XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

XKR Vibration at 70 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 12:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default XKR Vibration at 70 MPH

Hello all. I have a 2004 XKR with 67k miles. I developed a steering wheel vibration following some repair work. The vibration is fairly severe and occurs at about 70 mph. If I let off the accelerator, it goes away. It is not affected by braking. The work I had done included replacement of rear brake pads and rotors, replacement of left ride height sensor, replaced both outer tie rod ends, replaced supercharger and serpentine belts, replaced front level sensor, four wheel alignment, replaced front shocks and upper shock mounts, replaced front antisway bar links, and oil/filter change. As stated the vibration did not occur prior to the work being performed. I just purchased the car and drove it about 350 miles after purchase with no vibration. Any ideas of where to start troubleshooting? The shop suggests the road force balancing but that doesn't make much sense as no work was done on tires. Thanks for any help on this matter. This is my first Jag and I already have about 6k worth of repairs, not ready to give up on this work of art!

Old 12-16-2020, 12:59 PM
GGG
Received 16,865 Likes on 12,186 Posts

I've moved your question from X150 to X100 forum. This is the place to post technical questions about your model.

Graham

Old 12-16-2020, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,273 Likes on 699 Posts

Sorry but it seems downright negligent to have not balanced the tires while they were off the car for such an extensive repair list. Surprised your shop would even allow that.

Anything could have happened while the tires were off. Perhaps one lost a weight. I would do the balance with proper tire pressures and see where you end up after.

Probably should have done the upper control arm bushings while you that deep into the front suspension. However those are easily doable with removing the struts later.

These cars are finicky about alignment/balance. But once it is right the ride is glorious. I am confident you will get it sorted.

Nice car choice too though I am a bit biased.

Not many R models in that salsa red color. Its a keeper.

The following users liked this post:
Barry Leftwich (12-17-2020)
Old 12-17-2020, 03:45 AM
Received 123 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by boseafish
Hello all. I have a 2004 XKR with 67k miles. I developed a steering wheel vibration following some repair work. The vibration is fairly severe and occurs at about 70 mph. If I let off the accelerator, it goes away. It is not affected by braking. The work I had done included replacement of rear brake pads and rotors, replacement of left ride height sensor, replaced both outer tie rod ends, replaced supercharger and serpentine belts, replaced front level sensor, four wheel alignment, replaced front shocks and upper shock mounts, replaced front antisway bar links, and oil/filter change. As stated the vibration did not occur prior to the work being performed. I just purchased the car and drove it about 350 miles after purchase with no vibration. Any ideas of where to start troubleshooting? The shop suggests the road force balancing but that doesn't make much sense as no work was done on tires. Thanks for any help on this matter. This is my first Jag and I already have about 6k worth of repairs, not ready to give up on this work of art!
sounds like you need to rebalance your tires.Back in my younger life and early 20s and big rims where a thing back then and I really liked them.Well i didn't know any better purchasing my 1st car and didn't know too much about wheels back then and called myself buying 22 inch big rims and slapped then on a 99 Ford Taurus.I called myself putting the rims on myself and thought that's all i needed do and (buzz)WRONG!!!!!!!Steering wheel was about to jump off the car when i reach speeds over 40mph and took it to a tire shop and figure i put the rims on wrong since that didn't started happening until i put those new rims i got on.So at the tire shop they asked me did I balance the tires and I said what's that?...Long story short,Tire balancing fixed my problem.So go get your tires checked out and see if that helps cause if u took the tires off the car,a weight sounds like it probably fell off the wheels or something when you was getting some work done to your brakes

Old 12-17-2020, 06:25 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alright then, sounds like a road force balancing is in order... surprised as no work was done on the tires but surely a weight may have shifted or fallen off. I will report back when finished, must wait for the snow melt first!