Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Orthodixie (11-02-2017)
Old 11-02-2017, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 654 Posts
Smile Shaguar?

Bluefin,

Sorry but the F Type just doesn't turn me on.....I can see me inside sitting on the Rear wheels and bumping my Head on the Roof..............Looks like they have cut off about 25% of the Backend.......So far I have avoided having to get into one and I feel pretty good about that!

Billy Clyde in Houston (Home of the World Series winning Astros)

Notice how I slipped that in?

Old 11-02-2017, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 731 Likes on 364 Posts

pbf,
you always know your way around the camera...why the hazy U + JR?
wj

Orthodixie (11-07-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by wymjym
pbf,
you always know your way around the camera...why the hazy U + JR?
wj
We asked a bystander to snap the pics. the other had her thumb in the shot! haha
Ill have some pro pics taken soon.

Billy, I don't see myself in an F-type, but it is really a sexy car. My heart is gonna go for an Aston next...The seats are sooo fine....

Congrats on your World Series team! They showed LA. haha

Old 11-06-2017, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
Cool My Aston Martin Vantage Loaner car"

Originally Posted by prettybluefin
We asked a bystander to snap the pics. the other had her thumb in the shot! haha
Ill have some pro pics taken soon.

Billy, I don't see myself in an F-type, but it is really a sexy car. My heart is gonna go for an Aston next...The seats are sooo fine....

Congrats on your World Series team! They showed LA. haha
Prettybluefin,

The Coupe has been sick for a couple months now! They have tried everything and it is still down & out! During this time I have been using a Silver 2007 A-M Vantage Coupe with Beige Interior....You would love it except it is stick-shift.....I've been driving sticks since I was 9, so no problem there...except even with the hydraulic clutch, it is still pretty hard to push down! Here in the Houston traffic I just put it in 3rd or 4th and kind'a poke around hoping the light will turn green before I get there........Not much fun!

I thought people looked at the Jag and they do! but my Heavens they almost get out of their car to look at the darn A-M.....never seen anything like it..

I'll send a photo of it soon! As they have finally determined why the Jag has been sick and I should get it back this week....wish the A-M was automatic......I might have to dig up a few Bucks for that!!!! As it is PRETTY!

As to the Astros, they had a Parade Downtown Friday Afternoon and 2 Million People showed up! It was unbelievable...Their were 15-20 story parking garages with people hanging over the sides watching, waving, it was really something.....

Billy Clyde in Houston

prettybluefin (11-09-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bcprice36
Prettybluefin,

The Coupe has been sick for a couple months now! They have tried everything and it is still down & out! During this time I have been using a Silver 2007 A-M Vantage Coupe with Beige Interior....You would love it except it is stick-shift.....I've been driving sticks since I was 9, so no problem there...except even with the hydraulic clutch, it is still pretty hard to push down! Here in the Houston traffic I just put it in 3rd or 4th and kind'a poke around hoping the light will turn green before I get there........Not much fun!

I thought people looked at the Jag and they do! but my Heavens they almost get out of their car to look at the darn A-M.....never seen anything like it..

I'll send a photo of it soon! As they have finally determined why the Jag has been sick and I should get it back this week....wish the A-M was automatic......I might have to dig up a few Bucks for that!!!! As it is PRETTY!

As to the Astros, they had a Parade Downtown Friday Afternoon and 2 Million People showed up! It was unbelievable...Their were 15-20 story parking garages with people hanging over the sides watching, waving, it was really something.....

Billy Clyde in Houston
sorry to hear that Billy,
I hope Harvey didn't have anything to do with your sick kitty.
wj

Old 11-07-2017, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member
Smile The Texas Coupe has a virus!

WJ,

The Coupe caught some type of a Virus back in June....Darndest thing you've ever seen...It "Hunts" all the time! Driving along on the Freeway or driving down Hwy 6 when you get in traffic, it seems to try to run out of gas and then it starts running fine and then back and forth. You feel like you must give it some gas as it feels like it's going to die....so you wind up holding the accelerator down a little with is bad on the whole car......Strange, at Idle it will idle down and then idle up 7 seconds later.....Rich & Lean..Rich & Lean.............changed out the ECM...Nothing...Changed out the Plugs, Coils, had the Injectors cleaned...changed the MAF sensor, new Fuel-pump.....Then we....Oh what the heck...nothing has helped!!!
All I've gotten out of it is being able to use the 2007 A-M Vantage Coupe...Truthfully, I'd rather be driving the Jag.....at least they have narrowed it down so that they know what in going on! Say a Prayer or something!

BC in Houston

Old 11-08-2017, 07:32 AM
Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts
Default What's going around

WJ,

The Coupe caught some type of a Virus back in June....Darndest thing you've ever seen...It "Hunts" all the time! Driving along on the Freeway or driving down Hwy 6 when you get in traffic, it seems to try to run out of gas and then it starts running fine and then back and forth. You feel like you must give it some gas as it feels like it's going to die....so you wind up holding the accelerator down a little with is bad on the whole car......Strange, at Idle it will idle down and then idle up 7 seconds later.....Rich & Lean..Rich & Lean.............changed out the ECM...Nothing...Changed out the Plugs, Coils, had the Injectors cleaned...changed the MAF sensor, new Fuel-pump.....Then we....Oh what the heck...nothing has helped!!!
All I've gotten out of it is being able to use the 2007 A-M Vantage Coupe...Truthfully, I'd rather be driving the Jag.....at least they have narrowed it down so that they know what in going on! Say a Prayer or something!

