XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Z Eff-Off 5hp24 overfilled

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2022, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

Deleted...

Last edited by JayJagJay; 04-15-2022 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-15-2022, 01:44 PM
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I just did a quick video, it sounds worse on here than in person (or maybe I’m just used to it!). Also the lawnmower next door was quite loud…

The following users liked this post:
volkris (09-29-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,556 Posts

Originally Posted by Dickiederson
What a horrible job - it would be much easier with a proper lift I'm sure or at least not working under 10" ramps - it's lucky I'm skinny... :-/
It's not the easiest job without a lift, but there are worse....

So the filter change hasn't Made much of a difference to my rattle - there was some grey sludge on the magnets and the fluid was a bit murky but I couldn't smell any burning..
That's what I found when I did the job @ about 33k miles. If there are no metal shavings in there you're most likely OK.

If you're planning to do another drain/fill, then go ahead with a pukka OE filter and fresh fluid as that way you will further dilute what remains of the old stuff in the TC. What did you choose for the replacement fluid?

Odd that the rattle seems to vary dependent on the A/C compressor activating as that indicates the issue may be somewhere in the accessory drive train.

Does the ABS light appear immediately when you start up the car or only after a trip?

Don B (04-15-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 05:21 PM

Thanks Michael I think I'll put a few miles on It and change the filter and fluid again when I get into my garage.
We're buying our first house at the moment so the Jag doesn't have great timing but hopefully she can stay in one piece for a few more weeks....!

I used Valvoline Maxlife fluid because it's rated for LT41171 - I debated getting the proper stuff but maybe I'll do that after a could more flushes...

And yeah the A/C load affecting the rattle is weird... I note that in the ZF guide to refilling the tranny it specifies running the A/C to get the most about of fluid in the transmission so I guess it makes sense somehow. It does seem to be accessory line related though as the noise is affected by electrical load like the rear demister or fog lights....

I did record a video of the whole thing but when I didn't have a triumphant ending I couldn't face posting it!

At the moment the ABS light seems to remain on 90% of the time after starting the engine.
I'd say 80% of the time that is followed by the "Stability Control Fail" amber warnig message... it also seems like on the times the warnings do not pop up, the cars seems livelier and more free revving. But that might just be some mental association I have causing feelings of depression and inadequacy when I see a warning light on a dash...

CA Jag (04-29-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,556 Posts

Hi,
Certainly put a few miles on to give the fluid time to circulate before you do another drain/fill.

Just curious about the choice of fluid as there was much debate when LT71141 was the price of liquid gold. ZF used to mandate Lifeguard 5 (which is the same stuff) in the 5HP else the world would stop turning. I did as I managed a good deal on a 20 litre drum from the company that supplies our central heating oil ('temperate' climate here), but there are several alternatives these days.

Electrical load (think alternator) also translates to accessory train load so essentially the same thing. Power steering - does turning the steering wheel have any effect?

If you're seeing the ABS warning at start-up, it's likely the ABS motor power supply connector issue. Wiggling the plug used to make it go away on mine for a while until it eventually became more permanent and I had to get the hacksaw and soldering iron out.

Good luck on the house move. That's something that should be fairly painless but it never is...

Don B (04-15-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 11:32 PM
Received 13,255 Likes on 6,562 Posts

I used Valvoline Maxlife fluid because it's rated for LT41171 - I debated getting the proper stuff but maybe I'll do that after a could more flushes...

Please forgive me, but I'm about to get on my soapbox!

One thing we've learned is that Valvoline cannot be trusted regarding the specifications its fluids are claimed to meet. Apparently, they are able to offer fluids at lower prices by compromizing the formulations to make them "suitable" or "just good enough" for use in a wide variety of vehicles. But a fluid "good enough" for use in so many gearboxes can't possibly be optimal for use in any of them.

For example, Valvoline claims its MaxLife Import Multi-Vehicle Transmission Fluid is suitable for use in ZF 3-speed, 4-speed, 5-speed, 6-speed, 8-speed and 9-speed transmissions. Yet ZF insists that the 3-/4-, 5-, 6-, and 8-/9-speed boxes require four different fluids, and if you check the Material Data Safety Sheets for those fluids, you'll find that their chemical properties are quite different from one another.

As another example, Valvoline claims that this same fluid is suitable for use in Ford vehicles that require Mercon SP, Mercon V or Mercon LV. Yet Ford insists that these fluids are not interchangeable and, for example, Mercon LV must never be used in a transmission that requires Mercon V, and vice-versa. By the way, Mercon SP is equivalent to ZF Lifeguard 6, which is VERY differrent from Lifeguard 5, yet Valvoline claims their fluid is a suitable replacement for both!

