XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

XKRs are scarce in these parts

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts
Default XKRs are scarce in these parts

I passed by the local Sport and Import dealer the other day and sitting there was an '03 XKR vert, ebony and black with cashmere interior. It's only the 2nd XKR I've ever seen in my small city. So I had to stop and have a look. 80K mile Texas car that has a new top, great interior but serious paint fading on the hood and the top of both rear quarter panels and all of the chrome wheels would need to be refurbished. The car is far from mint. So I asked what the money was and was told $26,000. I said seriously dude, that seems a bit off market and the car needs a whole repaint, what is your best cash deal, as is? His response was $25,999, it's the only XKR for miles. It sucks to have something so scarce, so near but priced like treasure. Sigh... Great part of the world I live in, unless you want an XKR.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:41 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Few weeks ago was my first and only time purchasing a high cost (relative) item such as a car (2003 XK8) on Ebay. I did my due diligence though. Seller had excellent ratings and agreed to bring it to a repair shop I picked to have the car checked out. With those results, pictures and time to get very comfortable with the seller, I bought it sight unseen. After living with the car now for a few weeks it is one of the best purchases I've ever made.

I used a fantastic broker to help with shipping and it arrived in a really nice closed truck; same one that picked it up in Texas arrived here in the Bay Area of California.

The world is a much smaller place than it used to be -)

PS: Love your avatar. I saw the Riders when Garcia played Steel Pedal for them. First time was April 28, 1971 at the Fillmore East. After hundreds of shows that one still remains the best of the best.

-T

Old 09-02-2011, 01:45 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

I flew a little over 500 miles to get mine and drove it back.

After about 3-4 months of looking in my area I could not find one that I would buy.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Yes, don't be afraid to consider vehicles listed on the internet. eBay is probably the safest, with the other larger sites not far behind. Just be sure to hire an independent inspector, preferrably the nearest Jag dealer. They charge a little more but do a very thorough inspection, and will email you a report with pictures.

If you only consider local cars, as comforting as it is, you will severly limit your choices. Also, trucking a vehicle is not as expensive as you might think.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also flew out to look at my car (around 450 miles) and drove it back. I would highly recommend it, and the drive back gives you a great chance to get to know the car. Btw, $26k is way over blue book for that car. Before I found my car I had been looking at an '03 XK8 which was priced at $18,500, and it had no major finish issues and only 64k miles on it, and even that was around $300 over blue book. I highly recommend looking around online if you're actually serious about buying one.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:35 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

If it is just the faded paint!?.
is it a 4.0 or 4.2?
maybe the rest of the car is in prestine condition and did the owner everything to keep it in top condition except that he had to leave it out in the sun too often

Old 09-02-2011, 03:48 PM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm with you, Terrapin. I never saw Garcia live, and I bought that LP way before I even knew his name, but his take on "Dirty Business" is still one of the most amazing things I have ever heard.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

I also found my 2002 XKR on Ebay, bid on it and was well below the reserve price when the auction ended. Two days later, the seller emailed me a second chance offer at my bid price, which was a little over $15,000 (this was two years ago). Since the car was about 300 miles north of Los Angeles, I rented a car that I could leave at the destination city if I so chose and headed north. When I got there, the car was in nearly mint condition, had 60K miles, but most importantly, had a 2" thick file of every service ever done on the car from new at the Jaguar dealer from which it was purchased. The price I paid two years ago was probably $5K less than most good condition XKR's I had looked at, and I love driving the car and its beautiful, classic shape. i can't say I haven't put the five grand back in fixing the dreaded hydraulic rain shower and a myriad of abs/traction control warnings, but of the 25 or so cars I have owned this car has an incredible "bang for buck" value. I probably paid less for it than a five year old Toyota Camry, but nobody believes me when I tell them that "This is one of the least expensive cars I have ever purchased."

Attached Thumbnails XKRs are scarce in these parts-dscf1284-640x480-.jpg  
Old 09-02-2011, 04:10 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

2003 Jaguar XK Series - - Red Deer Cars For Sale - Kijiji Red Deer Canada.

Would this be the one?

Is there really a town called Red Deer?

Last edited by landmannnn; 09-02-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:39 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jump one province over and you will find a town called Moose Jaw. In fact, there are a lot of idiotic names throughout North America!

Old 09-03-2011, 12:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by landmannnn
2003 Jaguar XK Series - - Red Deer Cars For Sale - Kijiji Red Deer Canada.

Would this be the one?

Is there really a town called Red Deer?
That's it. I see he has already come down a grand since I balked at his original asking price. The photos don't show the sun bleached paint on the rear quarters and around the bonnet louver areas.

Being aware that this price is well over what it should be was exactly what I was lamenting. When I see fellas on the forum asking what a fair price is for an X or S or even an XKR, it really depends on what market you are in. what country too. Ask our Aussie friends. Around here Jags can still command a pretty penny.

By the way I traveled to Scottsdale, Az and drove my X-Type the 1400 miles back after purchasing it there. At that time, and a bit before it became a popular thing for Canadians to do, I saved about $3,000 after tax and duty and import fees over anything I could have done within a few hundred miles of here. Yes, here in Red Deer. It is the name of a city.