BC in Houston
That is sad news. My coupe just caught the "Check Rear Lights" bug. The warning comes on and goes off intermittently. Came across numerous threads pointing to the brake pedal micro switch as culprit. Going to see if it heals itself (i know) over next week or so before i seek professional help--for the car. I do not expect to get an A-M loaner. Get well soon

Old 11-08-2017, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member

WJ,

BC in Houston
months without your kitty, sensing much withdrawal?
If the issue is mechanical...could it be a faulty fuel (pulse) dampener?
wj

bcprice36 (11-08-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member
Default OK! WJ...........?

Originally Posted by wymjym
months without your kitty, sensing much withdrawal?
If the issue is mechanical...could it be a faulty fuel (pulse) dampener?
wj
WJ, What the Hell is a Fuel (pulse) dampener? Man, we are down to trying anything and if you are serious about this......Please give me some details! I am really tried of the A-M!

The XKR sits at idle and "Hunts"! Over a period of 9 seconds it will go from running great to getting so rich that it drops 200 RPM and then back again....Every 9 seconds.........Let me know what you think!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 11-08-2017, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 754 Posts

Probably a silly question but, sounds a bit like something an oxygen sensor fault might cause, have they been checked?

Old 11-08-2017, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by baxtor
Probably a silly question but, sounds a bit like something an oxygen sensor fault might cause, have they been checked?
Baxtor,

Sorry, you are right in that assumption but that didn't do it....They are all new!!!

BC

Old 11-08-2017, 11:02 PM
Veteran Member

JRabbit,

First, check each bulb for tightness, corrosion in the base, make sure all the contacts are clean and while you are in there make sure each Bulb is burning properly. The only Bulbs that will turn on the "Warning Light" are the Blinker, Brake Light and the Red Light. The Back-up and the English Fog Light are not hooked-up to the Warning system....Also, if one of those Bulbs mentioned, that is part of the Warning system has been replaced with an LED bulb.....that will make the "Warning system" light -up also....Check all the plug-ins under the plastic covers in the trunk for tightness and be sure you turn-off the lights while you are working back there....

Remember, you can use LED Bulbs for the Back-up and the English Fog Lights but that's all until you want to make the changes to go full LED....The Back-up Light with a LED Bulb really puts out....Looks like a spot-light at night! Great for long Drive-ways!!!

BC

Billy Clyde

JRabbit (11-09-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member

Billy,
The complexity of how the computers affect the mechanical properties makes it quite difficult to find some abnormalities, as you have found.
You know the best course of action is to log as many parameters as possible while the car is displaying the ‘virus’.
I assume the shop has done this, so…is the car running too rich and the computer is trying to pull it back or is the car running lean and the computer is enriching it? or both?
And the3n add in this question:
When driving at speed
or
At idle.
I’m not up to speed on the ‘Rs” Fi…but in the past I have seen a partially blocked pulse dampener cause enrichment at times as the blockage material actually floated within the PD’s body and would close off the gas return to the tank. All FI systems don’t have separate pulse dampeners…some have this ability built into the fpr and others have fuel rails designed to minimize the surges caused by the injectors closing.
Sorry…my pulse dampeners thought was simply a throw it against the wall and see if it sticks…you know what has been attempted so…
Really, good luck!

wj

Old 11-09-2017, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member
Smile Thanks WJ!

WJ,

There's not enough room on this page to list all the things we have tried....I'm an old Carburetor/Plugs and Points Guy from the 50's and there was nothing I couldn't fix but I'll have to tell you and the World, "I have never seen anything this complicated"! We have apparently not tried everything yet as it is still sick but I'm not sure there is anything left to do...The Guy that built my Engine has moved it on to another Guy that is more into Computers and all the read outs and such! He uses Computer Phrases that I have never heard before......He has had the Car for almost 2 weeks now but even he would like to be rid of the darn thing.......They called a few minutes ago and said they may have found the problem......I'm so tired of it I don't care anymore but I've got to get it running again before I can even think about trading it off....Really don't want to but I really don't know what to do now..... I called first thing this morning abut the Pulse Dampers, wouldn't it be great if that was what it was?

Billy Clyde

Old 11-09-2017, 07:26 PM

ASTON PICS PLEASE~!

how do you like the drive (HP) compared to the XKR? what is the HP/torque on the Aston?

I love the exhaust tone on the AM.... AND I just love the seats. they are gorgeous.

Sorry to hear about the Black Cat. I hope it is something simple and inexpensive. One of my worst fears of my cat,,,is something that is hard to pinpoint.

In the meanwhile, enjoy the AM! not many get to say they got that as a loaner!!!

