XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Yep - Yet another Failsafe Mode Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 07:49 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

With all the dialogue is it important or coincidental? Right now I could not tell you either way.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:40 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

on my 97 xk8 it wouldnt start one time and no one could figure it out. I took it to serveral shops including a jaguar dealer and no one could start it. the jag dealer said i needed a new ecm. so I put a new ecm in it and it still wouldnt start. the jag dealer tried to say that it was the wrong ecm so right then and there i knew that the jag dealer didnt know what he was doing. i finally took it to this guy who work on jags and he found that the transmission rotary switch was the problem. that switch has like ten wires on it so it could cause a engine failsafe mode and not let the car start. do it crank but dont start? if so that sounds like the rotary switch

Old 09-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Did it let you start it when the car cooled down?

Old 09-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Next on my list

Originally Posted by xjrguy
I think I mentioned this before. I'll not be happy until that fusebox by the washer fill neck is substituted. Internal connections in there can get intermittent, especially when hot.

Cheers,
I'm going to make that fuse box the next thing on my list.

Thanks,

Old 09-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Default Ordering a new one today

Originally Posted by mike66
I remember reading in Nigel Thorley's book that the rotary switch on the early XK8's transmission can give a lot of trouble with oddball problems and messages. Don't know if there's a way to test it though.
Since I've discovered the car will drop the failsafe and actually start when put in neutral, I'm ordering a new switch today.

Can anyone provide me with the manufacturers name for this switch?

Or better yet a part number?

Thanks,

Old 09-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Default Nope - these appear to be good

Originally Posted by Spurlee
There are two hoses that heat the Throttle body. They enter and exit the TB on the backside by the firewall. Make sure they are not kinked or collapsed, replace with regular hose, no need to buy $$$ formed hoses, just use enough to make nice round corners.

Make sure coolant is flowing through them.

Also, make absolutely sure that the 4 wire plug on the TB is seated and remains seated while operating. I put a set screw in mine.

Good hunting!

Good luck
The tech checked the coolant hoses to the throttle body when the throttle body was replaced. They appear to be clear, and in good condition. The 4 wire plug is in good condition, with the catch still intact. I did coat the female side with dilectric grease and reseat it. None of this had any effect on the failsafe probelm.

But thanks for the tip nevertheless.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:46 PM
Default Code capture

Originally Posted by Gus
Are you able to capture the FailSafe code?
No. Even when the car is in failsafe, an OBDII reader only picks up the P1111 system check - pass code. I have been considering purchasing a code reader and leaving it hooked up while driving just to see if it will pick anything up.

Thanks,

The following users liked this post:
Gus (09-06-2011)
Old 09-06-2011, 12:55 PM
Default Interesting reading

Originally Posted by xjrguy
This is what he really needs, the non-generic code or codes that are generated after a no start/engine failsafe incident. The code we are interested in may not be visible to generic scantools sometimes.

For the most part I would discount the trans rotary switch for this, in my experience that throws a 'Restricted Performance' message. That is not concrete though, it still could play a roll.

For some reason oldfart's car is entering 'shutdown mode', which prevents it from running. The attached excerpt of a bulletin helps explain the various faults and messages. When reading it thoroughly you get the idea that he is dealing with a 'multiple failure' situation, which is why I am stuck on that fuse box; or relays actually. I know he says he has moved the relays around, I would like to see them substituted.

Cheers,
Thanks for that flow chart. After reading it twice (and need to read it a few more times) it appears I'm also experiencing the poor throttle resposne described.

But I'll need to read it a few more times to figure out what needs to be done.

Thanks

Old 09-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Default OBDII reader

Originally Posted by Gus
Steve,

You know we keep dancing around on this project with TB, MAFS, Eng Temp and a host of other stuff but we keep getting a Failsafe and a no start until it cools down. So many things were covered I lost track. I personally keep going back to the TB. Why? I recently had Restricted Performance that did not bring up a code so I plugged in my OBDII and went for a drive RP came up and cleared on the dash but I caught it on the OBDII reader and it was the knock sensor, replaced it and all was good. It seems that every time this car gets up to operating temperature it shuts down and will not start. If this were my car I would plug in the OBDII reader and when it stopped or failed to start I would install a fuel pressure gauge and check for spark on the spot. I went to the onelines briefly and was unable to find anything that would prevent the car from starting that has not been covered. Is it electrical or mechanical? I like your flow chart and might be the answer to the problem. Right now I could not get there because I am overwhelmed with what was done so far. As for the transmission switch I was working with another guy trying to find a problem with his transmission and we found that the wire that is solder in the plug inside the trans was loose, re-soldered and he was up and running…
Gus,

I believe you have a point. before throwing yet more money at this, I should invest in an OBDII reader, hook it up and drive and see if it will tell me something.

I'm pretty much limited to NAPA here on the island. Does anyone know if they carry an OBDII reader that would be suitable for this cause and maybe one that can be recommended over another? I know they carry a few different brands, but I'm not sure which is the better one.