Here's a link to the product info sheet in which Valvoline makes its implausible claims:

Valvoline MaxLife Import Multi-Vehicle Transmission Fluid Product Sheet

The fluids I am aware of that are correct for use in the ZF 5HP24 are:

ZF Lifeguard 5
ESSO LT 71141
Febi Automatikgetriebeol (ATF) Nr. 29738
VW/Audi G 052 162 A2
Pentosin ATF 1
Ravenol ATF 4/5 HP

In the U.S., I have found the best availability and pricing on the Febi and Pentosin fluids.

Sorry to rant, but Valvoline's application claims are one of my pet peeves.

Cheers,

Don

Attached Files

Last edited by Don B; 05-21-2022 at 07:10 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Don B:
CA Jag (09-28-2022), Dickiederson (04-16-2022), Jon89 (04-16-2022)
Old 09-27-2022, 01:05 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I had the same issue on my X308 (which also has the 5HP24) and ended up replacing the entire transmission and torque converter with a second hand one.

Now that I have bought a second X308, I'm running into the exact same issue. I'm curious to what the actual problem is, before replacing the transmission again.

Your symptoms and the sound on the video are the same as mine. At cold start it is noticeable but it gets worse when the idle settles.

I would love to hear from you and what progress (if any) you've made or news you might have 😁

Last edited by Terryble; 09-27-2022 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-27-2022, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 503 Posts

After 1500 miles mine is still silent ..go figure

Old 09-27-2022, 02:54 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Pistnbroke,

When the time my gearbox made a strange noise, I also made a video where the sound can be heard well (without any lawnmowers ).
​​​​​​​

Was the sound you had by any chance exactly the same?

With this 'noisy' gearbox I had recently replaced the fluid and filter with a kit from a site called britishparts.co.uk. It wasn't too expensive for a probably failing gearbox (or so I thought ).
It contained a fluid called 'Granville ATF MV (multi vehicle)' and also came with a (probably) a not-so-German filter.

With the posts in this forum I'm starting to have my doubts whether my old gearbox really was broken, or just had the wrong oil / filter.
When I replaced the gearbox I had ordered a kit from ZF, with an original filter and 'ZF LifeGuard fluid'. Still works great.

I know the sound of a dying pump. That 'grinds' too, but these are two very different sounds. I'm curious if this is really the same sound you heard.

Old 09-27-2022, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member

that does not sound like mine did which had a much tinnier sound. more like rattling baffles . Just like Dickerson .I noticed it most when driving past a 100 yeard long brick wall with the passenger window open at about 20 mph. Lots of brick walls here with brick houses close to the road .

Last edited by Pistnbroke; 09-28-2022 at 02:05 AM.
Old 09-28-2022, 02:13 AM
Veteran Member

I am trying to send a copy of your video to my gearbox expert ..retired ..he does not open his e mails every day but if he has heard it he will know .

Update

Managed to get a copy to him but we now have to wait .

Last edited by Pistnbroke; 09-28-2022 at 03:17 AM.
Old 10-01-2022, 02:03 PM

Sorry to say my Jag hasn't moved for a while - she's in the garage waiting until I have some time :-/
I do plan on getting her up and dropping the transmission - I'll have a look at it and hopefully replacing the torque converter will do they trick. I just won't be able to justify the cost of taking it to someone for a rebuild to my wife so I'll have to tackle it alone

Old 10-01-2022, 02:04 PM

Mine sounds a lot like this - perhaps not as 'heavy knock' sounding but I think that could just be the camera mic

Old 10-02-2022, 02:04 AM
Veteran Member

I only had the rattle sound when the engine was cold..when hot it changed to a rythmical grind/rumble.
If you are determined to take out the tranny then why not put in a proper filter first and correct oil. If it dont cure it you can re use the oil and filter on your re build ..I think you can pull the torque converter from the front so nothing lost.
Here is the MEYLE one from germany £21 Item no
152234298289 If you are desperate I could post it to you .

Don B (10-24-2022)
Old 10-02-2022, 02:43 PM

That's a great idea actually... certainly worth a try!

I can at least drain it first and see if there's anything nasty lurking in the pan before dropping the whole thing out... I do miss driving her!

Originally Posted by Pistnbroke
I only had the rattle sound when the engine was cold..when hot it changed to a rythmical grind/rumble.
If you are determined to take out the tranny then why not put in a proper filter first and correct oil. If it dont cure it you can re use the oil and filter on your re build ..I think you can pull the torque converter from the front so nothing lost.
Here is the MEYLE one from germany £21 Item no
152234298289 If you are desperate I could post it to you .

Old 10-24-2022, 02:38 AM
Veteran Member