XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Yet Another New Stereo Install Thread (YANSIT)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 02:51 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts
Default Yet Another New Stereo Install Thread (YANSIT)

Had the OEM Premium Alpine with NAV in my 2003 XKR replaced.

I went with the JVC AV41-BT. I also replaced the retracting ariel with a hidden one in the trunk.

The head unit allowed for integration with TPMS and a Backup Camera. I think I need to drop my pressures a bit.

Attached Thumbnails Yet Another New Stereo Install Thread (YANSIT)-jag-stereo-8.jpg   Yet Another New Stereo Install Thread (YANSIT)-jag-stereo-3.jpg   Yet Another New Stereo Install Thread (YANSIT)-jag-stereo-5.jpg   Yet Another New Stereo Install Thread (YANSIT)-jag-stereo-7.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Ungn (09-07-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 02:52 PM
Received 295 Likes on 177 Posts

Looks NICE! Enjoy!!

Old 09-06-2016, 03:12 PM
Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

Looks good.

Did you lose steering wheel controls?

How does it sound compared to the stock? Honestly.

The dash kit?

Old 09-06-2016, 03:27 PM
dsd
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Anthony8858
Looks good.

Did you lose steering wheel controls?

How does it sound compared to the stock? Honestly.

The dash kit?
I retained steering wheel control. I'm not an audiophile by any stretch-- the install bypassed the oem amp and goes direct. It sounds fine to me. Or as my installer said-- "it sounds as expected" which I take as an overall "meh". However, BT streamed audio sounds way better than via the cassette adapter :-)

Sound wise, I'm happy. It's not the greatest head unit but was the only major brand that had the screen in 1 DIN. .

The dash kit is the 1997 1DIN xk8 surround with the Nexxis bezel. TPMS is Steelmate tp-05. Backup camera is a Boyo. Steering wheel controls are PAC. Antenna is Metra.

Old 09-06-2016, 04:55 PM
Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by dsd
I retained steering wheel control. I'm not an audiophile by any stretch-- the install bypassed the oem amp and goes direct. It sounds fine to me. Or as my installer said-- "it sounds as expected" which I take as an overall "meh". However, BT streamed audio sounds way better than via the cassette adapter :-)

Sound wise, I'm happy. It's not the greatest head unit but was the only major brand that had the screen in 1 DIN. .

The dash kit is the 1997 1DIN xk8 surround with the Nexxis bezel. TPMS is Steelmate tp-05. Backup camera is a Boyo. Steering wheel controls are PAC. Antenna is Metra.
Thank you.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

That radio seems the treat for my Pontiac 2+2 open road race car. We are always checking the tire pressure and remove the rear view mirror during the race for better video, so a backup camera would be cool.

What did you have to add for tire pressure?

Thanks for the info!

Old 09-07-2016, 12:42 PM
dsd
Veteran Member

There are a bunch of cool TPMS Solutions for this. I've retrofitted 3 cars now, and have used a few different solutions.

They all boil down to a few things:

Senor Types:
Internal - mounted inside, replaces existing TPMS sensor, or a net new. Sealed Battery, usual lifetime 3-5 years

External - attaches as a valve stem cover. Field replaceable battery lasts a year.

Readers:
Bluetooth - Bluetooth sensor pickups up signal and displays to smart app
Standalone - dedicated receiver/monitor that displays information
A/V - Integrates to existing or new system in car. Most in this category will have a video in/video out to intercept your backup camera signal.

These products are available on eBay or Amazon by various Chinese manufacturers that have little US presence. I have been very happy with Steel-Mate, they are a pretty big presence in China so I think they will be around a while. Look at their web site or check amazon for TPMS monitors.

Old 10-08-2016, 06:47 AM
dsd
Veteran Member

Quick update, radio reception was pretty bad. The powered antenna was actually behind the head unit, not trunk. We relocated it to the Right A-Pilar (hidden under the panel) and I'm all good. Just an FYI, if someone is looking for antenna location.