Dirtboy Nay
This is not the correct way to measure ride height. The correct way is to take a tape measure and measure from the edge of the fender (aka wheel arch) to the wheel center cap. The stock ride height should be 15.5 inches. I expect yours to be at 14.5 inches because of the Adamesh springs. If that is your measurement then there is nothing wrong.

Please go measure the ride height like I have explained. The finger method is wildly inaccurate.

The ride will be harsh until that suspension fault warning is cleared. If you are unable to do that, a solution is to switch to the less expensive non-CATS shocks and disconnect the module so that the suspension fault warning does not display.

Disconnecting the module and keeping the CATS shocks will eliminate the fault but the ride will remain stiff.

Last edited by giandanielxk8; 06-22-2021 at 06:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cjd777 (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,181 Likes on 760 Posts

Along with the Suspension fault warning I'm receiving cruise control not working and rear light out. So i suspect the battery might not be fully charged

Another thing i noticed the sport but doesn't seem to engage. When i press that button in the 03 XJR I can fell the car throttle response becomes quicker and the suspension stiffen when pressed. Not so with 05 XKR.
Your cruise control problem may well be connected to your rear light problem, assuming it is brake light.
The sport button only changes shift points in the gearbox, any changes in ride or handling are coincedental.

Old 06-22-2021, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
I see, you bought Adamesh springs…

Adamesh 25 mm = 1 inch lower.

This is not the correct way to measure ride height. The correct way is to take a tape measure and measure from the edge of the fender (aka wheel arch) to the wheel center cap. The stock ride height should be 15.5 inches. I expect yours to be at 14.5 inches because of the Adamesh springs. If that is your measurement then there is nothing wrong.

Please go measure the ride height like I have explained. The finger method is wildly inaccurate.

The ride will be harsh until that suspension fault warning is cleared. If you are unable to do that, a solution is to switch to the less expensive non-CATS shocks and disconnect the module so that the suspension fault warning does not display.

Disconnecting the module and keeping the CATS shocks will eliminate the fault but the ride will remain stiff.

I measured all 4 corners. "tape measure and measure from the edge of the fender (aka wheel arch) to the wheel center cap"
Front Driver Side 13.5"
Passenger Side Front 14"
Rear Driver Sidre 15"
Passenger Side 15.5"

Wow didn't expect that.

Old 06-22-2021, 08:16 AM

Baxtor when you pressed the sport button you don't feel it engage ? I feel it engage when I press it in the 03 XJR. It's more pronounced.
I'll press the brake lights to see if any have fail. Thanks for the input

Last edited by Dirtboy Nay; 06-22-2021 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-22-2021, 11:47 AM
Received 104 Likes on 62 Posts

My car is fitted with Adamesh springs and as you can tell its sits lower compared to standard springs. It has also got the Welsh Enterprises front poly shock mounts

The following users liked this post:
Dirtboy Nay (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 12:34 PM

Yes Higgins, the Goal is to have my car seated like yours and to ride a little softer. I will trouble shoot, research until I ultimately solve this problem and post my findings.
Thanks for the Pic Higgins.

Old 06-22-2021, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member

Dirtboy Nay,
Yes, my 2002 XKR rides more harshly than my 1972 De Tomaso Pantera. My 2010 XKR, while quite firm, is more compliant and a pleasure. It's why I never drive my 2002 anymore. It just feels so crude in comparison to my 2010. Tomorrow I have decided to use my 2002 for the day and it will be the first time in at least 2 years. It's gorgeous, exterior looks new, but ride wise there is no comparison to the X150. And by the way, I have new Cats shocks, shock mounts, bushings, etc.

Last edited by tberg; 06-22-2021 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-22-2021, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member

And believe it or not, the ride is harsher than in this, my Pantera.

The following 2 users liked this post by tberg:
DavidYau (06-23-2021), dfbender (06-23-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 10:37 PM

Tberg Both those Gals are Gorgeous. But I have a hard time accepting that the car with ride like a Semi for the rest of it's existence. Here's my Girl. Guys those wheels are Gone.

Old 06-23-2021, 01:54 AM
Received 366 Likes on 181 Posts

Dirtboy, When your Adamesh springs were fitted, were the black lower spacers kept? Mine has 3off as standard and they add up to be about 9mm (3/8") thick in total. If removed, they will definitely lower the ride....

Old 06-23-2021, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by PKWise
Dirtboy, When your Adamesh springs were fitted, were the black lower spacers kept? Mine has 3off as standard and they add up to be about 9mm (3/8") thick in total. If removed, they will definitely lower the ride....
PKWise, I'll check to see if the Black Lower Spacers are there. 9mm is a Big Deal. Thanks for the info PKWise.

Old 06-23-2021, 05:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

giandanielxk8. Along with the Suspension fault warning I'm receiving cruise control not working and rear light out. So i suspect the battery might not be fully charged.
Hi, this is related to brake light switch. Change it and it´s gonna work again. (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-guide-171218/)
For the suspension fault - what helped on mine was to disconnect the cats unit in the trunk, clean the connectors with spray and plug it again. Also you can do the cleaning on front shocks.

Old 06-23-2021, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by jaryn
Hi, this is related to brake light switch. Change it and it´s gonna work again. (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-guide-171218/)
For the suspension fault - what helped on mine was to disconnect the cats unit in the trunk, clean the connectors with spray and plug it again. Also you can do the cleaning on front shocks.
jaryn, I was receiving the Brake Light Switch Error Code Last Year. So I Purchased a New one but I did not install it because when I replaced the Battery the code went away. It's time to replace it.
I' ll disconnect the cats unit in the trunk, clean the connectors with spray and plug it again as advised.
I guess that would also apply to the cats shock connectors under the bonnet ? What did you use to clean the connectors ?
Thanks Jaryn I forgot completely about the brake light switch. Cruise Control message is usually Ceared up by Cleaning the Speed Sensors, Correct ?
I'll get to it Thanks Again Jaryn

Old 06-23-2021, 07:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, clean also the connectors under the bonnet. Its also good to unbolt the unit in the trunk first and then disconnect it. You will have more space around as the plug may need some wiggling when releasing it.
Not sure how you guys call the spray in states, I used this: https://chemickeprodukty.nakupujeme....l-s-trubickou/
If the error wont disappear, then some more advanced jaguar diagnostics should be able to say which shock absorber or part of the cats system is causing the error. Could be some tripped wire as well.
Cruise Control error message should go away after replacing the brake light switch.