XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XKR starts, runs for about 3 seconds then stops

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 02:28 PM
Received 192 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by masterblaster
Gus;614299, Thank you for your reply. The fuel filter has been checked as has the fuel pressure. I jumped out the fuel pump relay so that it would stay on and checked the fuel pressure at the manifold and it is stable at 45 psi. By removing the fuel relay, it created a code, so I know that that relay is good. I also removed every relay and individually tested each one and they were all good.

Thank you,
masterblaster
1999 XK8 convertible, K&N filter
Is the fuel pressure 45 psi even when cranking or while it runs for a few seconds? It should maintain the pressure all the time. I had a bad fuel pump that could charge the system but could not flow the volume needed. I would check with a mechanical gauge on the shraeder valve while someone else is cranking and be sure the pressure is steady all the time. Just my 2 cents

The following users liked this post:
Gus (11-05-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 02:54 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I agree with this and was planning to suggest after you told me that both fuses and the relay were OK..

Originally Posted by SteveJacks
Is the fuel pressure 45 psi even when cranking or while it runs for a few seconds? It should maintain the pressure all the time. I had a bad fuel pump that could charge the system but could not flow the volume needed. I would check with a mechanical gauge on the shraeder valve while someone else is cranking and be sure the pressure is steady all the time. Just my 2 cents

Old 11-06-2012, 07:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XK8 stall no code

Originally Posted by Gus
You have 2 fuses that feed power to the fuel pump. Read this check procedure and see if it helps.

Link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

The way to check fuses is to take them out and test continuity across the blades, as for the relay swap with another relay and if the problem moves to another location replace the bad relay.
Thank you Gus,I had performed the test that you posted on the pump but I was not aware of the 5 amp fuse and it roll. I will check it. As far as the pump and the 20 amp and the relay they are all okay and functioning properly.
Yesterday I disconnected the fuel return line from the just after the fuel regulator and connected a clear tubing and ran it to a gas can. I then turned the key on and to see if I had gas flowing back to the tank. With KOEO the fuel flowed back only momentarily after starting the engine which it did and ran fine and smooth for the 3 or 5 secs, the fuel flowed freely to the gas can, the engine then shut down but the fuel continued to flow for a couple of more seconds. I repeated this procedure a number of time to verify the results. My conclusion is that the fuel flows to the engine when started and the pump continues to run for a few seconds after the engine stalls, proving that the problem is not fuel related. Something else is tell the ECM to shut the engine down. I have ordered new temp sensor and cam shaft sensors to determine if one of these are the culprits.
Thank you for your help.

masterblaster
2009 XK8

Old 11-06-2012, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Your car has suddenly lost ten years !
If so you need moving to the right section.
You would expect P codes if the sensors you ordered had gone bad.
I don't think your flow test is viable.
You need pressure to get the fuel through the injectors.
If the pump was putting out a low flow it could pressurise the system enough to get you started but once the injectors were working the pressure would drop so they couldn't inject.
You would still see the pump flow coming out of your tube.
You really do need to put a gauge on the schrader fitiing and measure pressure.