Thanks,

Old 09-06-2011, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

A common weakness in these cars is the brake light/cruise control switch. If this switch is failing, it can set the failsafe light off in the early models. This part is not expensive but tricky to install. It is related to the cruise control as the brake light switch also houses the cruise control shut off switch. I tried to read some of the comments and did not see any mention of looking at this switch. My other way to deal with this would be when it seems like everything is going wrong at once, be suspicious of the center of everything, the ECM. You can remove this and send it to a rebuilder for $500. Before I did this, I would remove all the plugs on the ECM and clean them with electronics contact cleaner, both male and female sides.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:49 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OldFart
No. Even when the car is in failsafe, an OBDII reader only picks up the P1111 system check - pass code. I have been considering purchasing a code reader and leaving it hooked up while driving just to see if it will pick anything up.

Thanks,
Not all OBDII readers will read trans and other codes so a standard reader may not capture the problem but it is worth a try. It may capture a code to lead you to it. Question, what are you doing each time this car goes into FailSafe? Could it be the same thing every time?

Old 09-06-2011, 04:53 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by oldmots
A common weakness in these cars is the brake light/cruise control switch. If this switch is failing, it can set the failsafe light off in the early models. This part is not expensive but tricky to install. It is related to the cruise control as the brake light switch also houses the cruise control shut off switch. I tried to read some of the comments and did not see any mention of looking at this switch. My other way to deal with this would be when it seems like everything is going wrong at once, be suspicious of the center of everything, the ECM. You can remove this and send it to a rebuilder for $500. Before I did this, I would remove all the plugs on the ECM and clean them with electronics contact cleaner, both male and female sides.
From the many posts I have seen I can say the this car has a problem with poor connections and cleaning them is the right thing to do. Every plug I come across I pull it apart and clean both sides and check it to be a tight fit.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check fuel pressure regulator and Are you using super unleaded 93 fuel ?

Old 09-07-2011, 09:36 AM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus
From the many posts I have seen I can say the this car has a problem with poor connections and cleaning them is the right thing to do. Every plug I come across I pull it apart and clean both sides and check it to be a tight fit.
Exactly right! And you cannot overlook/rule out possible board connections within fuse/power boxes or pass-through power studs and fusebox power studs.

Cheers,

Old 09-08-2011, 01:41 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

gus if you were replying to me, the answer is no. when my transmission position switch took a dump the car did not get any spark from the ignition modules. on both banks. but it did have fuel. but you know that brake switch need to be replaced on early models also. i replaced mine as preventive maintenance for just 50 bucks. too bad im having a gearbox fault now. I know its the tranny. I just want to take the tranny and engine out of it and fix every thing like tensioners etc... trans and put it back together right.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:28 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by nine7xk8
gus if you were replying to me, the answer is no. when my transmission position switch took a dump the car did not get any spark from the ignition modules. on both banks. but it did have fuel. but you know that brake switch need to be replaced on early models also. i replaced mine as preventive maintenance for just 50 bucks. too bad im having a gearbox fault now. I know its the tranny. I just want to take the tranny and engine out of it and fix every thing like tensioners etc... trans and put it back together right.
No the problem was on a 1995 XJ and it took about a week to find because the bad connection was in the transmission on a new harness and we felt it should not be part of the problem. We soon found that we were wrong. But your point is well taken.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by OldFart
Since I've discovered the car will drop the failsafe and actually start when put in neutral, I'm ordering a new switch today.

Can anyone provide me with the manufacturers name for this switch?

Or better yet a part number?

Thanks,
They simply call it a rotary switch; Part Number LJA6201AD currently.

Cheers,

Old 09-08-2011, 08:01 PM
Received 141 Likes on 125 Posts

New over $500, used at motorcars Ltd about $225. Yikes! Wonder if there's a way of testing yours? Any of you tech guys out there know, or is it substitute and see? Seeing how its a switch, maybe a schematic exists out there where it can be bench tested for continuity?

Old 09-08-2011, 08:15 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Check to see if the shifter cable is loose and it is a simple fix. If that is not the case then the only way is to remove it and test the positions. The unit from what I recall is riveted closed and to open it you stand a chance to create an opportunity to replace it.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by mike66
New over $500, used at motorcars Ltd about $225. Yikes! Wonder if there's a way of testing yours? Any of you tech guys out there know, or is it substitute and see? Seeing how its a switch, maybe a schematic exists out there where it can be bench tested for continuity?
Here is what you need to test the rotary switch. It's actually best to do it while it is mounted on the trans. Just remember, you have to test the resistance of ALL the switches in each gear position; for instance, in Reverse switches L1, L3 and L4 are closed and L2 is open.

Cheers,

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Rotary Switch 5HP24.pdf (172.1 KB, 160 views)
The following users liked this post:
mike66 (09-09-2011)

Quick Reply: Yep - Yet another Failsafe Mode Issue