Old 04-24-2020, 01:24 PM
Default Lessons Learned

Originally Posted by JRabbit
May i never have to use it:

Cautionary tale on OEM tries and spares. Before CA CV lock down, i had one of the original front tires on the 2006 coupe blow out while driving up Torrey Pines Rd near Scripps Pier in San Diego. Blew the sidewall out on a pot hole. Road maintenance in that part of town is a nightmare, but that is subject for different forum. No problem i thought, I have a spare (pictured) i can swap it out in 20 minutes and still make my noon appointment. Well maybe. I had the spare and the original factory jack, wheel brace, lug wrench etc.. I jacked the car up a bit and prepared to loosen the lugs. Oops. the lug wrench socket was too big to fit into the recess where the lug nuts reside. #@$%@$$$#@. Stymied. I called USAA roadside and explained the problem. No problem, they would send help right away. Cancel my noon appointment. About 45 minutes later, help arrived in form of an UBER delivery van driver. Not what i expected, but i am down with the gig economy. Problem, he didn't have the proper lug wrench tool (or any tools as far as i could see) and he said only tire stores have the proper tool. he was off to finish a delivery of someone's lunch. OK, i thought there is a Discount Tire not too far away, they can change it. Another call to USAA, no problem they will send a truck to transport it to the tire store about 15 miles away. I told them it had to be a flat bed. No problem. 1 hour 30 minutes later a tow truck/not a flat bed truck arrives, That driver quickly figured out that he couldn't hook the car up without damage. Ciao. Call USAA again "No Problem" they promise to send flat bed this time. Really. Another 1 hour and 30 minutes go by and now we are creeping up on 4 PM which is deep into the UTC/Mira Mesa rush hour. Finally, a flat bed arrives and the driver quickly pulls the car up on flat bed. Off we go to Discount tire. The driver is a Chaldean who fled with his family from the crazy violence in IRAQ. His account of his harrowing escape put my trivial tribulations in perspective. We arrive at Discount Tire just before 5, no problem, take the flat tire off, install the spare, limp home to order a pair of new tires for rear. Problem: the OEM spare was manufactured in 2005 and still had the factory gum on sidewalls. Discount Tire does not permit their employees to install or repair tires of a certain age. The spare was long past that age. No go. Discount Tire didn't have a pair of Pilot Sports in stock but he could sell me a comparable used tire to get home on. Went wit that option and then got the Pilots at the Discount tire store near my house. Lesson learned over course of 6 hours: make sure you when you buy used car that it has all of the bits necessary to make roadside repairs. Maybe run a practice drill to make sure everything, like lug wrench, fits. I now have the lug tool in the car at all times.

The following 2 users liked this post by JRabbit:
bcprice36 (04-24-2020), Timeisrelative (04-24-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

....And check your spare tire pressure at least every three or four months to ensure it still has sufficient psi to safely get you moving again....

Timeisrelative (04-24-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 01:01 AM
Veteran Member

Bill,
Don't feel like the only Dumb-*** in town! I was over in Sealy and noticed the Right Front was Flat when I came out of a meeting.....They are working on IH-10 between Houston and Sealy and I had hit something along the way and while I was in the Meeting the Sidewall gave-way. I called the Tire Store as I'm just to old to get down there with it anymore...and when the Tire Guy got there to put the Space-safer on I couldn't find the Lock removal tool....It had been in my Glove-Box ever since I had put them on and had use it to remove the wheels when I bought new Tires a year or so ago....but it wasn't there.....No way to get the Lock off without ruining the 20" BBS "Montreal" Wheel ($1,150.00 Bucks)! The Air Valve was missing also.....Hauled it to the Tire Store....No One in Sealy had ever scene an XKR much less had a #47 Locking Key-Nut to get the Locking Nut off the wheel...The Tire Store Owner and I got in his Pick-up and went for a Cup of Coffee. He was a nice Guy and he started telling me stories about things that had happened at the Tire Store over the years and I started thinking again about what could have happened to the Tire and Air Tools that I had in the Glove Compartment...He suggested that since Miss Ohio drives it occasionally, She might have moved them some where else in the Car.....I called her and She laughed and told me She had placed all that junk in a Light Bulb Box and put it in the trunk down beside the Space-safer.....The Guy was happier than I was.....I even paid for the Coffee...Now, back at the Shop he said the Tire was not repairable and he might have to order one but then he told me that he had ordered some Tires for Hennessey, the Corvette, Cadillac Hot Rod Shop in Sealy and that there might be one of that size in the order...I was lucky as he had the exact same Tire in that order and he let me have it...Now that's real Luck....Sealy is about 30 miles west of Houston on IH-10..Life turned out to be good that afternoon!

I just saw and read the Thread entitled XKR "Tourismo Sport"....It's been awhile since PBF....I wonder if She had this Stuff that's going around?

Billy Clyde

Billy Clyde

Old 04-25-2020, 01:15 AM

Glad to hear that your story had a happy ending. As for PBF, we can't know. but i think it is unlikely as there would have been many more folks in LA afflicted about the same time. Stay well rested and healthy.