As far as NRPS goes, the first time I saw them live was in '74 but Garcia didn't play with them. I was quite an early Dead fan but New Riders were 100 times better in my book. I actually wept a little when John "Marmaduke" Dawson died a couple years ago. David Nelson and Buddy Cage are still at it under the New Riders of The Purple Sage name. Check out http://www.nrpsmusic.com/ for a date near you. But, I digress...this post was originally about prices being way more around here than in the US or UK.

PS I will be serious when it's a quick thing to do. You know, before Momma Bear has a chance to say "no"!

Last edited by mohrd; 09-03-2011 at 12:32 AM. Reason: had to stick a plug in for New Riders Unite
Old 09-03-2011, 12:30 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh Red Deer??? The half way house between Calgary and Edmonton. Being from Edmonton I know exactly what you meek by scarce!

2 months ago a bought an 03 XKR with 80k miles and paid 18,000. It had about 5000-6000$ in recent service bills 3 months remaining extended warranty and in great shape! It's blk on blk with 20" Detroit bbs! Not a vert though.

I feel the price was a little heavy but thought once I picked one out in the US spent time and money getting it here, then converting it I would likely end up at that price or pretty close to it.

The problem is that once I drove it (hence the login name) I had to have it right then and there.

I feel that it was almost a fluke, because that is (IMO) one of the most iconic Jags (blk on blk coupe) and it seemed special to have.

I check kijiji every now and then and see others with 02's and 01's for over 25k$ ive even seen I think an 04 or 05 for 40k$ (way over priced) as long as you are happy everytime you put it into "D" then who cares!

P.S
Mine is not for sale!
& good luck on the hunt!
-Sean

Old 09-03-2011, 01:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

I flew from Dallas to Naples, FL just last week to pick up my XKR and drove it back, 1350 miles; my sister flew down to help me drive it back, we had a great time. I found it on eBay. It's a 2002 Quartz (gray) and Oatmeal (tan) with 34k miles in near mint condition. All I had to do was have the headliner fixed for $300. Paid $20k for it, which is a little under blue book. You don't often see an XKR with that few miles for that price, even on eBay. I've seen '01s with 2 to 3 times the miles for $23k.

This is the 2nd car and 2nd Jag I bought off eBay; got an X-Type off eBay last year. eBay is a great site and if you spend time looking, you can get great deals, but not everything listed there is a great deal.

Mark

Old 09-05-2011, 12:05 AM
Location: Marin County, CA, USA - Just north of San Francisco
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Red Deer - I know where I'll try and go when I want to sell mine! DaleD

Old 09-05-2011, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by loveatfirstsight
Oh Red Deer??? The half way house between Calgary and Edmonton. Being from Edmonton I know exactly what you meek by scarce!

I check kijiji every now and then and see others with 02's and 01's for over 25k$ ive even seen I think an 04 or 05 for 40k$ (way over priced) as long as you are happy everytime you put it into "D" then who cares!
Sean knows what I'm talking about. Of course, I did come across what I would really like XKR wise in this:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/120771769724?...84.m1423.l2649

But, is it just me our does that front bumper cover seem to be a different color than the bonnet?

I can't think of any way to convince Momma Bear because I can't just jump on it and beg for forgiveness, AGAIN. It would take a lot of planning to get it home.

Last edited by mohrd; 09-05-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:53 PM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mohrd
I can't think of any way to convince Momma Bear because I can't just jump on it and beg for forgiveness, AGAIN. It would take a lot of planning to get it home.
I may be getting a bit off topic here but as loveatfirstsight mentioned how the screen name came to be, with the above quote I've got to jump in.

28 years ago I very much wanted a full-size Ford Bronco. Our kids were little and we went camping and skiing quite often and this was a great choice. Unfortunately I just couldn't convince Momma Bear. After three years of begging, cajoling, whining, convincing, etc, I was completely unsuccessful. One day I helped out a colleague by picking him up at his mechanic and giving him a ride to work while his vehicle was being serviced. It was a '69 Corvette in beautiful condition. He only drove it on weekends during nice weather. I went home and told Momma Bear about it and that I'd changed my mind, now I wanted a Corvette. Within milliseconds I was told to go get the Bronco. For that Christmas I received from Momma Bear a license plate, "BEG3YRS".

Maybe it would be fun to start a thread for others to share their screen name stories.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:39 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by beg3yrs
I may be getting a bit off topic here but as loveatfirstsight mentioned how the screen name came to be, with the above quote I've got to jump in.

28 years ago I very much wanted a full-size Ford Bronco. Our kids were little and we went camping and skiing quite often and this was a great choice. Unfortunately I just couldn't convince Momma Bear. After three years of begging, cajoling, whining, convincing, etc, I was completely unsuccessful. One day I helped out a colleague by picking him up at his mechanic and giving him a ride to work while his vehicle was being serviced. It was a '69 Corvette in beautiful condition. He only drove it on weekends during nice weather. I went home and told Momma Bear about it and that I'd changed my mind, now I wanted a Corvette. Within milliseconds I was told to go get the Bronco. For that Christmas I received from Momma Bear a license plate, "BEG3YRS".

Maybe it would be fun to start a thread for others to share their screen name stories.
I laughed out loud. Great story and nice to have a personal plate from your Momma Bear that can make you smile each time you see it.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by mohrd
But, is it just me our does that front bumper cover seem to be a different color than the bonnet?
They all do. The front bumper cover is plastic. The rest of the body is metal. At certain angles it will always look different, and I'm not just talking about Jags. My friend's 350z is like that as, as well as all of the rest of them. Some colors hide it better.