XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

XKR Transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,801 Likes on 2,236 Posts

I was just about to order the AE for my '97. Now I don't know what to do. I'm trying to sort out an intermittent ABS fault and thought the AE with the jag package would do almost everything.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Originally Posted by RJ237
I was just about to order the AE for my '97. Now I don't know what to do. I'm trying to sort out an intermittent ABS fault and thought the AE with the jag package would do almost everything.

Well, FWIW, it does read the ABS codes and the ABS data (like wheel speed) on my 2001.

Interestingly, it says it cannot connect for TCM fault codes, but it is reading TCM sensor data...go figure.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question XKR Conductor Plate issue

I have a 2002 Jaguar XKR with the Mercedes Benz 722.6 transmission, the problem is the ECM connector “O” Ring leakage, and while the local dealer removed the assembly the 7mm screw knurled seat came out of the conductor plate. I’m in need of finding a conductor plate, or trying to reseat the brass insert into the plastic conductor plate. Does anyone know where I can find a new plate, or any quick fixes on the old one?

Old 09-02-2012, 11:20 AM
Default Talk about Slow Progress.....

I know, I know. It's been a while. I'm supposed to be retired, but back working full time again as a contractor consultant to my old company.

So, here's where I am. I put the XKR up on my lift and was able to see the tone rings in the hubs from the inside. I was able to physically push them with a long screwdriver but could not detect any movement from them. Since they are a press fit and the looseness that Andy94SC was experiencing may have been very slight, I'm not convinced that is not still my problem.

So, since I'm seriously lacking time, I caved and took the XKR to a place about 25 miles away who does work on Euro cars. He primarily works on Merc, but does a bit of Jag work.

The interesting thing is, the XKR has sat for about 3 months on a battery tender but not been driven. With all the failures I had in a short 7 mile ride earlier, you can imagine my trepidation about driving that far through the Georgia countryside to this repair shop. I had my wife behind me and the phone number to a local tow shop in my iphone contacts list.

I babied the right pedal all the way there and never got over about 58 mph. But had NO FAILURES AT ALL!!!! Glad I didn't have to call the tow shop, but now I'm really confused.

So, when I got it there, I told the shop owner to feel free to take it for an aggressive test drive to see if it fails for him. He's pretty popular around there and said it would be a few days. I've not called him back yet to see where he is with it, but I'm just wondering if there's any thought about no failures? I wasn't driving it hard before when it failed, but I was consciously easy on it during this trip. Keep in mind one of the prior failures was at about 55 mph with a steady pedal on flat straight road.

Is there any chance that by having drained/refilled the fluid and changed the filter I needed to give the tranny more than a few miles to purge any residual air in the valve body? I can't imagine that it wouldn't self flush immediately, but who knows? Thoughts anyone?

Old 06-10-2016, 11:47 AM

100th Deuce, Did you ever get your problem resolved? I'm experiencing nearly the same thing with my '01 XKR. It has only 38k miles, and I've owned it for all of them. The problem just started happening this year. :-/

Old 06-10-2016, 02:00 PM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a 2002 XKR100 and soon after I bought it about 18 months ago the transmission acted very similar to yours and would come out of gear in left hand sweepers. It did not matter what gear it was in at the time. I did everything that you did to try to correct the problem in addition to replacing the conductor board. I also replaced the TCM. The fluid that I changed was clean. Still,nothing helped. When the car came out of gear , most of the time it would eventually go back into gear but I found that if I stopped quickly and turned the car off and back on, the transmission would reset and be fine for a while. I did get a code from time to time but I cannot remember which one. I'll look for it later.

Now for the revelation: During this frustrating time I found that the right rear wheel had a lot of lost motion and I just guessed that the wheel bearings were bad even though there was no noise. Upon disassembly,I found that the wheel hub was worn where it presses into the inner race. It had so much wear that the ABS serrated ring slipped around freely. I replaced the hub and bearings and from that point forward the gearbox never had another problem. I spoke to a MB technician with a lot of experience on 722.6 transmissions and he said that the TCM does get an input from the ABS speed sensors. I'm glad I did not install my spare transmission because I don't think it would have solved the problem.

The following 2 users liked this post by homebeforedark:
Danzio63 (06-12-2016), EZDriver (06-11-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 10:42 PM

I could never find the problem and after owning the car for over two years and only putting on 385 miles (because I couldn't trust it) we traded it for a new BMW Z4 roadster. The repair guy kept the car for almost a month and drove it to lunch, the parts store and generally just around town...it never failed on him. When I got it back, we took it for a top down ride thru the country and after about 30 minutes it failed...again on a straight stretch of road running 55-60. Nothing stressing a potentially worn hub or loose tone ring.

I had purchased the Jag diagnostic tool from a forum member and pulled the codes regularly. It was throwing everything from windshield wiper errors to brakes, tranny, door locks and buss errors. I began to suspect bad grounding or some other noise on the buss. Ultimately it wasn't worth the time and effort. Since it screwed up on the very first ride off the delivery truck, we never bonded and it was a very pretty pain in my bee-hind from the start. No love lost and a hearty adios when it was gone.

I still have the diag tool if you want it. It's just sitting in my shop and I don't have a Jag any more. I think I paid a buk-n-a-half for it back then and it should still be fine for your year XKR, but it's not doing me any good now. Pay shipping and it's yours. Let me know.

In fact, I've got a few other items left over if you or anyone else is interested. I've got a jug of unopened Jaguar brand antifreeze, a brand new OE serpentine belt and a few other pieces. I'll look in the Jag parts bin tomorrow and see what all is in there...don't think there's much else but I'll post up what's there. I might take a nickel or two plus shipping for some of it cuz nothing from Jag was cheap.

Later,
Paul

Old 06-13-2016, 07:41 AM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Paul,
Sorry your XKR experience was a lousy one. They can be a lot of fun but very irritating when broken. It's hard to believe since almost all of the controls are made in Germany. What diagnostic tool do you have? It sounds more sophisticated than mine since it picks up wiper and door codes. I guess it communicates with the body control module. I'm interested in what you have so send me a PM. I'm probably close enough to stop by on my way to the N.GA. Mountains.
Alan T

Old 06-13-2016, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by homebeforedark
Paul,
Sorry your XKR experience was a lousy one. They can be a lot of fun but very irritating when broken. It's hard to believe since almost all of the controls are made in Germany. What diagnostic tool do you have? It sounds more sophisticated than mine since it picks up wiper and door codes. I guess it communicates with the body control module. I'm interested in what you have so send me a PM. I'm probably close enough to stop by on my way to the N.GA. Mountains.
Alan T
PM Sent.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:50 AM
Default Transmission moving from D to neutral but drives okay in other gears.

I have the same problem. The service shop adjusted the cable but I still have the same problem. Did you ever resolve your issue?

Old 05-29-2017, 06:16 PM

I took my XKR in to a local shop that had the proper equipment to check the trans fluid level, and it was found to be dangerously low. They topped off the fluid and repaired the small leak; I haven't had any problems since -- a relatively inexpensive fix!